Wrong surface book model shipped

ballaonnabudget

Jul 25, 2013
Visit site
So I think I may have been shipped the wrong model. I ordered the i5 with dedicated GPU but when I look in the systems settings I don't see the NVIDIA gpu anywhere. So my questions are:

1. Should I see the dGPU in the device manager and where is it?
2. Can someone screenshot it so I can make a comparison?

Thanks in advance!!

olyar15

Nov 7, 2015
Visit site
You should have an nvidia control panel applet in the control panel. Also, you should see an nvidia gpu in device manager under display adapters along with the intel gpu, but only when the clipboard is docked with the keyboard. I've noticed, however, that sometimes when docked, the nvidia gpu isn't connected. An undocking and redocking usually fixes that.

ballaonnabudget

Jul 25, 2013
Visit site
Thanks that's what I thought. Theres no NVIDIA control panel and I've docked and reduced multiple time and the dgpu doesn't show up. Gonna take it to the store to exchange it today.

orlbuckeye

Mar 19, 2015
Visit site
Well the i5 and no DGPU is 1699 and with DGPU it's 1899. You can go to the MS surface support and get a chat window. They should be able to tell by the serial number.

Contact whomever you purchased it from.

Last edited:

zerospace-net

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
The box your Surface Book came in should also indicate the presence of the dGPU. If it won't show up no matter what you do, though, I would just exchange it.

ballaonnabudget

Jul 25, 2013
Visit site
The box indicated it was the correct model (i5 w/ dgpu). When I took it to the store they confirmed that it had no dgpu In it. They will exchange it when they get one in stock. Not sure if someone tried to pull one over on me or if this was an honest mistake.

cvflowe

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
The box indicated it was the correct model (i5 w/ dgpu). When I took it to the store they confirmed that it had no dgpu In it. They will exchange it when they get one in stock. Not sure if someone tried to pull one over on me or if this was an honest mistake.

Did you try looking in device manager? My unit shows it on the box and no other place but device manager.

Posted via the Windows Central App for Android

zerospace-net

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site

If anyone tried to pull one over, I'd guess it's someone who bought two units -- one with the dGPU and one without-- then swapped the bases and returned the dGPU unit. Then they'd be getting the dGPU for the price of the one without it. *sigh* I'd hope MS employees would check the serial numbers etched onto the keyboards, but it wouldn't shock me if someone didn't bother.

I hope it was just an honest mistake, but it's really hard to imagine how a human being wasn't involved in that somehow.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shelton786