Illustrator or Photoshop for digital drawing??

xiangyu

Aug 13, 2018
Visit site
I am a digital artist. I didn't see a thread about difference between this two software , and it seemed like no one has given their impressions on this oftware so I wanted to put together something quick to kickstart a discussion or something.

Illustrator is a vector based application and Photoshop is an image editor. That means Photoshop works with pixels and Illustrator does not. Illustrator drawings can be scaled and printed at any size without loss of image quality. The lines are very clean and sharp, which is great for logo design and illustration. Photoshop drawings can be more similar to drawing with traditional media like pencils, or chalk, or paint, if that's what you want.

If you draw in Photoshop it is important to plan ahead for final output size. If you want to eventually print your drawing at 16" x 20", then you need to start with a document that big, at a resolution of at least 150 ppi (depending on how it will be printed). When you draw in Illustrator you don't have to worry about any of that in the beginning.

What kind of drawing are you trying to create? What's the final intent for the drawing? Do you want a super sharp clean edge drawing, or something more organic? You have to answer those questions before you can get the correct answer.

IF you decide that Photoshop is perfect for your drawing needs, then you must get a pressure sensitive drawing tablet . XP-Pen makes a affordable and well-built graphics tablets.

https://www.xp-pen.com/goods/lists/catid/118.html

I combine drawing and photography for my composite art. I start the old fashion way with pencil on paper, then color it in Photoshop. The final look is much different then something created in Illustrator. Here's my most recent drawing composite.

Von Glitschka is the best Illustrator artist I know. His work has a completely different look and style. He primarily works in Illustrator and has written several books and recorded several Lynda.com courses about his workflow.

Patrick Lamontagne is a cartoon artist who does all of his work in Photoshop, including the line drawing part. He also does photo realistic paintings completely with Photoshop.

I hope somebody can find this helpful. Let me know.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
quicktravo