SB2 15 - Windows Hello/Cameras not working in Device Manager

notrichyet

May 30, 2013
Visit site
Has anyone else with the SB2 15" got issues with the front and IR cameras?

In Device Manager mine show the exclamation mark and the error is that they cannot be started.

I have ran through all Windows Updates, Surface driver download, all Store apps up to date, nothing else I can find to update...but the same issue. I have uninstalled the devices via Device Manager, they re-install with the same issue whether I remove the driver files or not, or try a reboot between removal and re-scan.

In Sign In Options, it states that Windows Hello is not available on this device.

MS support have me trying a system reset which is in progress, but I wondered if I'm alone in this or not? The next step they said is to speak to the Store on the phone (ordered online from MS UK direct so no local Store) and they can arrange a replacement.

Chris

notrichyet

May 30, 2013
Visit site
After having no clue how to reply...as one view of the post has no buttons and a different layout....

It's just Windows Hello - the Windows Camera app is fine.

In Device Manager, the IR Camera and Front Camera show the exclamation mark, and the error shown is about it cannot be turned on.

The reset is taking hours...sat at 34% now for about 45 minutes...

spicypadthai

Feb 27, 2014
Visit site
If it's been added to a domain and you're using a domain account to log in, then you need to add a reg key to enable Windows Hello. We have 3 SB 2's at work and had the same issue initially with Windows Hello "not available." After adding the key, it works great.

Log in with an admin account, copy/paste the syntax below into notepad, save the file with a .reg extension, and then double click the file.

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\System]
"AllowDomainPINLogon"=dword:00000001

notrichyet

May 30, 2013
Visit site
Thanks, it isn't that - there are two errors in Device Manager for the Front Camera and the IR Camera - both state the power cannot be turned on. It has never been on a domain, just setup at home as a normal device. Setting that reg key didn't change anything.

I've restored twice, no driver or OS updates left to apply, so it has gone back today.

Unfortunately I don't know if they were working before loads of MS updates applied, as I didn't go to set up Hello until after they were all done. When the replacement arrives I'll skip all network connectivity and check Device Manager before doing anything to be sure.

This seems to have been an issue on other Surface devices with the same errors, though none of the 'fixes' worked.

It isn't something I can find mentioned anywhere online r.e. the SB2 so I'm hoping it was just a one-off hardware fault.

spicypadthai

Feb 27, 2014
Visit site
Sorry to hear that but it sounds like you had a lemon. I'm assuming you'll be fine with a new one and it's worth it. Windows Hello is super fast on the SB2.

notrichyet

May 30, 2013
Visit site
Fingers crossed, the original is due with MS returns tomorrow, so I should have the replacement shortly - MS support were excellent.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thehinac