Surface Book 2 Pre-Order / Waiting Room

James Falconer

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site
Are you going to pre-order a Surface Book 2? If so, jump in the waiting room right here to discuss the SB2, and tell us which model you ended up ordering!!

wynand32

Jun 16, 2014
Visit site
I'll likely order a 15-inch 16GB/512GB via the Surface Plus program. Will be much easier to handle the outlay with zero-interest financing. The Surface Plus program doesn't list the Surface Book at all at the moment, so I'm assuming the Surface Book 2 will pop up pretty immediately once it's available.

The best alternative would be to purchase from Costco if they carry it -- they usually add in some value (I'm guessing they'll include the pen) and when purchased with a Costco Visa you end up with four years of warranty. And then you have that 90-day return policy to make really sure it's a good unit.

But regardless, I've pretty much decided it's the closest thing to the perfect notebook. The only box it doesn't check is a true 4K display, but as a writer I do appreciate 3:2 and can live with the slightly lower resolution. Honestly, I'm pretty excited about the machine, after being a bit disappointed at the lack of a meaningful Surface Book update for so long.

FXi2

Sep 1, 2012
Visit site
15" for sure at this point
I cannot decide (since I may well keep this a good amount of time) whether I should stick with 512 or splurge for the 1TB. I've been back and forth and it really is the last "decision" to make and I'm still stuck. /sigh

terreos

Dec 26, 2014
Visit site
15" for sure at this point
I cannot decide (since I may well keep this a good amount of time) whether I should stick with 512 or splurge for the 1TB. I've been back and forth and it really is the last "decision" to make and I'm still stuck. /sigh

1TB. Just DO IT!

I’m in the same boat actually. I think I’m going to get a surface book 2, but can’t make a final choice on storage.

wynand32

Jun 16, 2014
Visit site
1TB. Just DO IT!

I’m in the same boat actually. I think I’m going to get a surface book 2, but can’t make a final choice on storage.

I've gone back and forth, but I'm having a hard time justifying $400 for the extra 512GB. That's a lot of money for half a terabyte of SSD. Now, I get it that it's one of those things where I'll be happier to have it and not need it, then need it and not have it. And it's not upgradable...

But man, it's hard enough justifying $2900 on a notebook purchase, let alone $3300. Ouch.

FXi2

Sep 1, 2012
Visit site
Exactly it's not like they throw any bones at you for stepping up like a free pen or Complete built into the price.

terreos

Dec 26, 2014
Visit site
Yeah I know. It’s really a gotcha thing. If you don’t get the 1TB and you run out of room you can’t upgrade. And 512GB is really easy to fill these days.

But I guess a good alternative is to get the 512GB model and buy a good external usb c ssd down the road and keep most of your files there.

wpcautobot

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Played around with the new Surface Book 2 at the local MS store. It is really a fantastic device! You can tell that they really refined it. The hinge is great, sturdy, and is beautiful in that they beveled and polished the edges of the metal of each piece. Once I come up with a diabolical plan to warrant needing this, I'll get it!

FXi2

Sep 1, 2012
Visit site
2.5 days left...

Bit nervous about SD cards up and dying. Backups are taken yes, but worried about how fragile they might be. Thoughts?

1TB drive "might" be a Storage Spaces 2x512 based drive. This has been known to complicate certain restoration methods. It's not insurmountable, just keep your eyes open. I'll see if I can find one in a store.

Do we have any signs of a USB to DP adapter from MS? What version of DP they might be outputting from the USB C port?

Do we have a ship date on the USB C to HDMI adapter?

Anyone have info on the AdobeRGB and P3 coverage on the 15" screen which is a new design?

Given the 15" is a larger chassis someone should see if a full size SD card sits almost flush when inserted. That might bypass the adapters.

FXi2

Sep 1, 2012
Visit site
Sigh... I really hope it gets here tomorrow. I know it's best to have a fully baked cake and not to rush the baking process, but I'm quite looking forward to this device. Where I work remotely a lot, having it up and running as my work machine before Thanksgiving will be instantly useful. Just have to hope I guess.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss