Nice article - The Story behind the Surface Book's New Hinge!

CygnusOrion

Oct 6, 2015
Visit site
I am still concerned about that huge gap caused by the hinge design. Wouldn't that allow all kinds of objects to get in there and cause damage if you threw it in a gym bag with coins, paper clips and ninja stars?

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
I am still concerned about that huge gap caused by the hinge design. Wouldn't that allow all kinds of objects to get in there and cause damage if you threw it in a gym bag with coins, paper clips and ninja stars?

LOL - I'm not going to throw a $2700 computer into a gym bag with coins, paper clips and ninja stars! :wink:

WillysJeepMan

Aug 7, 2008
Visit site
Wait for the 2nd gen Surface Book. They will have refined that hinge to correct that.

worldspy99

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site

Get a sleeve for it and then throw it in the gym bag. Just because you can throw a current MBA or Ultrabook in it doesn't mean this gorgeous device deserves the same treatment. Plus none of those devices are a true convertible with discrete GPU:)

wardo5757

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
I think all this speculation is a bunch of horse ****. Anything that falls in the top hole will fall out the bottom hole also. Unless it's alive, it won't get in there and start "destroying" the device. Use your brains guys...

wayn1ak

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
I love the gap that the hinge creates. It distinguishes the Surface Book design even more from every other laptop out there. Plus the screen won't get the hideous keyboard imprint like Macbooks get.

WillysJeepMan

Aug 7, 2008
Visit site
I love the gap that the hinge creates. It distinguishes the Surface Book design even more from every other laptop out there. Plus the screen won't get the hideous keyboard imprint like Macbooks get.
I guess this hinge gap is to notebooks as thigh gap is to women. I don't get the appeal of either one.

Tsang Fai

Aug 11, 2014
Visit site
The gap acts as a folder to hold some important A4-sized documents :p

At the first sight I thought the gap is so odd. But now I like how it looks. It's iconic. Everyone can recognize it, yes, it's Microsoft's Surface Book :p

Perhaps the 2nd gen will have a smaller gap.

I think I like the gap, though. It's really iconic.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chuffster