Anybody else get the Firmware Update?

anon(5445874)

Dec 6, 2012
Visit site
In the last few hours, this update has been working well.

I did however have some extreme issues at first. After the install & restart, I opened edge and it was good. Then I opened lightroom and discovered that I can now use the GPU for photo editing. Then I decided to test premiere pro. That is where all hell broke loose. While loading a project premiere pro took me strait into a blue screen. So after it booted back up, all I did was open edge and clicked on facebook. That immediately sent me into another blue screen just 30 seconds after windows loaded. Since then I've had no blue screens but I've had at least 5 or 6 driver crashes. Although I've avoided Premiere Pro since then.

Note that i'm on a Surface Pro 4 (i5 8GB 256GB)

Also, I do love how awesome and super high res that blue screen looks on the SP4 display. It's quite lovely.

EDIT: just got back from another bluescreen after attempting to edit more video.

Last edited:

afcor

Feb 12, 2014
Visit site
This seems to have fixed a lot of the annoyances I was having with Edge and the Surface Book. I haven't noticed any screen flicker or temperature fluctuations since upgrading. I've tried removing the screen and reattaching it with no troubles. So far, so good! This is a genuine improvement for me!

taymur

Aug 22, 2012
Visit site
So the issue with the Surface Book is actually the graphics side of it.

Usually on computers, to remove a part, a restart is required. for example you cant remove the graphics card from your desktop while its on.

Microsoft had to deal with this challenge and its a tough one.

Do surface Books with no GPU have the same issues though?

spasell

Jun 11, 2014
Visit site
I received my placement device yesterday. Original would not allow my screen to detach from the base on the left side only.

This one does cleanly and easily. I also have the firmware 11/2 waiting when I downloaded updates. Sadly, while it did fix the stuttering issues it did NOT fix Display Driver crashes error at all, and I am still getting some delay on the keyboard and cursor that I had previously.

zerospace-net

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
So far so good with the new firmware update here, though my issues were not extreme. Prior to this update, I had the intel driver crash about 4-5 times in total, ONCE resulted in a video scheduler BSOD (that was the first BSOD I've seen since Windows 7, amusingly enough -- and the frowning emoticon just makes me snicker).

Things I noticed after the firmware update:

1) On first boot, Windows Hello refused to see me. I had to sign in manually with my password.
2) Once signed in, the clipboard was indicating that it was detached, though the battery status showed both batteries (and the keyboard/trackpad, etc were all functioning). I attempted to detach (via the keyboard) and re-attach hoping that would clear the incorrect detached notification, but it didn't.

A reboot fixed both of these issues, neither of which have recurred yet.

Things to note: I do not use Edge. Sadly for MS, Edge just isn't as good as metro IE was on a touchscreen, so if I'm losing the benefits of that version of IE, I might as well use my go-to desktop browser, which is Firefox. I also don't watch a ton of videos on YouTube either, so perhaps that has something to do with why I haven't seen as many graphics driver issues as others have.

Also note: my SB is the i5/dGPU model.

kancherlapraneeth

Oct 12, 2012
Visit site
So the issue with the Surface Book is actually the graphics side of it.

Usually on computers, to remove a part, a restart is required. for example you cant remove the graphics card from your desktop while its on.

Microsoft had to deal with this challenge and its a tough one.

Do surface Books with no GPU have the same issues though?

Surface book with no GPU seems to be having less issues. But there are issues while undocking the keyboard and battery not charging

valadon

Oct 30, 2014
Visit site
The update made my trackpad 2 finger scroll work great just as good as my macbook, and I have never had any blue screens or flickering before or after the patch (I have never used Edge, only chrome). Battery in sleep seems a bit better....maybe....probably not. Battery life overall is still pretty poor.

However I am now having a problem that my trackpad stops working correctly after waking from sleep or hibernation. The device seems to think the trackpad is a simple mouse and I lose the ability to do any multitouch gesture. Two-finger scrolling, two-finger right click tap, etc stops working. I have to detach and reattach the screen to make it work. It works great until it wakes up from sleep again and then it appears to lose the track pad again.

It is driving me crazy. Hopefully they can get all of this stuff worked out before the return policy expires or I will have to go back to my Macbook. Which I really don't want to do because I love the surface book when the battery is not dead and the trackpad works!

tedj101

Jul 3, 2015
Visit site
Just updated mine. Did about 4-5 restarts, so be patient. I wasn't really using Edge as the last time my Chrome bookmarks would always be synced in reverse order (and no adblock). May give it a try again now.

While I haven't tried it on my Surface Book yet, I've been using AdFender as an ad blocker for Edge on my desktop for several days and it seems to be very good so far.

<TED>

Razor237xp

Oct 28, 2015
Visit site
Yay I downloaded and installed the firmware and now my surface book wont boot , sits at the surface logo for 10min + then the bios comes up ugh

Posted via the Windows Central App for Android

cdd543

Mar 25, 2012
Visit site
I was running 10576 insider build and I think this update installed automatically and then I had a bsod loop where I had to completely reformat my surface book. Not good. After reformatting the 11/2 update failed and now isn't available. Worse thing is that I'm not 100% sure of the cause if it was the 11/2 update or the insider build that had previously been completely stable. I'm leaning towards the update.

zerospace-net

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
Surface book with no GPU seems to be having less issues. But there are issues while undocking the keyboard and battery not charging

Umm, I'm not so sure about that. A lot of issues people are having are related to the Intel HD graphics driver, which is present on all models. I think the loudest group has been the i7/dGPU models, but those have been the hardest models to find since launch day (especially the 16GB/512GB verison), so its also probably fair to say they sold a lot more of those than the other models.

That said, I have not seen the battery not charging issue at all. The only time my SB wouldn't charge was when I plugged it into a pretty loaded up battery backup (don't ask.. I forgot to unplug some old accessories that are still living on my desk). Once I removed the extra stuff, it got enough juice to charge. I think the important thing to note here is that the SB draws some pretty serious power.

taymur

Aug 22, 2012
Visit site

Somewhat expected, as an owner of the surface 2, i can say there is an issue with the keyboard, i keep losing connection, and suddenly the keyboard is out, i have to disconnect and reconnect.

seems like a thing that Microsoft with all these years did not yet figure it out.

kancherlapraneeth

Oct 12, 2012
Visit site
Umm, I'm not so sure about that. A lot of issues people are having are related to the Intel HD graphics driver, which is present on all models. I think the loudest group has been the i7/dGPU models, but those have been the hardest models to find since launch day (especially the 16GB/512GB verison), so its also probably fair to say they sold a lot more of those than the other models.

That said, I have not seen the battery not charging issue at all. The only time my SB wouldn't charge was when I plugged it into a pretty loaded up battery backup (don't ask.. I forgot to unplug some old accessories that are still living on my desk). Once I removed the extra stuff, it got enough juice to charge. I think the important thing to note here is that the SB draws some pretty serious power.

I ended up replacing my SB because of battery not charging issue and the new one seems to be good. I have not experienced single issue until now.

ctk4949

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Just got mine and tried doing the 11/2 FW update, but it keeps failing and telling me to retry again. Anyone know of a fix?? I have i7/16/512

please help, thanks!!

carloscentral

Oct 29, 2015
Visit site
Just got mine and tried doing the 11/2 FW update, but it keeps failing and telling me to retry again. Anyone know of a fix?? I have i7/16/512

please help, thanks!!

Make sure your SB is over 50% charged. I was having issues with the FW update and the Microsoft store rep told me the computer needed to be sufficiently in order to install, I think mined worked after 40ish percent, but it could even be above 50%. Good luck!

ctk4949

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Make sure your SB is over 50% charged. I was having issues with the FW update and the Microsoft store rep told me the computer needed to be sufficiently in order to install, I think mined worked after 40ish percent, but it could even be above 50%. Good luck!

That must have been it, my SB had 1% battery left when I got it.
I let it charged up and tried the update again and it went through.

Thanks!!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
powerupgo