There should be one more Model

bo_woods

Aug 14, 2014
Visit site
There should be a Core M 128gb 4gig of Ram and i5 128gb 4gig of Ram version of the Surface Book...

I'm sure there are many that are cool with a Core M processor on the SP4, but want the S-Book for it's larger display, longer battery life, extra ports, and superior laptop mode and not necessarily the base model having more ram or the Nvidia chip in some models.

The Core M/i5 128gb 4gig Ram version could start at around $1,199

Last edited:

Giddora

Jan 14, 2012
Visit site
Re: There Should be a more Lower Models

They aren't going after that part of the market. They're staying in the upper tier to steer clear from where most of their OEM's make their money.

ccpopham

Oct 22, 2015
Visit site

Like many companies, Verizon and Apple for example, are targeting the higher end market. The profit margin is higher for them and it makes up for not selling as many. The market is saturated with lower end cheaper models and a much lower profit margin. For Microsoft to make a cheaper version of the book and attempt to compete with all of the others in that market would mean they would not make any profit and most likely lose money.

For this reason, this area is not Microsoft's target.

Posted via the Windows Central App for Android

bo_woods

Aug 14, 2014
Visit site

Like many companies, Verizon and Apple for example, are targeting the higher end market. The profit margin is higher for them and it makes up for not selling as many. The market is saturated with lower end cheaper models and a much lower profit margin. For Microsoft to make a cheaper version of the book and attempt to compete with all of the others in that market would mean they would not make any profit and most likely lose money.

For this reason, this area is not Microsoft's target.

Posted via the Windows Central App for Android

An i5 or Core M 128gb 4gig of Ram Surface Book would still very much be a high end device, just like the Core M Surface Pro 4 is a high end premium class device.

I'm not asking for them to make a $500 low end dirt cheap model, but a base model that's more similar to the base SP4 models flexibility as far as not being overkill for some people.

But I can see your point(s)

zerospace-net

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site

An i5 or Core M 128gb 4gig of Ram Surface Book would still very much be a high end device, just like the Core M Surface Pro 4 is a high end premium class device.

Entertaining for a moment that MS might do this (though I tend to agree with the other poster regarding MS's reason for not doing it), I sincerely doubt that a drop of 4GB of RAM from the current base SB model would warrant a drop in price of $500 or even $300 (the base SB model is an i5/128gb/8gb unit). It would have to be a Core M to get near that price point, and even at that, I sincerely doubt you'd see a price tag of $999 on a SB given that the SP4 (which does not have the keyboard base) starts at $899 for the same configuration. A Core M/4gb/128gb in the SB would likely start around $1299 at minimum, I'd guess.

Yonic Boom

Jan 29, 2014
Visit site

They aren't going after that part of the market. They're staying in the upper tier to steer clear from where most of their OEM's make their money.
That and it would overlap too much with the Surface Pro.

ikjadoon

Aug 23, 2015
Visit site

Right. I think in a device centered on content creation, 4GB of soldered RAM in 2015 spreads it a little too thin.

I also think...in a weird way....maybe don't want a cheap version (i.e., below $1500) for psychological reasons. It needs to retain that "premium" barrier of entry to make it feel a bit more exclusive. Maybe. hahaha.

bo_woods

Aug 14, 2014
Visit site
Again I'm not asking them to make this device cheap, low end or for budget minded consumers at all. I'm all for Surface continuing to be a high end premium (and expensive) product series. I was just simply suggesting one more model just below the base model... but I guess it's unnecessary so whatever

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3