What does the base unit do when the clipboard is undoecked?

uffestar

Jul 28, 2014
Visit site
I'm curious to know if the clipboard in any way is wirelessly connected with the base unit when undocked? For example, when presenting in Powerpoint and projecting on the screen, can I detach the clipboard and walk around the room with the clipboard and ink, while the base unit continues to project the presentation? That would be awesome...

Tumultus

Feb 17, 2012
Visit site
Doubtful! Would be a neat little feature but they would have shown this if it were possible. And doesn't the CPU sit in the screen part? Still, don't let this stop you because there are plenty wireless presentation remotes and mice available on the market.

ParoleGA

Jul 23, 2013
Visit site
The keyboard section doesn't do anything while not connected. It has no brain (CPU). The keyboard/touchpad seem to appear as a USB device, over the USB lanes of the Surface Connector, while the dGPU uses PCIe lanes of the Surface Connector.

ChristopherBClark

Sep 27, 2013
Visit site
You can absolutely do this. The base has no CPU in it - only keyboard, ports, GPU and batteries. You don't need the dock to present at all.

Edit: I assume now you must be relying on USB ports in the base to project? Your solution is just use a Wireless Display Adapter I think.

Drewidian

Oct 3, 2009
Visit site
No. What they should put in the next dock is...
1) a second SSD drive option that is possibly user upgradeable
2) a better dGPU or possibly a range of optional dGPUs.
3) 2 - USB-C 3.1 ports possibly one on the tablet and one on the base.
4) built in Xbox Wireless Controller adapter
5) unlocked universal LTE Bands into the tablet or kb dock due to power consumption issues.

Those are my major griping points right now. If these were included in this year's model, it would be just about perfect.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss