06-21-2016 09:32 PM
27 12
tools
  1. Dariusz1989's Avatar
    The second I saw presentation and Book edition I was like... 16 gb, 512gb ssd. preorder- now.

    Then I looked at screen and there is no USB driver on screen.

    Why is there no usb drive on screen ? :(

    I am a photographer. That travel and take pictures on the go. From a while now I wanted a tablet like device that would be light, can run for 10h in idle/active mode and help me check shoots on the go as I photograph.

    The idea was to get surface Book, put it on my tripod, USB tether connect my DSLR to the surface and take pictures. Check them on the go on the set and move on - the book would have been perfect for it ! Except for the glossy screen why the on earth do u put glossy screen on professional devices?! We need matte darn it !

    Get home connect keyboard and take advantage of extra power.

    But I cant do it now because there is not even 1 USB on the book !!! Whyyyyyyyy Microsoft whyyyyyyyyyyyyy did u not put 1 damn USB on surface screennn...

    Ehhh would be such an amazing device. Now I have to go with surface pro 4 :((( Or might as well go for cheapest surface 3/2 and save a buck :- /

    Regards

    Dariusz
    10-06-2015 05:30 PM
  2. astondg's Avatar
    To do what you're describing the Surface Pro 4 sounds perfectly capable.

    From Panos Panay's presentation it seemed that the reason there's no USB on the screen is because they wanted to make it thinner, he made a big deal about that being the limiting factor for the SP4's thickness.

    Could a work around be using a wireless SD card in your DSLR, like the Eye-Fi, so you wouldn't need a physical USB connection?
    10-06-2015 07:49 PM
  3. ArtificiallyYours's Avatar
    It's book-first, which means it more or less caters to people who treat the Tablet-Mode as secondary. But they didn't downplay the tablet mode capabilities at all and its a sexy beast of a McLaren. I myself would prefer to use its physical keyboard.
    10-06-2015 09:15 PM
  4. Cleavitt76's Avatar
    To answer your other question, matte screens and modern capacitive touch screens don't really go together. It's not that they don't know, it's just has more cons than pros with current technology.
    10-06-2015 10:17 PM
  5. grahamf's Avatar
    To answer your other question, matte screens and modern capacitive touch screens don't really go together. It's not that they don't know, it's just has more cons than pros with current technology.
    Long story short, a matte touchscreen will eventually become shiny in patches from all the fingerprint oil. Take a look at an old laptop's keyboard or trackpad.
    zei20t and Bluerain like this.
    10-07-2015 12:01 AM
  6. Dariusz1989's Avatar
    Hey

    Yeah its just a big sad thing that the Book dont have the USB on screen or at least clip on add on from bottom that I could add one.

    Cintiq edition tablets are Matte + Touchscreen... I know its a tradeoff but humh tricky! I just know that as an artist glossy screen is a bit of an pain...
    10-07-2015 05:21 AM
  7. Great deal's Avatar
    Reverse the screen and problem solved, you will even have an SD card slot. This device is geared to those who want laptop first tablet second, if you want the other way then the SP4 is the way to go. To have a USB port on the screen side would mean extra thickness, which would mean more hardware and weight in the screen size. As a tablet (or pc) its the thinnest and lightest pc in the world, something they can shout about. I guess USB itself will shrink in due course to accommodate your request.
    10-07-2015 06:34 AM
  8. Dariusz1989's Avatar
    Reverse the screen and problem solved, you will even have an SD card slot. This device is geared to those who want laptop first tablet second, if you want the other way then the SP4 is the way to go. To have a USB port on the screen side would mean extra thickness, which would mean more hardware and weight in the screen size. As a tablet (or pc) its the thinnest and lightest pc in the world, something they can shout about. I guess USB itself will shrink in due course to accommodate your request.
    Its too big to pack with heavy packed backpack filled with lenses and dsrl's.

    I'm fairy sure that putting USB at the bottom of the screen next to the hinges could be possible.. USB 3 are not that big after all... Or at least mini USB or so...

    PS you can see here that there is lots of space for USB...
    http://images.techhive.com/images/ar...0120-large.png

    Regards

    Dariusz
    10-07-2015 06:42 AM
  9. colinkiama's Avatar
    Its too big to pack with heavy packed backpack filled with lenses and dsrl's.

    I'm fairy sure that putting USB at the bottom of the screen next to the hinges could be possible.. USB 3 are not that big after all... Or at least mini USB or so...

    PS you can see here that there is lots of space for USB...
    http://images.techhive.com/images/ar...0120-large.png

    Regards

    Dariusz

    Surface pro 4 is actually your best option. You see, if the surface book had a usb port on the screen, the sides of the screen would have to be thicker so that there is enough space for the port.
    libra89 and WillysJeepMan like this.
    10-07-2015 07:43 AM
  10. WillysJeepMan's Avatar
    Surface pro 4 is actually your best option. You see, if the surface book had a usb port on the screen, the sides of the screen would have to be thicker so that there is enough space for the port.
    Exactly. This isn't rocket-science. For those who want a tablet that can operate as a notebook = Surface Pro 4. For those who want a notebook that can operate as a tablet = Surface Book.

    Anyone who will be using the Surface Book primarily as a tablet is going to be disappointed with the Book's 3 hour battery life in tablet mode.
    10-07-2015 09:45 AM
  11. libra89's Avatar
    Exactly. This isn't rocket-science. For those who want a tablet that can operate as a notebook = Surface Pro 4. For those who want a notebook that can operate as a tablet = Surface Book.

    Anyone who will be using the Surface Book primarily as a tablet is going to be disappointed with the Book's 3 hour battery life in tablet mode.
    It seems like it would make a great, light laptop.
    colinkiama likes this.
    10-07-2015 09:51 AM
  12. WillysJeepMan's Avatar
    It seems like it would make a great, light laptop.
    Exactly.

    My Surface 2 makes a fine tablet that can operate as a netbook. My Acer Aspire Switch 11 is the same as the Surface Book in that it has a full notebook keyboard and can detach to be used as a tablet. I don't use the Switch 11 primarily as a tablet but as a notebook... a very capable one a that.
    libra89 likes this.
    10-07-2015 12:04 PM
  13. Dariusz1989's Avatar
    They should have put micro usb port on screen then !
    10-07-2015 01:02 PM
  14. StevoPhilo's Avatar
    They should have put micro usb port on screen then !
    The port might be smaller, but the interface is the same. Also if they could've done it they would have.
    10-07-2015 03:01 PM
  15. Rose640's Avatar
    They should have put micro usb port on screen then !
    Come on dude, get an SP4. It suits you more, that is, it's perfect for you. And after all, it'll cost you less.
    10-07-2015 03:12 PM
  16. bsnguy's Avatar
    All of this "laptop first, tablet second" if baloney. No USB port on the screen (or no way to buy a simple adapter to add one to the docking port) makes this tablet mode useless for anyone who wants to use it to connect to a device, even occasionally. Needing to carry the entire device with me just to download photos is baloney. How about charging my phone at the pool? Would be great, but no, I need to carry the entire device with me.

    I use my "tablet" 90% of the time, but the other 10% I still need a USB port half of that time. So now I'm stuck with not being able to use the neat feature I paid for (had I wanted a nice laptop, I could have had one for half the price of my SB!).

    Microsoft, get with it and get us an adapter to plug into the docking port. How hard is that? Come on... (oh yes, I forgot, you are supposedly working hard to fix all of the sleep/power issues which is also baloney... get with it, folks!)
    06-11-2016 10:34 PM
  17. real0395's Avatar
    All of this "laptop first, tablet second" if baloney. No USB port on the screen (or no way to buy a simple adapter to add one to the docking port) makes this tablet mode useless for anyone who wants to use it to connect to a device, even occasionally. Needing to carry the entire device with me just to download photos is baloney. How about charging my phone at the pool? Would be great, but no, I need to carry the entire device with me.

    I use my "tablet" 90% of the time, but the other 10% I still need a USB port half of that time. So now I'm stuck with not being able to use the neat feature I paid for (had I wanted a nice laptop, I could have had one for half the price of my SB!).

    Microsoft, get with it and get us an adapter to plug into the docking port. How hard is that? Come on... (oh yes, I forgot, you are supposedly working hard to fix all of the sleep/power issues which is also baloney... get with it, folks!)
    I'm confused...so if you use a device as a tablet 90% of the time, why not get the surface pro 4? If you need to frequently use a USB port and you would rather have a lighter device then, again, why not get the surface pro 4?

    the saying of "laptop first, tablet second" makes total sense as the device is currently designed. MOST of the time people will be using it connected to the keyboard as a "laptop" and SOMETIMES they will take it off, so it makes sense for the keyboard to have most of the ports (other than the headphone jack). I mean sure it would be a nice bonus to have an extra ports on the tablet for when it's sometimes off, but that's not a requirement to make this a good device.
    06-12-2016 09:59 PM
  18. excalibur1814's Avatar
    Buy a Surface Pro 4 along with a smaller external keyboard.

    Why is the sun yellow?
    Why is the sea blue?

    It's just the way it is.
    06-15-2016 04:24 AM
  19. orlbuckeye's Avatar
    They don't put it on because the same reason everyone is saying. No one would buy a SB to use mostly as a tablet with maybe 2 to 3 hours of battery life.
    Chintan Gohel likes this.
    06-16-2016 12:53 PM
  20. demichve's Avatar
    Probably it will be available as adapter in the future.
    You already can connect the dock with USB ports to the tablet using Surface connector. An adapter USB2SurfaceConnect should be sufficient.
    06-17-2016 06:34 AM
  21. savagelizards's Avatar
    All of this "laptop first, tablet second" if baloney. No USB port on the screen (or no way to buy a simple adapter to add one to the docking port) makes this tablet mode useless for anyone who wants to use it to connect to a device, even occasionally. Needing to carry the entire device with me just to download photos is baloney. How about charging my phone at the pool? Would be great, but no, I need to carry the entire device with me.

    I use my "tablet" 90% of the time, but the other 10% I still need a USB port half of that time. So now I'm stuck with not being able to use the neat feature I paid for (had I wanted a nice laptop, I could have had one for half the price of my SB!).

    Microsoft, get with it and get us an adapter to plug into the docking port. How hard is that? Come on... (oh yes, I forgot, you are supposedly working hard to fix all of the sleep/power issues which is also baloney... get with it, folks!)
    So in short, the problem is that you already purchased the surface book, so now you want Microsoft to build an adapter to allow the surface book to act like a poor man's surface pro 4.

    Said another way, you made a mistake and purchased the wrong tool. It's like you bought a wrench and you are complaining that it makes a lousy hammer (and why isn't there a hammer attachment for your wrench?). What you really need to do is buy a hammer.

    In this case, that means sell the surface book and buy a surface pro 4 and you will have a tablet with twice the battery life and a Usb 3.0 port just like you are asking for and like everyone on this thread is telling you.

    You will be way happier in the long run, even if it costs you a few bucks to undo your error.
    06-17-2016 09:01 AM
  22. zerospace-net's Avatar
    All of this "laptop first, tablet second" if baloney. No USB port on the screen (or no way to buy a simple adapter to add one to the docking port) makes this tablet mode useless for anyone who wants to use it to connect to a device, even occasionally. Needing to carry the entire device with me just to download photos is baloney. How about charging my phone at the pool? Would be great, but no, I need to carry the entire device with me.

    I use my "tablet" 90% of the time, but the other 10% I still need a USB port half of that time. So now I'm stuck with not being able to use the neat feature I paid for (had I wanted a nice laptop, I could have had one for half the price of my SB!).

    Microsoft, get with it and get us an adapter to plug into the docking port. How hard is that? Come on... (oh yes, I forgot, you are supposedly working hard to fix all of the sleep/power issues which is also baloney... get with it, folks!)
    I agree with the folks who have also told you that based on what you've said, you should have gotten a Surface Pro 4 instead of the Surface Book. There are lots of other laptop-like detachable options, as well. The Dell XPS 12 and the HP Spectre x2 are both Surface-like options with more substantial style keyboards that mimic the look/feel of a laptop, but also give you the detachable tablet portability of the Surface Pro or Surface Book.

    Whatever the reason, you chose the wrong device for your needs. The good news is that there ARE options that will probably work better for you. Time to go explore those and leave the Surface Book be what it was meant to be.
    xandros9 and Chintan Gohel like this.
    06-20-2016 01:06 PM
  23. Dariusz1989's Avatar
    The mining division is strong on this forum...

    Bottom line is I went with dell venue pro 10+, 512gb size, 16gb ram, 2 core, USB on side. It does work amazingly. On top of that I bought keyboard + battery so I got extra 66% battery juice.

    MS shouldve gone for USB on side of their screen if they wanted my . I am a professional. Who work with his tablet. I need to have USB because a lot of the time when I go to a meeting or anything I transfer data. device>flash>device works perfect. Every1 is happy as its always under lock down. No need internet exposure.
    06-20-2016 02:26 PM
  24. orlbuckeye's Avatar
    The Surface 4 Pro meets your needs more than the SB. If the SB2 clipboard has longer battery life it will have USB slot.
    06-21-2016 08:21 AM
  25. real0395's Avatar
    The mining division is strong on this forum...

    Bottom line is I went with dell venue pro 10+, 512gb size, 16gb ram, 2 core, USB on side. It does work amazingly. On top of that I bought keyboard + battery so I got extra 66% battery juice.

    MS shouldve gone for USB on side of their screen if they wanted my . I am a professional. Who work with his tablet. I need to have USB because a lot of the time when I go to a meeting or anything I transfer data. device>flash>device works perfect. Every1 is happy as its always under lock down. No need internet exposure.
    That's great you found something to your liking! Didn't mean to sound mean or anything with my initial comment, I was actually just confused. The point was that there are products already out there that better match your professional needs. It's kind of like complaining that that a ham and cheese sandwich doesn't have peanut butter & jelly, when you can just buy a peanut butter & jelly sandwich in the first place (sorry if this metaphor is wierd haha).
    xandros9 and zerospace-net like this.
    06-21-2016 03:26 PM
27 12

Similar Threads

  1. Hands on Lumia 950 XL videos
    By Citizen X in forum Windows Phones
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 10-07-2015, 03:12 PM
  2. Recording Audio on Lumia 950 and 950 XL
    By viperRBNY in forum Windows Phones
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 10-07-2015, 12:38 PM
  3. How do I get rid of operation timed out - happening on certain items?
    By Windows Central Question in forum Ask a Question
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 10-06-2015, 05:28 PM
  4. The Windows Phone game Apex is today's myAppFree Deal
    By WindowsCentral.com in forum Windows Central News Discussion & Contests
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 10-06-2015, 05:20 PM
  5. Hands-on with the Microsoft Band 2
    By WindowsCentral.com in forum Windows Central News Discussion & Contests
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 10-06-2015, 05:00 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD