Surface 3 in S Mode

thatcoolyo

Sep 15, 2016
Visit site
Just curious - has anyone tried putting Windows S (S mode) on a Surface 3?
If so, has it help with performance and speed on the device?

I have a Surface 3 but on Windows 10 Home and in order to put it in S mode, I need Pro edition to switch (which is $130 for upgrade).

If someone has tried and it does help, maybe I can consider the upgrade.

Thanks!

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
I had a Surface 3 LTE and let me tell you, do as @Timbre70 suggests and get a new device. I went for the Acer Spin 1 from the Microsoft Store. It's $250 and runs beautifully in S-Mode. Very good battery life (10X better than the Surface 3), upgrading to 10 Pro is free and it comes with a stylus.

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Windows S won’t be tangibly faster. Just a bit more foolproof, as in, there will be less access allowed, so less to go wrong.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
Windows S won’t be tangibly faster. Just a bit more foolproof, as in, there will be less access allowed, so less to go wrong.

It's noticeably faster and battery life is a lot better than x86 or x64. I ad 10 Pro when I first got the Spin and it was ok. The first update that it gave me the choice to go with S-Mode so I gave it a shot. I have no intention to go back to Pro anytime soon. Yes, if you must install .exe progs then I don't recommend it. Like, at all. Edge has come a ways and you won't miss Firefox one bit.

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
It's noticeably faster and battery life is a lot better than x86 or x64. I ad 10 Pro when I first got the Spin and it was ok. The first update that it gave me the choice to go with S-Mode so I gave it a shot. I have no intention to go back to Pro anytime soon. Yes, if you must install .exe progs then I don't recommend it. Like, at all. Edge has come a ways and you won't miss Firefox one bit.

That blows me away, looks like I have some homework to do!

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
My biggest irritant with Intel-based Windows laptops, tablets, whatever, is the hibernate after sleep if it's been a while. For $250 it's more than worth it to try S-Mode before committing to a Snapdragon-equipped and its "instant on" goodness.

Drael646464

Apr 2, 2017
Visit site

It makes some sense. Everything from the store is containerized, so less background services, and OS intergration.

Additionally, win s itself runs a few less windows services. You get this sort of 'services' build up in windows, where eventually every app is running some useless thing in the background, and windows includes a lot of services for security and networking than regular home users don't need.

Basically, it should be more trim in the background department. Something one could achieve oneself with some management and trimming.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kuyhaa