Heating when running external monitors

Maxim Alexeyev

Feb 24, 2015
Visit site
Hi,

Got my new Surface Book 2 couple days ago i7,16GB/512GB. Was very happy about everything until I connected it to dock and 2 external monitor. Now, working for about 4 hours with these two monitors, but closed SB2 lid (I don't need 3rd monitor), it looks like SB2 heats more than I would expect it to.

I ran Intel Extreme Tuning Utility to monitor CPU temperature. It mostly runs within 55C-80C range, which sounds not too bad. but the book itself just hot when I touch it.

Not sure if I have to worry about this heating.

Chintan Gohel

May 23, 2014
Visit site
Hi,

Got my new Surface Book 2 couple days ago i7,16GB/512GB. Was very happy about everything until I connected it to dock and 2 external monitor. Now, working for about 4 hours with these two monitors, but closed SB2 lid (I don't need 3rd monitor), it looks like SB2 heats more than I would expect it to.

I ran Intel Extreme Tuning Utility to monitor CPU temperature. It mostly runs within 55C-80C range, which sounds not too bad. but the book itself just hot when I touch it.

Not sure if I have to worry about this heating.

are you sure the surface book screen isn't also displaying?

anon(5327127)

May 25, 2011
Visit site
Think about where the vent for the nVidia card is... I simply wouldn't close the Surface Book. Other than that it's early days as the machine will be indexing, sorting libraries and ordering pizza.

Have you updated the Dock's firmware via the update application?

Mattemt294

Jan 30, 2018
Visit site
Excalibur seems have the best solution. Keeping it shut can impede airflow and keeps the components closer together. The more surface area exposed to air the better.

someoneinwa

May 7, 2011
Visit site
Agree that you need to keep the Surface Book open to help with cooling. Just turn of the SB screen in Settings>Display. Works slick and automatically changes when you disconnect the SB from the monitors and then plug back in.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99