Surface 3 stuck at "updating system" screen

moody

May 14, 2017
Visit site
I have a Surface 3 (non-pro version)that was running Windows 8.1 Update that I wanted to factory reset but when I tried I got the "media files are missing" message. So I followed the instructions to reset by creating a mediacreationtool and plugging it into the USB. That worked, as it reset to factory Windows 8.1 (not 8.1 Update).

I noticed a bunch of drivers missing and it wouldnt update to so I was going to load missing drivers using the Surface 3 Wifi Win8x file but when I powered it on, it gave me a screen saying it was updating. However it wont get past this screen.

I have tried various ways to boot it such as holding the power and volume button and choosing various opitons but none work. I cant get it to load the desktop and I dont know what else to try.

Help?

sd4f

Feb 8, 2013
Visit site
You'll have to do a recovery.

I've only tried it with Windows 10, which worked fine, so can't say what you need to do. I'm pretty sure that if you have the recovery files on a USB, if you go into the boot menu (i.e. press the power and volume key as you've done) then you can recover from the USB, you won't need it to boot in to desktop.

Also windows 10 is available for all surface 3's, you won't need a key. I'd recommend it over windows 8.1.

Also make sure you download the surface 3 recovery image from microsoft. You'll need the device serial number (it's printed under the kickstand). You can download it from here: https://www.microsoft.com/surface/en-au/support/warranty-service-and-recovery/downloadablerecoveryimage

moody

May 14, 2017
Visit site
Ok I will try win 10 since I cannot get windows 8.1 to work. When you loaded 10 did your system have 8.1 or 10 on it?

sd4f

Feb 8, 2013
Visit site
I bought mine second hand, it already had W10 on it, but seemed a bit weird, so I reinstalled. But if you use the MS recovery it's exactly like the factory installation. It will have all the drivers and everything to work properly.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss