The Story Behind the Surface Book's Crazy New Hinge | WIRED

Very nice article and interview with Ralf Groene the lead design person for the Surface line of devices.
    10-07-2015 06:05 PM
    I am still concerned about that huge gap caused by the hinge design. Wouldn't that allow all kinds of objects to get in there and cause damage if you threw it in a gym bag with coins, paper clips and ninja stars?
    10-07-2015 11:33 PM
    I am still concerned about that huge gap caused by the hinge design. Wouldn't that allow all kinds of objects to get in there and cause damage if you threw it in a gym bag with coins, paper clips and ninja stars?
    LOL - I'm not going to throw a $2700 computer into a gym bag with coins, paper clips and ninja stars!
    10-08-2015 07:46 AM
    Wait for the 2nd gen Surface Book. They will have refined that hinge to correct that.
    10-08-2015 08:45 AM
    Get a sleeve for it and then throw it in the gym bag. Just because you can throw a current MBA or Ultrabook in it doesn't mean this gorgeous device deserves the same treatment. Plus none of those devices are a true convertible with discrete GPU:-)
    libra89 likes this.
    10-08-2015 11:38 AM
    I think all this speculation is a bunch of horse ****. Anything that falls in the top hole will fall out the bottom hole also. Unless it's alive, it won't get in there and start "destroying" the device. Use your brains guys...
    CygnusOrion likes this.
    10-08-2015 03:45 PM
    I think all this speculation is a bunch of horse ****. Anything that falls in the top hole will fall out the bottom hole also. Unless it's alive, it won't get in there and start "destroying" the device. Use your brains guys...
    What if Alien gets in there?
    10-08-2015 05:36 PM
    I love the gap that the hinge creates. It distinguishes the Surface Book design even more from every other laptop out there. Plus the screen won't get the hideous keyboard imprint like Macbooks get.
    wardo5757, 920Walker and Tsang Fai like this.
    10-08-2015 10:31 PM
    I love the gap that the hinge creates. It distinguishes the Surface Book design even more from every other laptop out there. Plus the screen won't get the hideous keyboard imprint like Macbooks get.
    I guess this hinge gap is to notebooks as thigh gap is to women. I don't get the appeal of either one.
    10-09-2015 02:51 PM
    You don't?
    10-11-2015 01:56 AM
    The gap acts as a folder to hold some important A4-sized documents :P

At the first sight I thought the gap is so odd. But now I like how it looks. It's iconic. Everyone can recognize it, yes, it's Microsoft's Surface Book :P

Perhaps the 2nd gen will have a smaller gap.

I think I like the gap, though. It's really iconic.
    libra89 likes this.
    10-18-2015 11:49 AM