Surface Book Freezing After Firmware Update

kittengirl

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site
Did my firmware update and haven't experienced any problems yet. Boy, the resolution on this thing is amazing! I'm installing PhotoShop right now, and then Office next. Still have some embroidery digitizing programs to install, but not much else other than some favorite apps.

StealthCrawler

Aug 11, 2011
Visit site
So I got the surface book i5/256GB/dGPU variant from the Fifth Ave store this afternoon. Most reviewers were spot on in their decision to hold off final judgement as their units were crashing. MS got back to them saying that customers will not get those faulty units.

I did get a faulty unit. It's only been a few hours but I've experienced the following issues..

1. The touchpad scrolling was terrible. I thought the reviewers were being picky...but after what I experienced, I think they were underplaying how bad it was. Anyways, I got the firmware update as had been promised and that did improve the scrolling a LOT. It's still an "almost" MacBook like experience but it's lagging behind.

2. The crashes. I've had the OS crash on me about 5 times in the past 4 hours.

3. Display driver crashes. Every so often, the browser will freeze for a few seconds. Then a notification pops up saying the device driver crashed and needs to restart.

3. The screen keeps flickering. It also changes color randomly.

4. Hanging browser when you submit a URL or search term in the address bar. This has happened with all 3 major browsers. It just sits there for a few seconds before crapping out. Refresh fixes it. But it happens with alarming regularity.

5. Windows 10 way too unpredictable on this machine. I have windows 10 running on another computer and it runs just fine. But on this machine, it's just weird. Jumpy cursors...random refreshing of web pages....randomly minimizing windows...

Issues that were reported by didn't bother me ....

1. The wobble. It's there but you hardly notice it. I don't think that's a problem.

2. You can open the laptop with one hand. Just takes a few tries and then you'll be fine.

I'm taking this particular unit back. I'm not spending $2k for a laptop that crashes on day 1 with no third party software installed. I think their initial units are faulty. Panos even replied to J Stern suggesting that "this" problem has been fixed at the factory now. I'm going to wait now until they've ironed out these issues. I'd suggest to anyone planning on buying one right away to wait.

ALpHa.Q.RoUgH

Jan 21, 2012
Visit site
So for those who got it today, I have my pre-order for the i5 256gb dGPU. Should I wait and not pick up my pre-order or go ahead and get it?

How long before Microsoft actually gets this fixed?

Yonic Boom

Jan 29, 2014
Visit site
I am not having any crashing problems on the i7/256/dGPU model after the firmware update. I'm up and running with a development environment including virtual box, vagrant, homestead. Have Creative Cloud going. All seems to be well.

Weird.

njdev1k

Jun 10, 2013
Visit site
Hardware won't change most likely. Just drivers and firmware. I got mine today and overall it has been great. A few hiccups here and there, but still happy with it. I expect some updates to come to address the issues that have been seen.

mariusmuntean

Banned
Mar 12, 2013
Visit site
:)))) sorry guys, it really feels bad as you must have spent a lot of money on those. But your experience now confirms the lack of quality in MS products. As fanboys as some here are, please how on earth you go and spend almost 2000$ on this only to have it freeze and all sort of problems users have posted here???? HOW??? I have my macbook pro since 2010 and have never had any issues with it, never! As bad as you all think Apple is, and greedy and all sort of things, their products on the most part last! of course there are issues also, as in every product but please. This thread is a pure reason NOT to buy this surface book!

mariusmuntean

Banned
Mar 12, 2013
Visit site
So I got the surface book i5/256GB/dGPU variant from the Fifth Ave store this afternoon. Most reviewers were spot on in their decision to hold off final judgement as their units were crashing. MS got back to them saying that customers will not get those faulty units.

I did get a faulty unit. It's only been a few hours but I've experienced the following issues..

1. The touchpad scrolling was terrible. I thought the reviewers were being picky...but after what I experienced, I think they were underplaying how bad it was. Anyways, I got the firmware update as had been promised and that did improve the scrolling a LOT. It's still an "almost" MacBook like experience but it's lagging behind.

2. The crashes. I've had the OS crash on me about 5 times in the past 4 hours.

3. Display driver crashes. Every so often, the browser will freeze for a few seconds. Then a notification pops up saying the device driver crashed and needs to restart.

3. The screen keeps flickering. It also changes color randomly.

4. Hanging browser when you submit a URL or search term in the address bar. This has happened with all 3 major browsers. It just sits there for a few seconds before crapping out. Refresh fixes it. But it happens with alarming regularity.

5. Windows 10 way too unpredictable on this machine. I have windows 10 running on another computer and it runs just fine. But on this machine, it's just weird. Jumpy cursors...random refreshing of web pages....randomly minimizing windows...

Issues that were reported by didn't bother me ....

1. The wobble. It's there but you hardly notice it. I don't think that's a problem.

2. You can open the laptop with one hand. Just takes a few tries and then you'll be fine.

I'm taking this particular unit back. I'm not spending $2k for a laptop that crashes on day 1 with no third party software installed. I think their initial units are faulty. Panos even replied to J Stern suggesting that "this" problem has been fixed at the factory now. I'm going to wait now until they've ironed out these issues. I'd suggest to anyone planning on buying one right away to wait.

I really feel sorry for you. Spending that much on a device will for sure give you headaches and drive you mad with so many issues. How can MS sell this with such severe issues? it seems that they lack the decent respect for customers.

Dratwister

Jan 24, 2013
Visit site
:)))) sorry guys, it really feels bad as you must have spent a lot of money on those. But your experience now confirms the lack of quality in MS products. As fanboys as some here are, please how on earth you go and spend almost 2000$ on this only to have it freeze and all sort of problems users have posted here???? HOW??? I have my macbook pro since 2010 and have never had any issues with it, never! As bad as you all think Apple is, and greedy and all sort of things, their products on the most part last! of course there are issues also, as in every product but please. This thread is a pure reason NOT to buy this surface book!

Tell me more about it please :D Like how many vs how many?
But please, you really need to take sometime to wander around Apple product forums and hear their cries.

mariusmuntean

Banned
Mar 12, 2013
Visit site
Tell me more about it please :D Like how many vs how many?
But please, you really need to take sometime to wander around Apple product forums and hear their cries.

I know very well their cries. But from day one? so many issues? Sorry but this is outrageous, what MS did with these devices. LACK OF QC! and no respect for customers...as for the apps, don't start again...MS's Windows App Store has nothing more than outdated apps most of them, or duplicates of duplicates of duplicates.

JunoVkool

Oct 20, 2015
Visit site
You're talking sh!t like Apple's products never have issues on the first days... you should go and see them crying on their websites and forums. Besides, you're buying a laptop not a phone so for god's shake just stop complaining about the apps... There's billion Windows app out there.

P.S: You guys should try a reset, then update from the settings and then the store. It normally works!

Dratwister

Jan 24, 2013
Visit site
I know very well their cries. But from day one? so many issues? Sorry but this is outrageous, what MS did with these devices. LACK OF QC! and no respect for customers...as for the apps, don't start again...MS's Windows App Store has nothing more than outdated apps most of them, or duplicates of duplicates of duplicates.

So you meant from day one, not a single complain was made toward Apple devices? Not even single one? Oh please, tell me more about what story with what reception.
As for the apps? I have to admit though, W10 doesn't have many apps. But it has billion of softwares, unless we didn't talk about a laptop here, didn't we?

mariusmuntean

Banned
Mar 12, 2013
Visit site
I have not said that macbooks do not have problems, even from day one, but few of them and I have not seen SO MANY as here and so severe from the start. Keep praising MS and throw your money to them to receive a broken toy. As for the apps, I was talking about apps from the Store, or aren't we here talking and waiting for more apps to come to the WINDOWS STORE ALSO??? NOT ONLY the windows phone? as I remember Windows Store was not created with the start of Windows 10, it exists since Windows 8 with a mediocre collection of apps..

ParoleGA

Jul 23, 2013
Visit site
I have not said that macbooks do not have problems, even from day one, but few of them and I have not seen SO MANY as here and so severe from the start. Keep praising MS and throw your money to them to receive a broken toy. As for the apps, I was talking about apps from the Store, or aren't we here talking and waiting for more apps to come to the WINDOWS STORE ALSO??? NOT ONLY the windows phone? as I remember Windows Store was not created with the start of Windows 10, it exists since Windows 8 with a mediocre collection of apps..

You are clearly trolling, or really dumb. If you aren't seeing MacBook problems, you aren't looking for them. I am no appologist for these issues, and am OS agnostic. I have a 15" rMBP, have had (and have) many iPhones and iPads. I am not an Apple or MS hater. The fact is, early adopters often find issues. It is the nature of being an early adopter. As your posts are pretty clear, you came here looking for Surface Book problems to troll. By the way, your English is terrible. You should troll a site that's in your own language.

MacBook Pro with Retina display: Problems in every dimension | 9to5Mac
MacBook Pro Problems: Apple acknowledges keyboard and trackpad issues ? fix inbound
https://discussions.apple.com/thread/4735947?start=0&tstart=0

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
COME ON WIN ANDROID (ADI)