Is the Surface Book worth the money?

thatdennis

Dec 9, 2013
Visit site
I recently sold my Surface 3, and am ordering a Surface Book. I'm just scared that it wouldn't be worth it compared to other laptops (such as the XPS 13 or the Spectre x360).

To users of the Surface Book, do you think it is worth buying? If so, what are your uses for it?

ttsoldier

Retired Ambassador
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
To some it may be worth it while to others, it may not be.

All depends on what you need the surface book for....as well as your bank account..

Maybe you just need a regular laptop...

orlbuckeye

Mar 19, 2015
Visit site
Well I purchased a Surface book and both the Spectre and XPS are very similar in specs to the Surface.

The HP and SB are in the 2 in 1 category and the screen of the SB is better and the HP has a bigger SSD (comparing same priced units). The screen is higher resolution on the SB and it comes with the pen. I also noticed the SB comes with Windows 10 PRO and HP with Home.

The Dell is an ultrabook and can't be used as a tablet. It's resolution is almost up to par with the SB but I believe the aspect ration is 16:9 just like other laptops. People that use the pen with the SB say the aspect ratio on the SB is perfect for Onenote and other apps using a pen.

I wanted a Windows tablet and I've used android and I'm disappointed with it on a tablet (Im happy with Android on my phone) . I love my SB and I thing the HP is closer to it then the Dell.

littlebib

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
I would say that it's not yet worth the money. Like with the Surface Pros, MS seems to still be working out a fair number of bugs in the system. I suspect in another month or so, it will be worth the money.

Dush Ku

Jul 4, 2013
Visit site
At this point I feel it was well worth the money just cause I can't imagine not having had it for the last month.
There's definitely no way I can go back to a lesser device now.

zerospace-net

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
I would say that the Surface Book is worth the money, as well. While the bugs definitely detract from the overall experience (I would be wholeheartedly endorsing the SB to everyone who would listen if the ugliest bugs weren't present), I don't think they take away from the overall value for me. Part of the reason you pay a premium for a device like SB is the build quality and materials -- both of which on this device, are top notch.

Yes, the internal components of the SB are on-par with the competition (i5 or i7 skylake CPUs, nvidia GPU makes it more on par with a light gaming machine than a standard laptop, RAM, SSD, etc), but that's not totally where the value is, IMHO. The value is also in the construction and features, and while Surface Book has some maturing to do (yesterday's video driver update is hopefully one of many bug fixing updates to come), it's still worth every penny I paid for it. I now have the extra power needed to do faster Photoshopping, play some "real" games with decent graphics settings, and still not need 2 devices for both work & play. The SP3 I had before SB started down that path, but was sorely missing the graphics power. Surface Book answered all my needs and does so while feeling like a truly premium device. I wouldn't want to go back now...

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes