Possibility of Surface book with bigger size in the future?

Chintan Gohel

May 23, 2014
Visit site
The surface book is quite an interesting device, well spec'd though highly priced.

For creativity I wonder if the size is really suitable? My brother is an architecture student and he struggles to work on a 14 inch screen. Surface book has a slightly smaller screen which isn't optimum.

For designers I think the 17 inch was the best size for great autocad designing and drawing. I, as an engineer, also prefer 17 inch screens.

That being said, is it possible for the surface team to release future surface books in new sizes, especially 17 inch? I really liked my old 17 inch laptop and my current 14 inch just looks so congested and limited.

orlbuckeye

Mar 19, 2015
Visit site
Well is it better to work on a 17" (res 1920 x 1080) or 13.5" (res 3000 x 2000). No I don't see it any bigger as one of the negatives is the wobble of the screen . The strength of the Surface book is it can be used as a tablet and laptop. If MS released a 17" it probably would be more of a laptop.

etphoto

Aug 15, 2007
Visit site
I agree, 17" tablet is too big. Want the kick a$$ specs of the Surface Book with a bigger screen? Just dock it attached with the screen size of your choice.

orlbuckeye

Mar 19, 2015
Visit site
The thing is the processor, storage and the computer part are in the clipboard. The keyboard has the DGP and battery. So the weight gain would by in the tablet/clipboard. I could see MS releasing a more traditional laptop before they would increase the screen size of the book. I do see them selling just the clipboard in the future where you can upgrade to an i7 from an i5 and add more storage. Although Amazon sell 256 SDXC cards starting at like 79 and increasing depending on the speed.

zerospace-net

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
The thing is the processor, storage and the computer part are in the clipboard. The keyboard has the DGP and battery. So the weight gain would by in the tablet/clipboard. I could see MS releasing a more traditional laptop before they would increase the screen size of the book. I do see them selling just the clipboard in the future where you can upgrade to an i7 from an i5 and add more storage. Although Amazon sell 256 SDXC cards starting at like 79 and increasing depending on the speed.

It would be nice to see MS offer an upgraded clipboard portion from future models that will work with our keyboard bases, but I'm sure at some point folks will want a more beefed up GPU in the base. Given that MS has made the Surface Pro type covers backwards compatible on several generations of Surface Pro (and other models), I wouldn't completely discount this possibility, but I do feel its something of a pipe dream. I'd bet more on all of us having to buy a whole new unit in the future. The good news is that these units will probably retain good resale value, so upgrading might be less costly in the future.

As far as a larger Surface Book... yeah, I don't think that's going to happen anytime soon, but I could be wrong. The clipboard part at 17" would be awkward. I could see them making a straight-up regular laptop at 17", though. Honestly, with the 3:2 ratio, the screen on this thing feels quite large to me, but if I want a bigger screen, I just dock to a large external monitor (I'm typing this while using my 27" monitor on my desk).

Migi2015

Oct 4, 2015
Visit site
No. Panos Panay believes in redefining or creating new categories. So he won't make a traditional 15" laptop to compete with the Dell XPS 15 or Macbook Pro 15".

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nathanboro12