New Book owner

astell

Feb 26, 2014
Visit site
So late last week some derp broke into my truck while I was having lunch with the boss and took my laptop bag..........had my Icon and Surface Pro 3 inside it. I had just bought the new Type Cover too (one with finger printer scanner).

Anyways, boss told me to go get new gear and I got the entry level Surface Book as it was the nearly the same model as my Surface Pro 3. Sadly, since the new 950s don't work on Verizon I had to opt for an iPhone 6S Plus......which isn't a bad phone, but I will miss my Icon's camera.

Anyways, just wanted to share my bad luck/good luck depending on how you look at it and ask for tips and tricks with the Book.

SDP123

Dec 7, 2015
Visit site
The best tip I have regarding the Surface Book: DO NOT BUY IT. It is a piece of crap. Zero quality control and very poor build. If you need your pc for work, and you buy a Surface Book, you have a good chance of losing your job. And your mind.

mcf517

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
The best tip I have regarding the Surface Book: DO NOT BUY IT. It is a piece of crap. Zero quality control and very poor build. If you need your pc for work, and you buy a Surface Book, you have a good chance of losing your job. And your mind.

Haha! I use it for work, but yeah, it's a pain. Although, I still have my job, just not my mind.

worwig

Jun 12, 2015
Visit site
IMHO:
The build quality is pretty good, despite that rant. The firmware and software was really not ready, on the release date. Most of that has been resolved. Though I believe there are still major issues with the dock, which I don't have.
I've been using mine for work and play. No real issues after the updates. In fact, it is more productive, and my office is now piling more on me. So yes, I may lose my mind because of it. :unhappysweat:

I have been looking for a laptop for literally years. My old workhorse weighed a ton. The batteries were shot. It was pretty slow and limited by a 32 bit processor. But every time I looked at a replacement, sure they would be a little better here, or a little better there. The Book is the first device in years that put together a LOT of improvements that I wanted.

I'm pretty satisfied. The premium price is a bit much, but I'll spread that out over years.

Dush Ku

Jul 4, 2013
Visit site
Be ready to run into Windows 10 quirkiness still. They are working it out.
The hardware itself is awesome, keyboard, track pad, screen, pen, etc. All top notch.

zerospace-net

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
I'll go and agree with the few folks who say the build of the SB is quite good. I have had my i5/256/dGPU model since launch day and have no complaints about the hardware. The issues are definitely software. Windows 10 is still very under-baked, though it seems to be mostly improving with each update. I still have some seriously weird stuff happening with my graphics drivers from time to time and other quirks where the OS just completely craps out. Yesterday, Windows Hello logged me in, but got stuck on the login screen with the "welcome" message and the cute spinning dots. It would not clear that screen no matter what I tried, except a reboot, of course, fixed it (as usually happens with all other issues, too.. reboot with SB seems to fix almost every bug I encounter, at least temporarily).

Overall, I'm pleased with the SB and I expect it will only improve with time. I do not regret the purchase at all, and I've been very productive with it. I've also had good luck in the past with MS and replacements for defective devices, so if there is a hardware failure, MS has always been good about taking care of that.

afcor

Feb 12, 2014
Visit site
I would give my SB pretty much an identical review. There were more than a couple bugs in the first several weeks, and most of those have been ironed out by fixes in the 6-ish weeks since launch. Otherwise, I find it to be a rather delightful machine to use, and I have no regrets about my purchase.

As for SDP123: Troll Level: meh. Keep working kid; you'll get it.

astell

Feb 26, 2014
Visit site
After having used the SB for the past week I have to say I like the device. I said like; not love. I loved my SP3 from day one, but I've ran into far more issues with the Book than I have did with the SP3. I'm rather disappointed with the QA from Microsoft on this product. Hard to recommend the Book over the SP3 (I hear people with SP4s are having a bunch of the same issues SB owners are). Hopefully these issues are resolved quickly and not left to drag out like issues with other devices (looking at my 1520's touch issue).

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss