new firmware update available

GregCra

Oct 30, 2013
Visit site
I just installed this firmware update and now my camera will not turn on.. so I had to enter a PIN - I had no problems with HELLO before. Oh, just noticed an error not all updates were installed.. I better look into that. Hope the display driver issue is fixed?!

UPDATE - a few reboots later and the camera is now working again. Not sure what change. The display driver is NOT fixed.. I just got it (the failure and restart of display driver) again now. :(

kltye

Nov 18, 2011
Visit site
I had no problems with my IR camera, and my battery driver now reports 2015! Yay! I couldn't update it from the 2006 ones. Maps on Windows 10 still shows no road lines, but hopefully this will make it sleep properly...

enixon

Feb 16, 2013
Visit site
I haven't tested sleeping yet, I just systematically turn my Book off now...lol

Edge hasn't crashed yet, nor has the Intel driver. I'm really thinking they fixed their stuff.

Let's recap what Microsoft has done in the past 30-45 days:
Launch Surface Pro 4 and Surface Book
Release Threshold 2
"Finalize" Windows 10 Mobile
Release Microsoft Band 2
Release Xbox NXOE
Launching 950 and 950 XL in days...

I don't think there is one company that can do all of that as well as Microsoft.

valadon

Oct 30, 2014
Visit site
Based on my testing and the thread over at Reddit it seems that this update mostly just fixed the freezing issue that some users were experiencing. They did NOT touch the Intel drivers or the sleep battery drain. My device still seems to be burning through the battery pretty quickly in sleep so it seems that they in fact did not fix that. However I am seeing it say 10 hours of battery life left instead of 4-6 hours that it was saying before the update, but it is too early to tell if I am actually going to get that much time out of it.

So all in all it looks like they squashed on major bug but didn't really touch the others. I wasn't having the freezing problem on my SB but I was having it on another SB that I was setting up for someone at work. Since the update the work SB has not frozen but I still need more testing to be sure that it is fixed.

I hope they fix the battery sleep bug soon! That is really the last major problem that my device is having.

enixon

Feb 16, 2013
Visit site
Based on my testing and the thread over at Reddit it seems that this update mostly just fixed the freezing issue that some users were experiencing. They did NOT touch the Intel drivers or the sleep battery drain. My device still seems to be burning through the battery pretty quickly in sleep so it seems that they in fact did not fix that. However I am seeing it say 10 hours of battery life left instead of 4-6 hours that it was saying before the update, but it is too early to tell if I am actually going to get that much time out of it.

So all in all it looks like they squashed on major bug but didn't really touch the others. I wasn't having the freezing problem on my SB but I was having it on another SB that I was setting up for someone at work. Since the update the work SB has not frozen but I still need more testing to be sure that it is fixed.

I hope they fix the battery sleep bug soon! That is really the last major problem that my device is having.

I was just browsing eBay and had the Intel display driver crash. Hopefully Intel can push a new update soon!

Garion Brown

Jul 28, 2013
Visit site
I haven't had a single edge issue, display driver or power error since installing new cumulative and new firmware released today. I am very hopeful as its been over 3 hours and no issues. Just visiting this site would normally cause some sort of crash within 15mins. Still waiting to see if battery life improves

Update: edge display driver still crashing

Last edited:

StevePT

Jul 19, 2012
Visit site
I read somewhere there's an Intel Display Driver available on their website and that installing that driver through Device Manager has solved the crashing issues.

orlbuckeye

Mar 19, 2015
Visit site
I updated the firmware and it bricked my Surface Book on the first day :( . I have to rush it to Fedex and they say 5 to 8 business days hope i can get new one by holiday.

zerospace-net

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
Installed the firmware update on my i5/dGPU SB last night & so far, so good. No issues with the camera here (windows hello worked fine right away this time, unlike the last firmware update). Played about 2.5 hours of Diablo 3 immediately following the update & had no issues (in fact, I swear my battery lasted longer, but that might just be a placebo effect). I don't get a lot of display driver crashes or many other serious issues, so I really can't comment on how this update affects those things. All I know is each update seems to improve the stability of my SB a little.

mcf517

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
This was happening before, but does anyone lose pen and multi-touch input after the computer wakes up from sleep or hibernate? Also, the sign in screen and desktop are a mess sometimes when waking up as well -- it flickers and windows are drawn incorrectly.

Dec 9, 2011
Visit site
This was happening before, but does anyone lose pen and multi-touch input after the computer wakes up from sleep or hibernate? Also, the sign in screen and desktop are a mess sometimes when waking up as well -- it flickers and windows are drawn incorrectly.
Yup. Had these. So fed up. I love this display. It is sooo good but I can't stand having a compromised device. It sucks.

gamer_stew

Oct 20, 2015
Visit site
So far so good, I don't lose the ability to use 2 finger scrolling when it wakes up from sleep, nor does the mouse pointer randomly disappear anymore when it wakes up from sleep. I also haven't seen the "auto rotate on" randomly flash across the screen, the display driver hasn't crashed since installing either.
i7/16gb ram/512 SSD

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon