Just How Great is the S-Book for Creative Professionals?

bo_woods

Aug 14, 2014
Visit site
I absolutely love the new S-Book from what I've been able to experience hands on in person with the device...

Although why is it being pitted MORE towards Creative Productions while the S-Pro 4 is being pitted for more standard productivity like Word documents & stuff?

Especially when the S-Book can't be used in a cintiq-like way due to the lack of a kickstand... Flipping it around to achieve that 45 degree angle just results in a wobbly mess... While the Pro 4 does this perfectly...

daddyful

Nov 4, 2015
Visit site
This is something that im trying to figure out myself. I can see the issue with the SB for not being able to use the keyboard while on clipboard mode as well, something that alot of illustrators use when doing stuff digitally.

From what i've tried so far as well is that they need to fix the driver issue. Its making the SB move sluggishly and people end up thinking why they spent 2K on a laptop that crawls at a snails pace :(

bo_woods

Aug 14, 2014
Visit site
This is something that im trying to figure out myself. I can see the issue with the SB for not being able to use the keyboard while on clipboard mode as well, something that alot of illustrators use when doing stuff digitally.

From what i've tried so far as well is that they need to fix the driver issue. Its making the SB move sluggishly and people end up thinking why they spent 2K on a laptop that crawls at a snails pace :(
Using the keyboard while in clipboard mode?
Did you do that on your previous Surface (assuming the S-Book isn't your first)?

How would that work considering clipboard mode means you can't see the keys your pressing...

bo_woods

Aug 14, 2014
Visit site
If there's a good way to use keys while the keyboard is flipped around on a SP or SB, I'm interested as the hotkeys you get when you have a Cintiq is nothing more than a wish when using Surface for Creative work...

daddyful

Nov 4, 2015
Visit site
oh no, what i meant is that i wish you were ABLE to use the keyboard while on clipboard mode. I have seen some video somewhere on youtube of a guy using some type of touch hotkeys displaying on the screen while using it with clipboard mode and drawing in photoshop.

The Surface book is the first "surface" device for me actually so im very new to this :)

daddyful

Nov 4, 2015
Visit site
oh no, what i meant is that i wish you were ABLE to use the keyboard while on clipboard mode. I have seen some video somewhere on youtube of a guy using some type of touch hotkeys displaying on the screen while using it with clipboard mode and drawing in photoshop.

The Surface book is the first "surface" device for me actually so im very new to this :)

EDIT: I found the video but the forum rules says i can't post links yet :(

(fill-in this part) youtube.com/watch?v=nTVwz3q82O8

John M Beauchemin

Sep 21, 2015
Visit site
Using the keyboard while in clipboard mode?
Did you do that on your previous Surface (assuming the S-Book isn't your first)?

How would that work considering clipboard mode means you can't see the keys your pressing...

Using any complex art program like Photoshop or Maya means using keyboard hotkeys constantly. I honestly don't think I'd even be able to draw in PS without a keyboard. With the surface Pro 4, you can kick out the stand so the surface is at a comfortable angle for drawing and still use the attached keyboard for your hotkeys.

So I think what he's saying is that you can't do this with the SB because there is no kickstand. You can't really configure it in such a way that is good for drawing while still being able to access the keyboard like you can with the SP4.

*edit: It would have been really neat if they had made it so that when you detach the tablet from the base, they base turns into a wireless keyboard so that you could still use it if you needed to without having to re-attach the tablet.

bo_woods

Aug 14, 2014
Visit site
Using any complex art program like Photoshop or Maya means using keyboard hotkeys constantly. I honestly don't think I'd even be able to draw in PS without a keyboard. With the surface Pro 4, you can kick out the stand so the surface is at a comfortable angle for drawing and still use the attached keyboard for your hotkeys.

So I think what he's saying is that you can't do this with the SB because there is no kickstand. You can't really configure it in such a way that is good for drawing while still being able to access the keyboard like you can with the SP4.

*edit: It would have been really neat if they had made it so that when you detach the tablet from the base, they base turns into a wireless keyboard so that you could still use it if you needed to without having to re-attach the tablet.

Wow that actually would be extremely cool...I'm desperate to find a way to have some type of hotkeys while drawing in Toon Boom (just left Adobe Flash Pro CC).

Yeah, having the keyboard out from with the S-Pro kicked back works, but then the keyboard basically distances you from the display, making drawing less comfortable.

daddyful

Nov 4, 2015
Visit site
i do hope that the surface book will have a wireless adapter to it later on. The one in the store apparently has poor battery life PLUS you'd have to detach the tablet portion in order to use it (which drastically lowers the battery life)

Larry Piercy

Nov 26, 2015
Visit site
I guess you could use it in tablet mode, with the keyboard behind the screen and then use a Bluetooth or usb keyboard. I use a Bluetooth mouse with mine as I cant stand touchpads

sb tablet.jpg.

orlbuckeye

Mar 19, 2015
Visit site
I'm using a wireless mouse but ordered a Bluetooth mouse to free up the USB port. I have a 256 GB external SSD that i took out of my Alienware and formatted.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bradhism