Why on earth is there no USB on screen !?

savagelizards

Feb 7, 2014
Visit site
All of this "laptop first, tablet second" if baloney. No USB port on the screen (or no way to buy a simple adapter to add one to the docking port) makes this tablet mode useless for anyone who wants to use it to connect to a device, even occasionally. Needing to carry the entire device with me just to download photos is baloney. How about charging my phone at the pool? Would be great, but no, I need to carry the entire device with me.

I use my "tablet" 90% of the time, but the other 10% I still need a USB port half of that time. So now I'm stuck with not being able to use the neat feature I paid for (had I wanted a nice laptop, I could have had one for half the price of my SB!).

Microsoft, get with it and get us an adapter to plug into the docking port. How hard is that? Come on... (oh yes, I forgot, you are supposedly working hard to fix all of the sleep/power issues which is also baloney... get with it, folks!)

So in short, the problem is that you already purchased the surface book, so now you want Microsoft to build an adapter to allow the surface book to act like a poor man's surface pro 4.

Said another way, you made a mistake and purchased the wrong tool. It's like you bought a wrench and you are complaining that it makes a lousy hammer (and why isn't there a hammer attachment for your wrench?). What you really need to do is buy a hammer.

In this case, that means sell the surface book and buy a surface pro 4 and you will have a tablet with twice the battery life and a Usb 3.0 port just like you are asking for and like everyone on this thread is telling you.

You will be way happier in the long run, even if it costs you a few bucks to undo your error.

zerospace-net

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
All of this "laptop first, tablet second" if baloney. No USB port on the screen (or no way to buy a simple adapter to add one to the docking port) makes this tablet mode useless for anyone who wants to use it to connect to a device, even occasionally. Needing to carry the entire device with me just to download photos is baloney. How about charging my phone at the pool? Would be great, but no, I need to carry the entire device with me.

I use my "tablet" 90% of the time, but the other 10% I still need a USB port half of that time. So now I'm stuck with not being able to use the neat feature I paid for (had I wanted a nice laptop, I could have had one for half the price of my SB!).

Microsoft, get with it and get us an adapter to plug into the docking port. How hard is that? Come on... (oh yes, I forgot, you are supposedly working hard to fix all of the sleep/power issues which is also baloney... get with it, folks!)

I agree with the folks who have also told you that based on what you've said, you should have gotten a Surface Pro 4 instead of the Surface Book. There are lots of other laptop-like detachable options, as well. The Dell XPS 12 and the HP Spectre x2 are both Surface-like options with more substantial style keyboards that mimic the look/feel of a laptop, but also give you the detachable tablet portability of the Surface Pro or Surface Book.

Whatever the reason, you chose the wrong device for your needs. The good news is that there ARE options that will probably work better for you. Time to go explore those and leave the Surface Book be what it was meant to be.

Dariusz1989

Oct 6, 2015
Visit site
The mining division is strong on this forum...

Bottom line is I went with dell venue pro 10+, 512gb size, 16gb ram, 2 core, USB on side. It does work amazingly. On top of that I bought keyboard + battery so I got extra 66% battery juice.

MS shouldve gone for USB on side of their screen if they wanted my ??. I am a professional. Who work with his tablet. I need to have USB because a lot of the time when I go to a meeting or anything I transfer data. device>flash>device works perfect. Every1 is happy as its always under lock down. No need internet exposure.

real0395

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
The mining division is strong on this forum...

Bottom line is I went with dell venue pro 10+, 512gb size, 16gb ram, 2 core, USB on side. It does work amazingly. On top of that I bought keyboard + battery so I got extra 66% battery juice.

MS shouldve gone for USB on side of their screen if they wanted my ??. I am a professional. Who work with his tablet. I need to have USB because a lot of the time when I go to a meeting or anything I transfer data. device>flash>device works perfect. Every1 is happy as its always under lock down. No need internet exposure.

That's great you found something to your liking! Didn't mean to sound mean or anything with my initial comment, I was actually just confused. The point was that there are products already out there that better match your professional needs. It's kind of like complaining that that a ham and cheese sandwich doesn't have peanut butter & jelly, when you can just buy a peanut butter & jelly sandwich in the first place (sorry if this metaphor is wierd haha).

Dariusz1989

Oct 6, 2015
Visit site
That's great you found something to your liking! Didn't mean to sound mean or anything with my initial comment, I was actually just confused. The point was that there are products already out there that better match your professional needs. It's kind of like complaining that that a ham and cheese sandwich doesn't have peanut butter & jelly, when you can just buy a peanut butter & jelly sandwich in the first place (sorry if this metaphor is wierd haha).

I think at the time of writing this topic Surface was the leading and only one available "good" class tablet... a lot has hanged since.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
graceevans