Just picked up a Surface Book

rm2092

Nov 29, 2015
Visit site
Like the title says I just bought a Surface Book, I5 256GB. I was so back and forth on buying one because of all the complaints on the forum so today I said screw it and just buy one if you want it buy one and with 18 months and zero interest from Best Buy why not and not to mention since its the holidays they give you until Jan 15th of next year to return. Oh ya Ive been a long time Mac user for 15 years now so this is my first PC in a long time. Well looks like my Surface Book is ready, oh ya typing this on my RMBP as we speak. Hope all goes well and I'll be replying back on the Surface Book and unplugging the Mac for a bit ?

EnemiesInTheEnd

Nov 18, 2013
Visit site
My only real issue with the Surface Book is the battery life and that's not really a knock against the Surface Book so much as my disappointment in laptop battery life overall.

rm2092

Nov 29, 2015
Visit site
Well it was a short ownership, right after I did all the updates the computer booted up and all the apps were un responsive. Took several reboots to fix it. Played with it for a while with some screen flickering and had several messages how a driver failed then resolved it self. In the end I took it back to Best Buy for a return and then when the Geek guy was looking at it to clear my account off it he said the hard drive locked up. Oh well back to my Mac.

g808

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
Seemed like a doomed experiment from the start. I'm also a long time Mac user, but have used Windows as well at work. My main issues so far are similar: battery life is no where near advertised (get on average 5-6 hrs of usage which is not much worse than my MacBook Pro) and get the display driver crash error every now and then. Trying to stick it out. I have until Dec 6th to decide.

rm2092

Nov 29, 2015
Visit site
I really wanted to make it work, I was in Best Buy 3 days in a row looking at it playing with it and even there demo model seemed buggy like no cursor at times but I said screw it I won't know till I buy it. Every time I was in there I also wanted the new RMB and now I own one along with my 15" RMBP powerhouse.

orlbuckeye

Mar 19, 2015
Visit site
Yes there is a known issue with the Intel display driver which will be fixed. Some people have downloaded the Beta drivers directy from Intel and it stopped the issue. Mine has great battery life around 12 hours. I installed Office 2016 and my VPN for work and all is working fine.

EnemiesInTheEnd

Nov 18, 2013
Visit site
My real world experiences are good. I've experienced bugs, but minor ones that were easily resolved. I don't regret my purchase. I think I could even match or exceed the 12 hour battery life.

bbolding75

Dec 3, 2015
Visit site
Yes, the Intel driver error issue was fixed today with the 12/2 hardware update. Now, let's hope they focus on the battery drain issues! I get about 7-8 hours of use each day out of mine. I absolutely LOVE my Surface Book, just will be a much happier camper once Microsoft irons out these other first gen device issues. I sold my MBP to buy this and so glad I did, I love Windows 10 and how this all works together.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
EyeTea