My Surface Book went to sleep - permanently!

tedj101

Jul 3, 2015
Visit site
Last night I tried using the "Sleep" button (in the power menu) for the first time. It worked fine and I had no difficulties. I then decided to put the Book to sleep for the night in part to see whether the new firmware and Windows 10 update had resolved the power usage problem during sleep. In the morning I tried to wake my Book (several times) and nothing happened. I then tried using the power button and nothing happened. I tried holding the power button down and nothing happened. I tried a two button close followed, after a delay, by the power button and nothing happened. I know the basic Book is working since I can press the disconnect key and disconnect the Clip Board. While it was off, I tried the power button again and nothing happened.

So, is there something that I haven't tried that will bring this thing back to life or is it a brick after 3 weeks of use?

Thanks,
<TED>

tedj101

Jul 3, 2015
Visit site
Well, I got the problem solved. There is a page on the Microsoft web site devoted to this eventuality. Basically, I did a 2 button reset for a full minute and then started it normally. I had done a two button before, but not for that long.

Spongers8X

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Does that factory reset the device or just a soft reset that keeps all your configurations?

All this does is fully power off the surface, regardless of what sleep/hibernate state it is in. It is perfectly safe to do.

Posted via the Windows Central App for Android

TheCudder

Sep 22, 2013
Visit site
A standard hard shutdown should "fix" this when it occurs. My Surface Pro 4 does this every time it's been in "Sleep" for longer than maybe 15 minutes (haven't bothered to test getting an exact time). I just hold the power button down and count to 15-20 seconds, let go, wait a couple seconds and press the power button to boot it back up.

orlbuckeye

Mar 19, 2015
Visit site
I was in the MS Support chat windows last night and they tried the power and volume up for 30 seconds 3 times in a row with no success. The thing is it was a hour after unpacking. When I hit the power the keyboard lights came on but not the screen. I did the updates and noticed a firmware update. The screen went black and the firmware and updates were being installed.
'

orlbuckeye

Mar 19, 2015
Visit site
I just went to support on the Windows Store site and slected Surface Book and a chat window popped up and he had me hold the power button down and the Volume up for 30 seconds tha the wait 10 and try they power alone (with no luck so he created a ticket for me to exchange it. They emailed me a Fedex mailing label and i packed it and went to Fedex. I took it to Fedex and it's set for next day. I tracked it today as I shipped before 10:00 am EST and today it's at it's Fedex destination in Texas and will be delivered by 3:00 PM. They said the turnaround is 3 to 5 business days from the time I ship. So i'm hoping I get it wednesday before holidays Thanksgiving and Black friday.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bevitalglucopre