Windows Mixed Reality on SB2

DCTonkaTruck

Jun 21, 2014
Visit site
Does anyone out there have a great solution for running the Mixed Reality other than Surface Dock + Mini-DP-->HDMI? Anything that will work with USB-C?

koenshaku

Nov 5, 2011
Visit site
Yeah this is the biggest shame for the device right now. My brother and I watched the trailer they advertise the device with mixed reality and have the woman looking at the stars in a with the Samsung Odyssey VR HMD on and I almost wet my pants, but I already purchased a gamer laptop from Asus with a GTX 1070 enabled for my Vive and MR HMD. My brother however does wet his pants and gets the Surface Book 2 and the Samsung Odyssey only to find the USB-C is a crappy USB 3.1 gen 1 port that is no faster than USB 3.0 port and it is connected to the intel integrated GPU and not the discrete GTX 1060 according to some reports I read online. He has a Desktop system he can use his Samsung with, but he has been cursing everything Microsoft since and saying consumer reports was right etc etc.

I really had no answer for him, I think MS needs to at least take the MR out of their trailer because it is a ghosting mess on it and I can already see a class action lawsuit materializing at some point. I love my Surface Pro, but I don't see how they could have messed this up so badly with the surface book 2 and I hope it is repairable and it isn't using really Intel Iris off the port.. >_>

FangerZero

Oct 17, 2017
Visit site
That's funny because they're selling the SB2 13" bundled with WMR right now and on the SB2 product page it claims the i7 chips will work with WMR, but requires adapters etc. for the HDMI and needs USB-C.

Jasper1414

Nov 24, 2017
Visit site
koenshaku said: "... the USB-C is a crappy USB 3.1 gen 1 port that is no faster than [a] USB 3.0 port and it is connected to the intel integrated GPU and not the discrete GTX 1060 according to some reports I read online."

This makes no sense. The mini-DisplayPort in the original Surface Book certainly was connected to the discrete graphics chips in those models that had them. I cannot imagine that Microsoft would have replaced the mini-DisplayPort with a USB-C port that did not connect to the discrete graphics.

Can someone else who owns a Surface Book 2 dispute this claim? Did Microsoft actually go backwards with this new model?

Last edited:

B0jse

Mar 3, 2018
Visit site
koenshaku said: "... the USB-C is a crappy USB 3.1 gen 1 port that is no faster than [a] USB 3.0 port and it is connected to the intel integrated GPU and not the discrete GTX 1060 according to some reports I read online."

This makes no sense. The mini-DisplayPort in the original Surface Book certainly was connected to the discrete graphics chips in those models that had them. I cannot imagine that Microsoft would have replaced the mini-DisplayPort with a USB-C port that did not connect to the discrete graphics.

Can someone else who owns a Surface Book 2 dispute this claim? Did Microsoft actually go backwards with this new model?

It works fine:
https://www.reddit.com/r/Surface/co...ace_book_2_run_windows_mixed_reality/dq3nrjs/

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb