Why on earth is there no USB on screen !?

Dariusz1989

Oct 6, 2015
Visit site
The second I saw presentation and Book edition I was like... 16 gb, 512gb ssd. preorder- now.

Then I looked at screen and there is no USB driver on screen.

Why is there no usb drive on screen ? :(

I am a photographer. That travel and take pictures on the go. From a while now I wanted a tablet like device that would be light, can run for 10h in idle/active mode and help me check shoots on the go as I photograph.

The idea was to get surface Book, put it on my tripod, USB tether connect my DSLR to the surface and take pictures. Check them on the go on the set and move on - the book would have been perfect for it ! Except for the glossy screen why the on earth do u put glossy screen on professional devices?! We need matte darn it !

Get home connect keyboard and take advantage of extra power.

But I cant do it now because there is not even 1 USB on the book !!! Whyyyyyyyy Microsoft whyyyyyyyyyyyyy did u not put 1 damn USB on surface screennn...

Ehhh would be such an amazing device. Now I have to go with surface pro 4 :((( Or might as well go for cheapest surface 3/2 and save a buck :- /

Regards

Dariusz

astondg

Jan 7, 2013
Visit site
To do what you're describing the Surface Pro 4 sounds perfectly capable.

From Panos Panay's presentation it seemed that the reason there's no USB on the screen is because they wanted to make it thinner, he made a big deal about that being the limiting factor for the SP4's thickness.

Could a work around be using a wireless SD card in your DSLR, like the Eye-Fi, so you wouldn't need a physical USB connection?

ArtificiallyYours

Jul 12, 2015
Visit site
It's book-first, which means it more or less caters to people who treat the Tablet-Mode as secondary. But they didn't downplay the tablet mode capabilities at all and its a sexy beast of a McLaren. I myself would prefer to use its physical keyboard.

Cleavitt76

Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
To answer your other question, matte screens and modern capacitive touch screens don't really go together. It's not that they don't know, it's just has more cons than pros with current technology.

grahamf

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
To answer your other question, matte screens and modern capacitive touch screens don't really go together. It's not that they don't know, it's just has more cons than pros with current technology.
Long story short, a matte touchscreen will eventually become shiny in patches from all the fingerprint oil. Take a look at an old laptop's keyboard or trackpad.

Dariusz1989

Oct 6, 2015
Visit site
Hey

Yeah its just a big sad thing that the Book dont have the USB on screen or at least clip on add on from bottom that I could add one.

Cintiq edition tablets are Matte + Touchscreen... I know its a tradeoff but humh tricky! I just know that as an artist glossy screen is a bit of an pain...

Great deal

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
Reverse the screen and problem solved, you will even have an SD card slot. This device is geared to those who want laptop first tablet second, if you want the other way then the SP4 is the way to go. To have a USB port on the screen side would mean extra thickness, which would mean more hardware and weight in the screen size. As a tablet (or pc) its the thinnest and lightest pc in the world, something they can shout about. I guess USB itself will shrink in due course to accommodate your request.

Dariusz1989

Oct 6, 2015
Visit site
Reverse the screen and problem solved, you will even have an SD card slot. This device is geared to those who want laptop first tablet second, if you want the other way then the SP4 is the way to go. To have a USB port on the screen side would mean extra thickness, which would mean more hardware and weight in the screen size. As a tablet (or pc) its the thinnest and lightest pc in the world, something they can shout about. I guess USB itself will shrink in due course to accommodate your request.

Its too big to pack with heavy packed backpack filled with lenses and dsrl's.

I'm fairy sure that putting USB at the bottom of the screen next to the hinges could be possible.. USB 3 are not that big after all... Or at least mini USB or so...

PS you can see here that there is lots of space for USB...
http://images.techhive.com/images/article/2015/10/pcw-5280-100620120-large.png

Regards

Dariusz

colinkiama

Oct 13, 2013
Visit site
Its too big to pack with heavy packed backpack filled with lenses and dsrl's.

I'm fairy sure that putting USB at the bottom of the screen next to the hinges could be possible.. USB 3 are not that big after all... Or at least mini USB or so...

PS you can see here that there is lots of space for USB...
http://images.techhive.com/images/article/2015/10/pcw-5280-100620120-large.png

Regards

Dariusz

Surface pro 4 is actually your best option. You see, if the surface book had a usb port on the screen, the sides of the screen would have to be thicker so that there is enough space for the port.

WillysJeepMan

Aug 7, 2008
Visit site
Surface pro 4 is actually your best option. You see, if the surface book had a usb port on the screen, the sides of the screen would have to be thicker so that there is enough space for the port.
Exactly. This isn't rocket-science. For those who want a tablet that can operate as a notebook = Surface Pro 4. For those who want a notebook that can operate as a tablet = Surface Book.

Anyone who will be using the Surface Book primarily as a tablet is going to be disappointed with the Book's 3 hour battery life in tablet mode.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
Exactly. This isn't rocket-science. For those who want a tablet that can operate as a notebook = Surface Pro 4. For those who want a notebook that can operate as a tablet = Surface Book.

Anyone who will be using the Surface Book primarily as a tablet is going to be disappointed with the Book's 3 hour battery life in tablet mode.

It seems like it would make a great, light laptop.

WillysJeepMan

Aug 7, 2008
Visit site
It seems like it would make a great, light laptop.
Exactly.

My Surface 2 makes a fine tablet that can operate as a netbook. My Acer Aspire Switch 11 is the same as the Surface Book in that it has a full notebook keyboard and can detach to be used as a tablet. I don't use the Switch 11 primarily as a tablet but as a notebook... a very capable one a that.

bsnguy

Jun 12, 2016
Visit site
All of this "laptop first, tablet second" if baloney. No USB port on the screen (or no way to buy a simple adapter to add one to the docking port) makes this tablet mode useless for anyone who wants to use it to connect to a device, even occasionally. Needing to carry the entire device with me just to download photos is baloney. How about charging my phone at the pool? Would be great, but no, I need to carry the entire device with me.

I use my "tablet" 90% of the time, but the other 10% I still need a USB port half of that time. So now I'm stuck with not being able to use the neat feature I paid for (had I wanted a nice laptop, I could have had one for half the price of my SB!).

Microsoft, get with it and get us an adapter to plug into the docking port. How hard is that? Come on... (oh yes, I forgot, you are supposedly working hard to fix all of the sleep/power issues which is also baloney... get with it, folks!)

real0395

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
All of this "laptop first, tablet second" if baloney. No USB port on the screen (or no way to buy a simple adapter to add one to the docking port) makes this tablet mode useless for anyone who wants to use it to connect to a device, even occasionally. Needing to carry the entire device with me just to download photos is baloney. How about charging my phone at the pool? Would be great, but no, I need to carry the entire device with me.

I use my "tablet" 90% of the time, but the other 10% I still need a USB port half of that time. So now I'm stuck with not being able to use the neat feature I paid for (had I wanted a nice laptop, I could have had one for half the price of my SB!).

Microsoft, get with it and get us an adapter to plug into the docking port. How hard is that? Come on... (oh yes, I forgot, you are supposedly working hard to fix all of the sleep/power issues which is also baloney... get with it, folks!)

I'm confused...so if you use a device as a tablet 90% of the time, why not get the surface pro 4? If you need to frequently use a USB port and you would rather have a lighter device then, again, why not get the surface pro 4?

the saying of "laptop first, tablet second" makes total sense as the device is currently designed. MOST of the time people will be using it connected to the keyboard as a "laptop" and SOMETIMES they will take it off, so it makes sense for the keyboard to have most of the ports (other than the headphone jack). I mean sure it would be a nice bonus to have an extra ports on the tablet for when it's sometimes off, but that's not a requirement to make this a good device.

orlbuckeye

Mar 19, 2015
Visit site
They don't put it on because the same reason everyone is saying. No one would buy a SB to use mostly as a tablet with maybe 2 to 3 hours of battery life.

demichve

Jun 17, 2016
Visit site
Probably it will be available as adapter in the future.
You already can connect the dock with USB ports to the tablet using Surface connector. An adapter USB2SurfaceConnect should be sufficient.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss