Surface Book Freezing After Firmware Update

LCARS

Jun 6, 2011
Visit site
So, my shiny new Surface Book (i7, 8GB RAM, 256GB) arrived today! Everything was going really well until I installed a firmware update via Windows Update. Now, the device freezes hard a random amount of time after boot up (Usually 3-5ish minutes). This happens both with the clipboard docked or attached to the keyboard. The caps lock key light will not illuminate but the FN key still works. Also, I am still able to detach the screen.

I would definitely recommend disabling automatic updates until they get these early issues resolved.

Has anyone else experienced similar issues?

Y2HBK

May 16, 2013
Visit site
I haven't had this happen but I have had some other odd issues.

1. Edge lags so bad on this site that every 5 seconds or so I will miss a good 5 letters or so.
2. I had my whole screen go black once while on this site. I was able to swipe to another app and close edge.
3. Ive noticed when a video/ad starts playing on screen somewhere the color tones of the whole screen seem to change on their own. This isn't auto brightness as I have it turned off.

aalupatti

Oct 12, 2015
Visit site
I had issues with device hangs. had to press the powerbutton for a reboot.
So dissappointed. Hope we get a fix soon.
I have i7 with 16gb ram.

LCARS

Jun 6, 2011
Visit site
I've also noticed the color tones changing randomly. I too turned off auto brightness. Good to know I wasn't crazy!

michail71

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
I noticed in using the pen on the demo unit that it had lag and drawn lines would have random breaks. I know my Surface 3 can do better.

Firmware and drivers were terrible for the Surface 3 when windows 10 came out. I wonder if the Book is suffering from the same issues?

Much like the Surface 3 and Surface Pro 3 MS needs to really crack down on the drivers. Intel needs to face a Steve Jobs kind of wrath if they can't nail these drivers.

As for this web site, no computing power on this Earth can deal with the ads.

kittengirl

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site
I haven't installed the firmware update yet, since I just stayed at home long enough this morning to get the package and do the initial setup. I've had it here at work charging since that time. I did start it up a couple of times though, and tried to detach the clipboard, and it won't work. When I push the button, after a second it turns green for a split second and then turns red. It stays red until I press it again and hold for a few seconds. It never goes into a steady green light to allow me to detatch. Anyone else have this problem? Is this possibly a firmware issue too?

FYI - I'm well aware of how it should behave as I have tried demo models at three different stores. I'm not going to attempt any updates until I get home, since our firewall here at work will probably block the download anyway - not worth even trying. Thanks

Robert Vignone

Oct 26, 2015
Visit site
Same here, didn't do any updates actually. Froze when filling out reg info upon startup and also when downloading creative cloud. I7/16gb/500ssd/nvidia gpu.....

Devhux

Feb 4, 2008
Visit site
I haven't gotten a chance to really play with my Surface Book yet, but I was wondering just how loud it is when you press the detach button. Mine seems to make a fairly loud click when it releases (and the light turns green).

Sure hoping it's normal, and I'm just not used to the sound.

Posted via the Windows Central App for Android

kittengirl

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site
I seem to recall hearing somethign when I tried it out in the stores, even with all the background noise that's present in a mall store.

njdev1k

Jun 10, 2013
Visit site
Shutdown the surface book for a little bit. When I turned it on again it showed as detached though it was still connected to the keyboard. Wouldn't let me detach it either cause it thought it was already. PITA to get out of that. Uninstalled a few drivers from device manager, re-installed firmware and reboot eventually fixed it. Reboot on its own had no effect. Hope Microsoft releases new firmware or something quickly. Still love the device, but can't have it doing weird stuff like that too long.

michail71

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
Shutdown the surface book for a little bit. When I turned it on again it showed as detached though it was still connected to the keyboard. Wouldn't let me detach it either cause it thought it was already. PITA to get out of that. Uninstalled a few drivers from device manager, re-installed firmware and reboot eventually fixed it. Reboot on its own had no effect. Hope Microsoft releases new firmware or something quickly. Still love the device, but can't have it doing weird stuff like that too long.
The Surface and Surface Pros will do that too but at least it doesn't stop you from attaching and detaching.

Devhux

Feb 4, 2008
Visit site
With regards to the freezing, I haven't had it happen on mine. I just have the Intel graphics though (no dGPU) so perhaps it's the combination that's causing the issue.

Posted via the Windows Central App for Android

ParoleGA

Jul 23, 2013
Visit site
The only issues I've had so far was an unresponsive keyboard/touchpad a few times, before the firmware update. I had to put it to sleep, then back on to get the keyboard working again. Been pretty smooth since I updated, but not a ton of time playing, yet. Glad I have 30 days to find bugs.

Edit: Scratch that, also having an issue with the rear camera not snapping a photo. Displays the scene with a small white box flashing in the center, and won't capture an image. Front facing camera works normally.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vascro