Power throttling modes

petvas72

Nov 2, 2016
Visit site
Which power mode are you using when on power and when on battery?

Why not use the "best performance" mode when on power? Is there a reason why someone would select a different mode? I understand that when on battery the laptop should try to save battery life, but why throttle when on power?
Any comments or thoughts on this?

Regarding battery life, does anyone know in which mode most tests are being performed? Are the testers using the recommended (default) setting?

Last edited:

petvas72

Nov 2, 2016
Visit site
It will be louder only if you play high performance games. Only then. I have tried encoding videos and I hear nothing. The system stays quiet.

v0lum3

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Im using "balanced" on battery, seems the best balance of batterylife and performance. Plugged in, im using "better performance", seems to be a good balance between noise and performance when for example playing games.

Cheers! :)

petvas72

Nov 2, 2016
Visit site
I am using balanced in all modes and when I want more performance I switch to best performance when the laptop is plugged in and better performance when on battery.

Mattemt294

Jan 30, 2018
Visit site
I am using best performance on power and recommended on battery. The best performance mode means it wont throttle the cpu or gpu if the system needs to use it.

So if you are playing a game or doing some heavy work on the surface book, it wont run as well unless you set it to best, but best does drain battery so if you are unplugged and you don't need the extra boost in performance for what you are doing, you should turn it down.

As far as Nvidia, download the NVidia GeForce experience from NVidia's website. It will add the control panel to the right click menu on the desktop and will also give you the most recent drivers. This app also optimizes the game settings in any game you download for the card and system as well.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99