What do YOU see as the Best feature of the new Surface Book?

rhapdog

Retired Senior Ambassador
Aug 26, 2014
Visit site
Well, how about it? What do you think is the best feature of the Surface Book? I'm having a bit of trouble deciding myself, but after I give it a bit more thought, I'll try to figure it out and post back with it.

If you can't settle for one feature, tell us your top 3 or top 5!

I guess #1: It detaches! That's the biggest shocker of all. Microsoft had some sort of HoloLens secrecy going on with this product.

StevoPhilo

Oct 7, 2013
Visit site
To be honest it has to be a mix of things. If I had to say in the top three it would be a combination of these in no particular order.

1)Weight
2)Thickness
3)Performance

The book is LIGHTER than the SP4 the SP3 and still has better performance It may be slightly thicker in some aspects, but to have that capability is insane.

Even Apples MBP looks like old tech cause of this.

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
Discrete graphics card.

I'm a 3D artist who loves my Surface Pro 3. But one thing I wish it had was a discrete graphics card so that I could create content while on "vacation".

ClixT

Oct 10, 2012
Visit site
As an ex Industrial Designer, the Book pretty much satisfied all my needs:
  1. Pressure sensitive pen (for sketching concepts): Checked
  2. Discrete Graphics (for Solidworks, possibly Keyshot): Checked
  3. Battery Life: Checked
  4. Versatility: Checked

Conclusion: I may sell my Spectre x360! lol

TheCudder

Sep 22, 2013
Visit site
The book is LIGHTER than the SP4 the SP3 and still has better performance It may be slightly thicker in some aspects, but to have that capability is insane.

I wouldn't say that that's insane, as the Surface Book has the benefit of being able to split the components into to two pieces of hardware. The USB ports, display port & GPU are all in the keyboard base, so it makes it easier to be lighter when undocked, whereas everything has to be crammed into the display on the Surface Pro models.

Squachy

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
The detachability. It's pretty much a surface pro 4 once you detach it. And then becomes a pretty powerful laptop with the keyboard

Dariusz1989

Oct 6, 2015
Visit site
The only reason why I'm not buying it its because there is no USB on screen. Everything else is perfect.

Also I would love to see an option where we can detach the screen and "glue" it to keyboard. SO its as thin as it gets so that I can travel - airports etc etc... Space is precious !

wplee

Aug 30, 2014
Visit site
The design. It reminds me of Ikea business furniture, especially the hinge. Premium yet well built and ready to do actual work. Microsoft's designers are doing the business, apart from the bland Lumia 950.

tedj101

Jul 3, 2015
Visit site
To be honest it has to be a mix of things. If I had to say in the top three it would be a combination of these in no particular order.

1)Weight
2)Thickness
3)Performance

Even Apples MBP looks like old tech cause of this.

I'd agree with this and add in the screen and Windows 10. This isn't idle speculation on my part. I just pre-ordered one (the most sophisticated one that is actually available for pre-order - none of the really high end models are available yet).

<TED>

Dim-Ize

Jul 7, 2005
Visit site
I waited the upgrade of my SP2 to SP3 in eager anticipation of this launch. I don't know... I love the idea of the Surface Book - but, can't see myself buying it without the stand. I know that is so silly to most people, but I often have my SP2 out for tablet only or on an airplane when laptops are put away I can still use it. Would have been ideal for me to have a Sp4 with the bottom of the Surface Book as an optional accessory for battery, GPU and full work vs the Type Cover. I think I'm on the fence until I play with both new devices in stores. Maybe there will be a SP4s, hah.

randykouhai

Oct 8, 2015
Visit site
dGPU and the penabled detaching screen. I'm a decent gamer and wannabe hobbyist digital artist, it's so nice that they fit everything into one single device. I mean, you can't draw on the screen with MBP unless you have a Cintiq which costs same as as an SP4. Sure, it's more professional but the portability is close to none. I've said it everywhere and I'll keep saying it, this is the perfect device for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ytrewq

May 22, 2014
Visit site
Build quality/craftsmanship. I tried it in-person, and this device makes every other tablet/laptop you've ever used feel like a cheap toy.

CygnusOrion

Oct 6, 2015
Visit site
Build quality/craftsmanship. I tried it in-person, and this device makes every other tablet/laptop you've ever used feel like a cheap toy.

Agreed, for the first time Windows users have a laptop that is of a build quality that is not inferior to a Mac. I've been buying Macs for a lot of years and installing Windows for that reason. Going forward I might not need to do that anymore, especially if MS steps up and makes an all in one to rival the iMac.

leo74

Oct 22, 2012
Visit site
The combination of power and design, really.
This is the first time I am using a Windows laptop that is extremely powerful AND looks amazing. Love at first start. :)

erzhik

Nov 5, 2011
Visit site
Charging cable. Small feature, yes. If you want to replace even wall outlet part of cable, you have to shell out $60. With Surface Book, you can replace it with any laptop power cable made in the last 10 years and still have the same result. While Surface Book's wall outlet part of cable is very short, Microsoft made it easy for us by allowing us to use our old extra-long cables we have laying around.

Devhux

Feb 4, 2008
Visit site
Charging cable. Small feature, yes. If you want to replace even wall outlet part of cable, you have to shell out $60. With Surface Book, you can replace it with any laptop power cable made in the last 10 years and still have the same result. While Surface Book's wall outlet part of cable is very short, Microsoft made it easy for us by allowing us to use our old extra-long cables we have laying around.

Really?

The power cable for my Elitebook 2730p is quite long - maybe I'll use that instead when I'm travelling. :)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kuyhaa