Here is the situation: I have a S3 with a dead MicroUSB port, that means no charging via this port regardless of charger/cable. I have the dock, so I can charge between uses, but this is very inconvenient and not portable at all. I might be willing to experiment, but don't want to do something outright stupid either. So I figured I would run an idea by you guys and see what your thoughts were.

Here is my (probably flawed and sort of expensive) solution:
    Smarter people than me have already figured out that the dock supplies power through the MiniDisplayPort (MDP). Since there is no direct charger available utilizing this type of port I would have to try an indirect route. My idea is to buy a USB-C charging brick, with a rare USB-C to MDP cable ($40-$50 total cost). I have no idea if this will work, and if it does it will likely blow my device up, right? Of course if I am right then theoretically I could charge the S3 at much higher speeds, similar to the dock, which would be awesome!!! Any thoughts or other ideas?
    06-13-2017 04:34 PM