connected standby don't work

OberstDanjeje

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
On my Surface 3 the connected standby don't work.
I'm sure is enabled because I saw it in the power diagnose but I never got a notification when the Surface in off.
Before I had a Samsung Ativ Smart PC and it worked very well.

There i way to fix it?

Thanks

OberstDanjeje

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
I never gota notification when the screen is off.
On the Ativ I was used to use an app to notify me when my football team score. It worked great but don't work in the Surface.
I got the notifications when turn on the device

rbcameron

Nov 15, 2015
Visit site
Have you looked at the settings in Settings > System > Notifications and Actions?

Is Quiet Hours turned on? (You can check this in the Action Centre)

rbcameron

Nov 15, 2015
Visit site
Yes, I have an S3, non-Pro, running Windows 10.

It looks like I don't get email notifications from the standard app when the tablet is asleep. I do get notifications from Alarms and from Calendar, so it's not like the machine is incapable of sounding them while asleep.

I think the problem may actually be that Mail does not receive messages while the tablet is asleep. It's not listed among the programs in Settings > Privacy > Background apps (whereas Alarms and Calendar both are). It seems to me that when I send an email message to my tablet it notifies me within a few seconds if it's awake - either on the lock screen or unlocked. However, if it's asleep, and I wait 10 seconds, then wake it, I immediately get the notification - even if I just wake to the lock screen.

Perhaps this was a deliberate decision by MS to reduce power usage during sleep.

OberstDanjeje

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
Incidentally yesterday evening I tested the alarm app and it work as expected.
After your post I tested calendar and it work.
I see your point about background apps but the mail app work in background or you'll get notification only when open and in foreground.
I use another app, tile livescore, it notify me when my team score a gol, it worked well on the Ativ but not on the Surface 3 and this app is one of that in the background.
On windows 8 the notification from the mail app worked when in stand by.
I think there is a problem with Wi-Fi because the app who don't use Wi-Fi work and the one who use Wi-Fi don't

rbcameron

Nov 15, 2015
Visit site
You could be right that the problem is WiFi not working while the tablet is asleep. Do you have the settings in Settings > System > Power & sleep > Wi-Fi turned on? I do, but perhaps this still doesn't work.

It's hard to tell whether the explanation is that Wi-Fi doesn't work during sleep or that these particular programs don't do background processing during sleep. I guess the end result is the same!

OberstDanjeje

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
Sure, the setting is checked
Yesterday I got 1 notification from Live Score when the screen was off, but not the other one.
Maybe when I got the notification I just turned off the Surface

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss