Surface Book Fan Running While in Sleep, Is This Normal?

krappei

Oct 29, 2015
Visit site
Surface Book Fan Running While in Sleep

I had my surface book (i7, 512gb) sleeping and plugged in for charging last night and I woke up a few times to the whirring of the fan. I opened it up to see what processes were running and it was IE (15-20% CPU). I closed the program. The next time it happened, it was Edge (also 15-20%) so I closed that program too and unplugged and didn't notice the fan run again. Anyone else noticing this? I wonder if it's because the option to keep wifi on while in sleep while charging is affecting it. It's odd that a browser would get the book hot enough to turn on the fan high enough to be audible whether in sleep or not. Also I should note that as soon as I opened task manager, the % CPU use slowly started to drop.

Last edited:

j8ch

Oct 16, 2015
Visit site
Re: Surface Book Fan Running While in Sleep

I am having the same issue and Edge was the cause, not Hello or Wifi connection on sleep.

zombie0

Oct 26, 2013
Visit site

Exact same issue, routinely. But I don't use Edge, so it's not that for me.

pavvento

Jan 6, 2012
Visit site

My fans routinely run at work with minimal applications but I use Edge. I will try Firefox and see if that changes things.

zombie0

Oct 26, 2013
Visit site
I traced my particular problem with excessive fan usage while idle to LockAppHost.exe. I have no idea what the process is intended to do or why it's using so much CPU horsepower while the computer is idle, but I'd like to see if anyone else can corroborate this finding.

krappei

Oct 29, 2015
Visit site

There was a Windows update 11/2 so hopefully that fixes the issue. I'll continue to monitor.

Isaiah Barney

Nov 5, 2015
Visit site
Someone found a fix. This has absolutely worked for me so far. Hopefully it will for you as well.

reddit.com/r/Surface/comments/3rgni6/sleep_battery_drain_fix/

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos