what i do and do not like wh surface book

pdch

Sep 21, 2012
Visit site
So I picked up my 512gb i7 sfb today and want to give you guys my initial impressions. Just to set the table, i was REALLY looking forward to this thing - just so you know I am not some Apple ****** on here set up to criticize the device but instead an opinion from the standpoint of someone looking for what MS stated, "the ultimate laptop". My background is thus: I was an Aerospace Engineering major at UT in Austin in the 90s until the bottom fell out of the industry. I moved to Geophysics (after I lost my internship to JPL when they cut the entire program). This was the early 90s, and I was one of the first to work through NetWare networks all the way to modern networks. I actually helped pioneer the modern courtroom by introducing the use of electronic media and networks into court proceedings.

Oh, and I am doing this while on battery on the tablet!😁. So, here goes from the time I unpacked this thing:

The first thing I noticed is that this thing is packed VERY nicely. You don't have to worry about it being too beat up during shipping. Obviously, there is always a better ***** who can break it in shipping, but it would be a great challenge.

Once unpacked, I turned mine on. I didn't bother charging first because I wanted to see how much charge it shipped with. It had 33 percent battery on bat 1 and 28 percent on bat 2. I was able to go through the entire setup without plugging the thing in.

The first thing I noticed is that if you do not pick the option to setup a PIN, it will not allow you to setup windows hello until after you run updates. Just FYI, setup a pin on initial setup - and make sure you have your pen with you before you turn the thing on.

Also, I would obviously suggest you make sure it is plugged in before setting up, I was doing a more stressful test that I would not suggest to anyone.

Once the system was set up I tried to detach the tablet. I hit the button, heard a nice sound, and realized that everything let go except the left side. I tried to reseat the tablet and tried again. And again, and again. Eventually, both sides let go. Now here is the interesting thing: I remember the SB team saying that every surfacebook is going to be hand built and different. I have also noticed that since the system seems to have "learned" how to let this thing go, it has had no problems since. I will keep playing with it, but after the initial few run throughs, it just lets go now.

The pen does not seem to work as advertised. I have tried to write on websites through Edge and it is a no go. I will keep testing this and will look up answers, but it should be more obvious our to the box.

The fans run all the time. I don't care about fan noise, but they have not stopped since undocking this thing. As long as it runs quickly, I don't care.

I love the keyboard, enough said. It is pretty much perfect. The trackpad, however, comes defaulted at "I don't think you can move slower" rate

Build: this thing feels perfect. I can operate with one hand, two hands, keyboard, tablet, toes, whatever. I really can't remember a better computing experience.

So I have a LOT more tests to run. These are my initial impressions. I love this thing so far, but it definitely needs a bit of TLC before delivering on the promises MS mad. Lets hope the gaps are filled.

kittengirl

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site
Using the pen to make notations in edge works fine for m. Are yo enabling that function by clicking on the little pen and paper icon on the upper right corner?

pdch

Sep 21, 2012
Visit site
I actually had to redock the tablet and suddenly the option popped up. It now is there for both undocked and docked functionality. This is definitely an interesting piece of engineering. I love it so far. Even so, I have noticed that the tablet on the i7 version gets fairly warm when undocked.

One other thing I have noticed is that after a couple of hours it is considerable faster than when unboxing in both docked and undocked modes. Again I remind myself that MS talked about how each one of these will be unique and will learn - and I think I am witnessing that happening. Now, let s get all shiny with chrome!

pdch

Sep 21, 2012
Visit site
Lol, you don't have to put a battery in. It is locked an loaded when unboxing. You just have to hold the cap for 5 seconds during initial setup.

pdch

Sep 21, 2012
Visit site
Okay, biggest (and sounds like whining) gripe is that the fans have been running at full throttle since I turned this thing on. They are not LOUD, but also not quiet. They are VERY noticeable.

houkoholic

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
If you have a lot of things synced to your Microsoft Account and stuff on OneDrive then as the machine syncs it will be hitting on the CPU quite heavily and causes the fans to spin on the Surface Pros. I suspect this is probably the same with the Surface Book as well.

ytrewq

May 22, 2014
Visit site
LOL. Where did MS ever say each one was hand built and different? I've watched the launch video several times, and I haven't seen that.

As for suggesting that it will "learn," they don't mean that the hardware will learn how to function. They mean that Cortana builds a library of knowledge about you based on your interactions with it, Outlook, etc.

The pen works on websites perfectly, you just have to know how to turn that function on in the Edge browser. In the upper right corner of the browser there is a square with a pen-like image diagonal in it. (Third icon button from the right.) That will make the website inkable.

If you have fan noise, then you have a piece of software hogging up your CPU or GPU. Open the task manager and see what's using high CPU power. That's probably your culprit. Close it if you can, and you'll see the fan noise go down. (Sometimes it is a website that is open in your browser.)

Good luck.

Stocklone

Jan 14, 2013
Visit site
If you turn on Enhance Pointer Precision under Mouse Properties : Pointer Options : Motion the cursor will fly across the screen. It makes a gigantic difference. It was killing me that it would take 3 or 4 swipes to move the cursor where I wanted.

ParoleGA

Jul 23, 2013
Visit site
If you turn on Enhance Pointer Precision under Mouse Properties : Pointer Options : Motion the cursor will fly across the screen. It makes a gigantic difference. It was killing me that it would take 3 or 4 swipes to move the cursor where I wanted.

That was on by default on mine. I did make a few adjustments to the touchpad options though. I increased cursor speed, turned off the delay, and increased scroll speed slightly. It's great now.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taylormcintire