Windows Store Credit Card fraud issues

ccpopham

Oct 22, 2015
Visit site
This has been going on for almost 10 days now. I attempted to purchase an app from the windows store and my credit card rejected it as fraud. The person answering said the fraud problems had been elevated. This and pushing the deliveries out to 7-8 weeks, this is more like a startup and not a multi million dollar company that has been out for years. I am really starting to doubt Microsoft and wonder if these problems are not indicative of a much deeper problems.

This is all very disappointing!!!

Tumultus

Feb 17, 2012
Visit site
Well, it isn't Microsoft that raises the fraud flag but your bank / credit card company. You'll have to take this up to them! Have you ever considered calling your bank prior making a major purchase, so, that they would be aware of the incoming charge and don't reject the payment?

kittengirl

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site
It's happened to me in the past too, with my BofA visa when trying to run the charge for my Zune Pass. My thought is that to the bank's software, it looks like a large amount being charged for a game or app, and triggers fraud, becuase those are very high frequency areas where fraud occurs.

ccpopham

Oct 22, 2015
Visit site
Tumultus not 3 different banks. Plus the rep told me they are well aware of the problem after numerous complaints and this issue is receiving the highest priority. The rep said they are not sure why this is happening. The first one I used was my credit union and they said that Microsoft had been flagged in some system that most banks check as having a large amount of fraud and until they were taken off of that list, they would not process any transactions from MS. So, I tried USAA and again it tripped and then I tried another one and it would not process through. This is a MS problem and not a bank problem.

Tumultus

Feb 17, 2012
Visit site
Tumultus not 3 different banks. Plus the rep told me they are well aware of the problem after numerous complaints and this issue is receiving the highest priority. The rep said they are not sure why this is happening. The first one I used was my credit union and they said that Microsoft had been flagged in some system that most banks check as having a large amount of fraud and until they were taken off of that list, they would not process any transactions from MS. So, I tried USAA and again it tripped and then I tried another one and it would not process through. This is a MS problem and not a bank problem.
I may meet you half way. It is also still a bank problem if your bank refuses the charge / payment after you call them and make them aware of the charge or authorize the charge. That's why they have customer care representatives. Otherwise, let's all just create white lists and black lists and have a wonderful life ... not! :(

eastbayrae

Jun 12, 2011
Visit site
Well, it isn't Microsoft that raises the fraud flag but your bank / credit card company. You'll have to take this up to them! Have you ever considered calling your bank prior making a major purchase, so, that they would be aware of the incoming charge and don't reject the payment?

There is something with MS, not the bank. The day they rejected my Surface Book order I spent $4800 on the same card without issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tumultus

Feb 17, 2012
Visit site
There is something with MS, not the bank. The day they rejected my Surface Book order I spent $4800 on the same card without issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Once more: The banks are using blacklists - think of it like spam lists from your ISP. Once your email / IP is on there, you can't just contact the blacklisting company and have yourself removed! After all, you're the one being black listed, so, nobody will listen. Granted, Microsoft has more power and weight, so, they will sort it out eventually but it isn't their fault if banks choose to work with black lists and then again choose to ignore the customer when he tells them prior to his purchase that Microsoft is going to charge $XXX amount on an order he is going to place.

For all we know, it could be one guy working in that black list company who hates MS like hell and that is why MS ended up on there in the first place. :)

kk4df

Oct 18, 2015
Visit site
I called my bank before MS attempted the charge, and it still got rejected as fraudulent. Bank said the charge would go through. Woke up the next morning to find my CC locked due to the MS attempted charge. So calling ahead to my bank was NOT successful. YMMV

ccpopham

Oct 22, 2015
Visit site
Just bought an app from the windows store and it went through fine!!! So hopefully the issues have been cleared up and MS is off of the blacklist!!!

Tumultus

Feb 17, 2012
Visit site
I called my bank before MS attempted the charge, and it still got rejected as fraudulent. Bank said the charge would go through. Woke up the next morning to find my CC locked due to the MS attempted charge. So calling ahead to my bank was NOT successful. YMMV
But that is something you have to discuss with your bank, isn't it? They are the ones that locked your card and they are the ones that should tell you why they refused the payment.

Yonic Boom

Jan 29, 2014
Visit site
My order was cancelled too.

They need to change their system. Rather than cancelling orders they should put them in a hold that requires customer service intervention.

I'm on with them now, but if they don't get this resolved I'm not sure I'll bother re-ordering.

edit: This is pretty unacceptable.
wow.png

ccpopham

Oct 22, 2015
Visit site
My order was cancelled by Microsoft this morning. When I called them and spoke to a supervisor, I was told that Microsoft had attempted a second time to run my credit card and it was again declined by my bank. I called my bank USAA and they told "No, Microsoft only attempted to run it through one time back in mid October" So why Microsoft lying to me on something that is easily verifiable? I think Microsoft really doesn't want me as a customer and doesn't want my business. This is crazy.

Posted via the Windows Central App for Android

DrunkasaurusRex

Sep 11, 2015
Visit site
My order was cancelled by Microsoft this morning. When I called them and spoke to a supervisor, I was told that Microsoft had attempted a second time to run my credit card and it was again declined by my bank. I called my bank USAA and they told "No, Microsoft only attempted to run it through one time back in mid October" So why Microsoft lying to me on something that is easily verifiable? I think Microsoft really doesn't want me as a customer and doesn't want my business. This is crazy.

Posted via the Windows Central App for Android
Their system only authorizes the card once. Only way to reauthorize is to use the link in the email they send you to update payment information. As we all know, that system doesn't work, it just returns error messages.
I would call MS support and ask if you can get your complaints escalated to the higher level of support. My experience with them has been beyond incredible, a completely different experience from regular support. Basically these people have superpowers. First they authorized a 10% discount and free expedited shipping (okay, cool, whatever). I wasn't sure I wanted to place the order at that minute on the phone so they told me I could place it online and they'll have the discount tied to my account. Sure enough, when I logged into the MS store the next day all the Surface Books showed 10% discounts but the first awesome surprise was that the "ships by" date changed from the standard December 4th to November 20th (It's not October 26th but I'll take what I can get). When I got to checkout all three shipping options were free, it just updated the "discount" part of my invoice with the price of the shipping. Most awesome was when I submitted the order it charged my card immediately.

lonewolfe2015

Aug 14, 2012
Visit site
This is why I love having Discover.
I was at the store buying my Book when the transaction was declined. I received a text and an e-mail from them, responded 'Y' to the text, 30 seconds later I swiped again and was walking home with my new Book.
It's not Microsoft's fault, it's the bank authorizing the transaction's fault for not providing an easier means of spending money AND protecting you from fraud.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velocityxs