Battery Life for Surface 3 on insider build 14342

bockersjv

Jun 25, 2014
Visit site
I have had this insider build for over a week and above the fact that it is the most stable build I have used I have to report that the battery life is outstanding.

Standby usage is tiny over a period of 48hrs. Real time usage at work and a full 7hr working day with 30% remaining still. Recharging seems more stable too. Other benefits seem to be a lack of the USB disconnect bug, and so far no Driver Power State failures.

I would hate to go back to standard build now!

eagle63

Dec 30, 2015
Visit site
Standby usage is tiny over a period of 48hrs.!

Can you expand a bit on that? Also, to be clear you're not talking about hibernate right? But rather, the "connected standby" mode? Because my S3 loses about 3 - 5% per hour when in standby. (which is horrible, btw) I would LOVE it if microsoft has actually improved the standby time.

mikelino666

Nov 14, 2015
Visit site
Originally posted by eagle63
Originally Posted by bockersjv

Standby usage is tiny over a period of 48hrs.!

Can you expand a bit on that? Also, to be clear you're not talking about hibernate right? But rather, the "connected standby" mode? Because my S3 loses about 3 - 5% per hour when in standby. (which is horrible, btw) I would LOVE it if microsoft has actually improved the standby time.
I think that 5% is too much.. You should check some hidden bug in your system..actually there was something in reddit forum that was explain how to save battery.. I'm loosing almost 2.70 per hour and it's still too much

eagle63

Dec 30, 2015
Visit site
I think that 5% is too much.. You should check some hidden bug in your system..actually there was something in reddit forum that was explain how to save battery.. I'm loosing almost 2.70 per hour and it's still too much

Hmm, it was that way when I bought my S3 and hasn't changed (good or bad) since. Based on asking around various forums months ago, it seemed like my 3 - 5% number was pretty much inline with what *most* people were experiencing. And I've spent more than a little time running the "sleepstudy" tool that MS added to powercfg and analyzing the results. It's never anything I added - just built-in MS services. (Cortana, weather app, other random miscellaneous stuff ,etc) I've actually got mine set to go to hibernate mode after 60 minutes now, which sucks but at least means my battery isn't dead in 24 hours.

Edit: but yes you're right, the larger point is that even 2.7% per hour is way too much. As a reference, my iPad probably loses in a week of standby what my S3 loses in an hour. (and yes it's still "on" in the sense that it's receiving notifications, messages, etc) I'm not expecting that kind of performance from my S3 given that it's got an x86 chipset, but still - wow.

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes