Surface Book and Photoshop - Uncheck/Check "Use Graphics Processor"?

daddyful

Nov 4, 2015
Visit site
From my understanding, isnt having it checked supposed to help with the performance? From what I noticed, switching it to "Basic" under the advanced settings has yielded a much faster and smoother result at the cost of losing multi-touch functionality (as far as i can tell)

Any thoughts on this anyone? I'm currently trying to basically make photoshop run as smooth as possible for illustrating on the surface book.

Yonic Boom

Jan 29, 2014
Visit site
I was going to say that was really odd, but now that I check Photoshop mine somehow got set to basic as well. When I move it up to normal the lag on drawing even in simple documents isn't workable.

You might have better luck taking this up with Adobe's community, but my instinct here is that Adobe is going to have to push an update out to better make use of the Surface's GPU. CC's GPU support is buggy and awful. When it works it's great, when it doesn't it's a total mess. I had to work like crazy to trick it into working with the ATI card on my desktop.

It's perfectly functional in basic mode fortunately (so much so that I didn't notice it was set to that), but I'm sure there are features in normal I'd miss if I did more serious illustration on the device.

daveywilson

Nov 28, 2015
Visit site
This is because Photoshop (for some weird reason) defaults to use the Intel Graphics instead of NVIDIA GPU on Surface Book. I had the same issues on mine.

To fix this:
Go to Control Panel
Then "Hardware and Sound"
Scroll down and click on NVIDIA Control Panel
Click on "Manage 3D Settings"
Then "Select Program to Customize" and click on "Photoshop"
Change graphics processor from "Integrated" to "High Performance NVIDIA Processor"

After this you can go back to Photoshop & change to "Advanced" and get the performance you paid for!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon