Base Battery Drain When Clipboard Detached

DonBakke

Mar 6, 2014
Visit site
Just curious if others have seen this. I generally have my Surface Book connected to a charger and then pull the clipboard off when I want to watch a video while going for a walk. When I return the clipboard to the base I noticed that the battery of the base (Battery 1 I believe) shows evidence of being drained, despite still being connected to the charger.

Also, even after I re-connect the clipboard, the batteries do not automatically go into charge mode. I have to disconnect the charger and reconnect it before they kick in.

ccpopham

Oct 22, 2015
Visit site
I believe battery 1 is your clipboard battery and battery 2 is the keyboard battery. When you look at the battery with clipboard detached it only displays battery 1 and not 2 or 1 and 2. This would get confusing if the clipboard was assigned battery number 2.

This also brings up another point. I'd wish that we had a setting so that when docked and on battery, we could have it draw down the keyboard battery first and then then clipboard battery. That way if you would like to go to clipboard mode, you would have a higher charge. As it stands now, they drawdown the same amount, but with the clipboard battery being smaller, it takes a bigger hit in this power scheme.

Posted via the Windows Central App for Android

gootdude

Feb 24, 2013
Visit site
Try using a tool like batterymon which provides detailed battery information, including the amount of charge and rate of charge for each battery separately.

My dGPU i7 showed that it splits the power evenly and charges both batteries up whenever they were both low, and would always charge the clipboard whenever I removed it and re-attached it.

Also, make sure the latest firmware/updates actually updated your battery driver in device manager from the 2006 generic microsoft driver.

I haven't heard of anyone having your issue where you plug in the charger and it doesn't start charging, sounds like you have bad hardware.

gootdude

Feb 24, 2013
Visit site
Also, batterymon showed that although it says both are in use, one battery will only be drawing < 100mw and the other is driving the system. So although windows reports both batteries are draining, only 1 is actually draining at full rate.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss