MicroSD Adapter that's Flush with Chassis?

TheArcaneFlame

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
Wanting to have some semi-permanent attached secondary storage in my Surface Book I tried a Hyper Drive MicroSD adapter that I have for my MacBook Pro hoping that would work. Unfortunately it sticks out a couple millimeters when used in the Surface Book. I would like something that isn't sticking out the side just waiting to catch on things. Ideally I would also like something that doesn't ruin the sleek aesthetic of the device. I know, I'm asking for a lot...

MicrosoftSurfaceBook-HyperDrive.jpg

One of the nice things about these Hyper Drives is that they have an aluminum face that matches the finish of the MacBooks. Luckily that same finish is pretty much a match for the Surface Books as you can see from my photo. It just needs to be a little bit shorter.

I have submitted a request to Hyper asking them to consider making a version of their Hyper Drive for the Surface Book. If anyone else would like such a product it might help if you contacted them asking for it as well.

Otherwise, if anyone finds anything else that works for this and actually sits flush with the edge of the device please report back.

I have also contacted BaseQI asking if any of their Ninja Stealth Drive products would fit the Surface Book. It's possible that one of the other sizes that these companies make might actually work as is. Perhaps one made for a newer MacBook than what I have. If anyone has one of these products for a MacBook/Pro that's newer than a 15" non-retina (mid-2012) would you please try it in a Surface Book and see how it fits, let us know if you find something that works. Thanks!

Last edited:

zombie0

Oct 26, 2013
Visit site
I would love precisely the same thing! I'd like to drop one of those 128 or 200 GB Sandisk micro SD cards in for a bit of extra capacity.

Unlike most people posting on the forum this week, I've not encountered a whole bunch of problems (putting aside problems that are easy to fix). But I had the minor disappointment of realizing the SD card slot wasn't full depth. I had intended to leave a full-size SD card in, but I'd settle for a micro SD if there's an adapter that will fit perfectly flat.

ctk4949

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Yes please find one that fits, I would love to fit my 128GB Samsung Pro microsd in my Surface Book. If it ever ships!! :p

TheArcaneFlame

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
Yes, other than not being flush the Hyper Drive that I tried works fine. So it's still an option even in the present state if you don't mind it protruding a bit.

I did hear back from both Hyper and BaseQI. Both said that while they don't currently have specific offerings to fit the Surface Book, they would look into this as an option in the future. The reply I got back from Hyper said they take customer feedback seriously, thanked me for mine and said they would forward my feedback directly to the CEO.

So nothing yet, but fingers crossed that one or both of these companies will decide to make a Surface Book specific model. Again, I would encourage others to send in feedback asking for these products to be made. I linked to the Hyper contact form in my original post above for quick access.

Dush Ku

Jul 4, 2013
Visit site
Problem is there is no spring mechanism. If you had something perfectly flush you'd never be able to remove it. Unless it was designed with some way for a special tool to reach in and grab it and let you pull it out.

TheArcaneFlame

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
It's not a problem. If you look at the photo I posted you'll see that they have a groove along the top that you hook with your fingernail to pull it out. It works just fine.

You can see below how it looks in the MacBook Pro.

HyperDrive-MacBookPro.jpg

Last edited:

ctk4949

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
There are a bunch of cheapo generic ones on eBay. Who wants to be the guinea pig and get some and see which one fits best?? hehehe

Dush Ku

Jul 4, 2013
Visit site
Looking at my SB, trying to imagine being able to get my nail in that tiny slot.
Does the MacBook slot just release and slide out, it doesn't hold the card in very tight?

TheArcaneFlame

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
Looking at my SB, trying to imagine being able to get my nail in that tiny slot.
Does the MacBook slot just release and slide out, it doesn't hold the card in very tight?

Well I don't know how crazy thick your fingernails may be, but it's very easy to grab with my fingernail and pull it out of the MacBook Pro. The MBP and Surface Book work the same way in regards to the SD card slot. The card is basically held in by friction or pressure of the connector... it doesn't click/lock in place or anything like that. So you slide it in until it stops, then when you want... simply pull it out. That said, it is held in place firmly enough that there is no worry about it inadvertently falling out so long as nothing catches on it. Hence part of the desire for an adapter that sits flush with the edge.

Olen Ronning

Nov 10, 2015
Visit site
This version of the same device made by Baseqi has a 18.2mm depth according to their notes in the Q&A section. I found in another thread that the SD card slides in approx. .75" when fully inserted which is equal to 19mm depth. In theory, the 504A should be the best fit. You can find it on Amazon. (sorry, I'm a noob here so can't post a link)

ctk4949

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb