Is Your Book Running Perfectly? Which Model? *Poll

Dec 9, 2011
Visit site
If your Surface Book is working perfectly, never had the battery drain issue, no flickering in Edge, no blue screens, no display driver crashes, etc., PLEASE post which version you have. Some are suggesting that again the i7 models are more susceptable, but I haven;t seen anywhere online where people have been able to quantify within a pool of users.

If you are clean and green, tell us which model you have and follow up with details about preorder or replacements to get you Book bliss.

Thanks!

Aaron Hollingsworth

Oct 28, 2015
Visit site
I have the i7/8gb/256/dGpu model that I picked up on launch day from my local Best Buy.

I have absolutely no issues at all with the unit, however all of that changes when I attempt to use the Surface Dock connected to 2 external monitors.

zombie0

Oct 26, 2013
Visit site
Mine does not support two 4K monitors as advertised. I tentatively plan to give it until approximately Nov 25 (about 30 days since receipt) before I give up and get a proper workstation. I was sold on the notion of a mobile device suitable for desktop computing, but I am also not surprised that it doesn't really match modern desktops in terms of capabilities. I would have no problem driving four 4K displays on a modern desktop PC—even my old home PC does that.

If it comes to that, I will probably retain the Surface Book as a portable computer but discard the dock since I would no longer have a delusion of using it as a desktop replacement.

zerospace-net

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
Mine is mostly good (i5, dGPU - 256GB). The only thing I've seen thus far is I've had the intel display driver crash a few times when undocking the clipboard. Quite frankly, it is not really a big deal to me at all. 3-4 crashes total in nearly a week of using the device isn't bad. It usually takes the Surface DTX application with it, which even started back up manually doesn't work right until the system is rebooted. The keyboard detach button still functions fine, though. It's brand new, bleeding edge hardware -- I felt I was a beta tester for the SP3 last year, and I feel things are about the same with my new Surface Book this year. I've spent a good 3-4 hours total hammering this thing playing Diablo 3 with nary an issue, as well. If the worst I have is a display driver crash not even once per day, I'll take it. I'm sure Intel and MS will get that one sorted out relatively quickly.

All of the other issues people have seen, I haven't seen them yet. *knocks on wood* I have my screen set to manual brightness because the auto-brightness function is so wonky (sometimes way too bright, other times far too dim). Honestly, the auto-brightness was almost as wonky on the Surface Pro 3, too. My Wi-Fi works perfectly. I have not enabled hyper-v (no need). I even "dock" this thing to a little USB3 hub with gigabit ethernet in my home office and it switches between the Wi-Fi and the wired quite fast. I've hooked it up to an external monitor via a mini-displayport to DVI adapter and it worked perfectly fine. I still consider myself to be determining if I'm going to keep this or return to my SP3, but right now, the SB is winning (I love being able to play Diablo 3 on my couch... ;)).

valadon

Oct 30, 2014
Visit site
When I turned mine on for the first time instead of getting the new computer setup wizard I instead got a log-in screen. The only account listed was "Other Account" and of course I didn't have the password or username to be able to log into that account since I never created it. I had to reinstall windows to be able to use the brand new computer that I just bought.

After that is has worked pretty well, except for the battery issues. I have the drain on sleep issue and the poor battery performance overall issue.

boo516

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
When I turned mine on for the first time instead of getting the new computer setup wizard I instead got a log-in screen. The only account listed was "Other Account" and of course I didn't have the password or username to be able to log into that account since I never created it. I had to reinstall windows to be able to use the brand new computer that I just bought.

After that is has worked pretty well, except for the battery issues. I have the drain on sleep issue and the poor battery performance overall issue.

Had that issue too but it's a software issue that is easily fixed through a soft reset (Power + Volume down). Microsoft is already aware of it.

Hardcore1973

Dec 3, 2013
Visit site
Everyone's Surface book and doesn't matter all have the HD 520 graphic issues (screen flickering with edge, adapter crashing, etc). That is a software issue that has not been worked out. So no one right now has a perfect setup. I have 3 Surface Books and 2 of them (base models) are running good (2 blue screens on each) and of course they have the graphic issues, the i5/256/dgpu has completely died.

worwig

Jun 12, 2015
Visit site
Everyone's Surface book and doesn't matter all have the HD 520 graphic issues (screen flickering with edge, adapter crashing, etc). That is a software issue that has not been worked out. So no one right now has a perfect setup. I have 3 Surface Books and 2 of them (base models) are running good (2 blue screens on each) and of course they have the graphic issues, the i5/256/dgpu has completely died.

This^^^^^^.

For starters NOTHING is ever perfect. So the poll question is going to be skewed.

In my 5 days of ownership, I had one blue screen while installing so old software. That never returned. I of course get the display flicker, notably when using Edge on some web sites. It is not perfect, but it is pretty good. I will pass final judgment in a month after see if they correct the display driver/flicker issue.

At this point I do not regret getting it.

daddyful

Nov 4, 2015
Visit site
i7/256/dgpu. Mostly the display driver failure issue. Also not recognizing if the screen is detached or not (only happened once) lol

Has anyone else here experienced Windows Hello always asking to set up pin? The only way i found around this was disconnecting my MS account and using a local account. Also a few times i couldn't type anything in the password/pin text box unless i restarted.

Erik Talbert

Oct 9, 2015
Visit site
i7/512/dgpu Working 100% perfectly here. Love my book, no issues, have been playing Mass Effect in 1080p almost max settings for the past few days (save says almost 9 hours of play).

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rorymi6