Digital artist's best choice? Book or Pro 4?

AaHaa

Oct 15, 2012
Visit site
All this time I've waited and refrained myself from buying a Surface Pro 3 and now I don't know what to choose. Who saw that coming, right?

I'm an illustrator/animator/game artist. Which device is better for me, the Surface Pro 4 or the Surface Book?

Few things to consider:
- We (our company) were originally planning to get me a Surface Pro 4 and a desktop PC for the heavier work. Surface Book would take away the need for such a PC, so it would cost us hundreds of dollars less.
- The Surface Pro 4, with it's kickstand, looks to be more comfortable to draw on. I think you'll only be able to draw on the Surface Book if you let it lean against something.
- The bulkier specs of the Book are nice, but not necessary. I'd be great for 3D modelling and stuff, but even my old Yoga 13 still runs Photoshop as a charm. Then again, the Book might be top of the line a bit longer than the Pro 4.

So, what would you guys do if you were me?

rhapdog

Retired Senior Ambassador
Aug 26, 2014
Visit site
I'd go for the book. The display not only detaches, but re-attaches in the other direction so that you can use the keyboard as a stand. If it is a stand you are needing, well, it's got that in the keyboard.

Not to mention, graphics power. You aren't going to match the graphics power of this thing with anything else that can be a laptop AND tablet.

The book is pure awesome.

Also, with the way this baby looks, with the clean "Mirrored Windows Logo" on the back, it will make people at the coffee shop sit up and take notice. It will be all like, "Hey, that's not an Apple on it, but it looks great! What is it? I've got to see this!" Then you can show them how it runs circles around any MacBook they have, and then pop it off and show how it also runs circles around the iPad Pro. Haha!

Yeah, I think for illustrating and animation, this is a great choice. As long as it's in your budget, you'll find it hard to find something it's not a good choice for. Lightweight and long enough battery for school, power for work. Even great for games. What's not to love in this package?

Great deal

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
I was eyeing up the upcoming XPS15 as it can run 3 external displays, can the Book run 3 with that dock , Panay mentioned two 4k displays.

StevoPhilo

Oct 7, 2013
Visit site
If you need just to draw and use photoshop I would say the Pro 4 is fine, but since you're looking into getting a new desktop I would just say go with the Surface Book since it definitely has that desktop performance in a laptop/tablet form factor.

AaHaa

Oct 15, 2012
Visit site
I'd go for the book. The display not only detaches, but re-attaches in the other direction so that you can use the keyboard as a stand. If it is a stand you are needing, well, it's got that in the keyboard.

Wow wait. I didn't know that. Okay, but then I can't use my keyboard, right? The beauty of the SP4 is that I can position the screen at JUST the right angle to draw on and it won't collapse under the pressure of my hand because the kickstand is so sturdy. Also, I can use keyboard shortcuts as I'm working. How would I reproduce that setup with the Surface Book?

StevoPhilo

Oct 7, 2013
Visit site
Wow wait. I didn't know that. Okay, but then I can't use my keyboard, right? The beauty of the SP4 is that I can position the screen at JUST the right angle to draw on and it won't collapse under the pressure of my hand because the kickstand is so sturdy. Also, I can use keyboard shortcuts as I'm working. How would I reproduce that setup with the Surface Book?

Bluetooth or wireless keyboard?

ClixT

Oct 10, 2012
Visit site

And that's why we have ArtDock for that. ;)

kimohno

Oct 9, 2015
Visit site
Hey!

I had the same expectation as you. I spoke to different Microsoft Guys and they all said if you really want to Paint and Use Photoshop you should choose the Pro 4! That's important guys, even microsoft says it. Putting the screen in the other way around on the Book DON't give you any angels. And if you have to pack external type etc it is not a portable device anymore. As an Artist I would go for the Surface Pro 4. If anyone knows more, please let me know.

ytrewq

May 22, 2014
Visit site
Advantages of Surface Book: (a) Better keyboard; (b) GPU.

Do either of those things matter to you? If your primary use of the keyboard is for shortcuts, then either keyboard should work well. As for the GPU, your original post is ambiguous. First, you mention that you were going to get a PC for the "heavier" work, but you don't mention what that is. Later, you say the higher specs of the Book are not necessary. You need to make up your mind whether the GPU matters.

If either of those things matter, get the Book. If not, save your money and about 1 pound and get the SP4.

AaHaa

Oct 15, 2012
Visit site
Advantages of Surface Book: (a) Better keyboard; (b) GPU.

Do either of those things matter to you? If your primary use of the keyboard is for shortcuts, then either keyboard should work well. As for the GPU, your original post is ambiguous. First, you mention that you were going to get a PC for the "heavier" work, but you don't mention what that is. Later, you say the higher specs of the Book are not necessary. You need to make up your mind whether the GPU matters.

If either of those things matter, get the Book. If not, save your money and about 1 pound and get the SP4.

The bigger screen and higher resolution is also a big plus the Book has.
Yeah maybe I should clarify a bit: we're not doing (a lot of) 3D work right now, but we wanna have a device that's capable of doing some heavy 3D lifting in the future (Maya, zBrush, Mudbox). That's why we wanted to get the PC, but if the Book can handle that as well...
What I meant with saying the high specs aren't necessary is that I don't NEED the specs since I mostly work in Photoshop and Flash.

ArtDock looks amazing by the way, thanks ClixT!

mc511

Oct 10, 2015
Visit site
3d work can probably be done on the Surface book. Just not sure how well. I would always use a desktop for my 3d work while my web design or photoshop work can easily be done on a laptop. I am sure the GPU can handle it but it depends i guess on how complex the project is. I also wouldnt do 3d modeling on the machine itself. Id probably connect it to an external monitor for better viewing.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velocityxs