Why does my Surface 3 randomly shut down?

Mohammad Arshad

Oct 30, 2013
Visit site
Surface 3 randomly shuts down

Hi

Sorry if this is a repost. My mom is using the Surface 3 64gb version running Windows 10. When the battery is less than 50% and she is Skyping or watching some media then the Surface decides to randomly shuts down. Some times it will work as normal and nothing will happen, but around 30-40% of the times it shuts down.

Anyone else facing a similar issue? And if so is there some way to fix this?

Thank You

Chintan Gohel

May 23, 2014
Visit site
Re: Surface 3 randomly shuts down

Hi

Sorry if this is a repost. My mom is using the Surface 3 64gb version running Windows 10. When the battery is less than 50% and she is Skyping or watching some media then the Surface decides to randomly shuts down. Some times it will work as normal and nothing will happen, but around 30-40% of the times it shuts down.

Anyone else facing a similar issue? And if so is there some way to fix this?

Thank You

is the surface old? Might be the battery

ALToronto

Apr 9, 2014
Visit site
I am seeing this too, but not nearly as often as your mom. I think it's a memory or cache issue - I have the 4/128 GB version, and I get the random shutdown about once a week. I do, however, get laggy performance after lengthy browsing, for example, and I deliberately reboot. I think this keeps random shutdowns to a minimum.

It could be that some app or process is running in the background, using up resources. It also could be that the battery indicator is showing a lower charge than it actually has, or else the power consumption is happening at a very high rate, and the Surface is shutting down because it's calculating that the battery will be at 0 in X minutes.

In any event, your mom is not alone with this problem, and deliberate reboots may help mitigate it.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
powerupgo