Surface Dock Not Charging My Surface Book

kwickone

Dec 28, 2010
Visit site
Wondering if any other early adopters are seeing this. I have a new i5 Surface Book. Charges fine with the normal Power adapter. I also got the new Surface Dock. The Surface Dock will NOT charge my Surface Book. It has power for sure, and the light on the part that plugs into the Book is lit.

I have seen some tweets to at SurfaceSupport and it looks like others might be experiencing this as well.

Anyone else seeing this?

Thanks.

kdanielson

Oct 27, 2015
Visit site
I am experiencing much the same problem, although my dock will charge for a while, then then stop, and then I need to unplug-replug to get it to start charging again. Hopefully a problem with the dock as I would hate to have to return the machine after all the time I have spent setting it up.

zombie0

Oct 26, 2013
Visit site
Same problem here, sporadically. Disconnecting and reconnecting causes the charging to resume. Hopefully a software issue.

Hotty Toddy1

Nov 11, 2015
Visit site
I'm having the same problem, but my docking station is not charging the Surface Book at all even though the light is illuminated. Did you ever get a resolution? I'm trying to figure out who to call about it.

zombie0

Oct 26, 2013
Visit site
The only resolution I've had is a work-around: disconnect and reconnect the dock. Yes, that means all of my USB devices and external screens get reset. Yes, it's annoying as heck. But it does tend to work.

Is that not working for you? If not, that's even worse than I've seen.

zombie0

Oct 26, 2013
Visit site
The only resolution I've had is a work-around: disconnect and reconnect the dock. Yes, that means all of my USB devices and external screens get reset. Yes, it's annoying as heck. But it does tend to work.

Is that not working for you? If not, that's even worse than I've seen.

mcheiron

Apr 9, 2012
Visit site
I had a similar issue that my SB would not charge in the dock. I chatted with MS support and they had me uninstall the battery drivers, then do the hard reset (holder power up and power button for specific time, don't remember how long, but it was a couple seconds longer than the second Surface boot screen). That reinstalled the missing drivers and all is fine now.

julver

Nov 20, 2015
Visit site
I had a similar problem and with my surface book.
This is my solution;
Open the device Manager
Go to the batteries and open it.
Uninstall both Microsoft Surface ACPI-Compliant Contro Method Battery Drivers
Hold the on-off button and the high volume buttons simultaneously for 30 seconds.
Restart your computer and your docking should be charging

DougID

Dec 1, 2015
Visit site
My Surface Dock has also stopped charging my Surface Book. It was working until a few days ago. When plugged in, the other devices (LAN, USB, Sound) all work so the dock is receiving power and making a proper connection to the Surface Book.

I've tried the suggestion to remove battery drivers and do a hard reset of computer. That didn't work for me. Completely removing, deleting and reinstalling drivers did not work also.

My original power supply charges computer correctly, so I'm not sure it's an issue with the battery drivers.

Anyone else determine a permanent fix?

Thanks

jomargon

Nov 23, 2012
Visit site
I experienced the same issue just now and doing these fixed it:
1. Detach the SB screen from the keyboard.
2. Plug the dock directly to the detached screen. The screen should now charge.
3. Attach the screen to the keyboard. Plug the dock to the keyboard.

Last edited:

rchmboston

Jan 15, 2016
Visit site
Yes, I can confirm that pulling out the Surface Dock and plugging back in then shows the batteries charging. Thanks for the suggestion.

Jeff Hollon

Jan 29, 2016
Visit site
i was having the same problem with my dock. also had issues with external displays dropping out constantly. I chatted with support and they send me out a new Dock without wanting mine back. This not only fixed the charging problem, but my external displays have been rock solid since tuesday when i got he replacement, not ONE SINGLE DROP. The original unit started with a serial number 0 and the new one starts with a 1 and seems like it is a much newer made unit. either way, my setup is complete now.

From MS sending me a unit and not making me return the old one, it seems like they know there is a problem with the first batch(s) of docks and apparently they changed something in the building process that means they can't just fix the old ones. if you chat with them and tell them your video drops out or you have problems with USB and power charging through the dock, they will send you a new one. The new ones seems to be correct.

Carmine Bucalo

Feb 21, 2016
Visit site
That worked for me too but I still had the problem return. I did a usb recovery using the downloaded recovery image. That fixed the problem totally. I had joined the insider preview fast ring on day one, and I think that may have caused my problem. I also had shutdown-restart issues and really wanted that fixed too. I did the 2-17-2016 firmware update but that didn't fix things totally. Now looks like I'm free and clear.

Anyone have this problem and using Insider Preview? Anyone try a recovery-reset?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
COME ON WIN ANDROID (ADI)