surface book frustrations

Christopher Lindsay

May 8, 2014
Visit site
Anyone else considering returning their surface book? I have the $2700 build of the surface book but i'm just not sure about it. I really want to like it but the problems are just ridiculous. Even with all updates there's constant driver issues. Porblems with the screen flickering or completely distorting. The screen sometimes go blank. The fans kick on and the cpu spikes up to 30 percent when doing absolutely nothing. I've had to restore it already and I've had to get support from micfrosoft who suggested I restore it again to fix my issues. I've gotten serious distortion from the audio drivers and issues with program compatibiliy with programs that run fine on my other computers with the exact same windows 10 os. Blue screens and other bugs have just been a huge headache. Am I alone in the problems? Is the surface book a dud and not worth keeping? My girlfriend has a surfce pro 3 which has been great. I never thought the surface book would be this bad based off of how great hers is. What should I do?

chongsen62

Dec 5, 2015
Visit site
seems my device works perfect after 12/2 updates. And so do my friends'

Surprised, only negative reviews in the forum. Maybe we are lucky

Talldog

Mar 7, 2013
Visit site
My wife and I both have Surface Books, and neither of us have had that anywhere near that level of problems. We've had some of the common things like the display driver crashes, but every firmware and Windows update has made things better. Our machines are solid now and we're very happy with them. Maybe you should try to get yours swapped out.

Dush Ku

Jul 4, 2013
Visit site
I'm surprised how much people are putting up with. I'd have it exchanged pretty quick if that level of issues were happening.

Christopher Lindsay

May 8, 2014
Visit site
There's really just no alternatives to a device like the surface book. Its hard for me to decide if sticking it out is worth it or if I should just go back to a regular laptop.

geraldem

Jan 18, 2014
Visit site
It has gotten much better with every update. I am pretty happy, except for the battery life. This is the only thing that has not been fixed IMHO. I am only seeing about 5 hours of battery life per day..on average.

Turbo Brian

Oct 29, 2015
Visit site
i would try an exchange. i have the same model, i7/512GB and after a week the app crashes started then bsods like crazy to the point i couldnt get into windows any more. resets failed to complete, usb flash with factory image failed to complete. returned it the other night and so far the new one has been much better. no bsods yet and in fact, the battery life yesterday was great; way better than my first device. i hope this is the case a week from now which is when my first one really started to flake out but im feeling better so far.

Christopher Lindsay

May 8, 2014
Visit site
I just reset/system restored the computer and applied the update from yesterday and it seems to be somewhat less of a problem so far. We'll see how it goes from here.

orlbuckeye

Mar 19, 2015
Visit site
I basically love my Surface Book. I love the portability as I'm used to large screen laptops and not used to this kind of battery life. I'm only having one issue and that's the Windows 10 Mail app won't launch in the last week.

ctk4949

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I have 2 of the i7/16/512 and both are running well.

If yours is causing so much trouble why not exchange it for another one??

TwoZule

Dec 21, 2015
Visit site
As an owner of a small business, I have to make a decision about how much my time is worth to swap this out.
I don't really consider myself a power user.
But I do use my laptop for work.
I would guess I have about 10 to15 hrs of installing software, configuring software, writing outlook rules, setting browser to remember passwords, etc.......
If i swap it out ,from what I have read, there is a good chance it will happen again.
I don't have the time to do this again, yet again.

Bottom line it, I believe a decent support rep could fix this in about an hour.
But they have gone to cable company style support.
And yes I am pissed because I would really like to keep the machine.

My decision, that I have not made yet, comes down to :
1: take a chance and invest another 10 hrs + bringing up a new surface book.
2. Make switch now to another manufacturer that values their customers time enough to give decent support.
(As I may have to do this eventually anyway.)

Does anyone know of a way to receive escalated support to a real support person?

PS: as I type this a new bug has shown up, 2 or 3 second time delay typing in chrome.
arg!!!!

Christopher Lindsay

May 8, 2014
Visit site
As an owner of a small business, I have to make a decision about how much my time is worth to swap this out.

I don't really consider myself a power user.

But I do use my laptop for work.

I would guess I have about 10 to15 hrs of installing software, configuring software, writing outlook rules, setting browser to remember passwords, etc.......

If i swap it out ,from what I have read, there is a good chance it will happen again.

I don't have the time to do this again, yet again.

Bottom line it, I believe a decent support rep could fix this in about an hour.

But they have gone to cable company style support.

And yes I am pissed because I would really like to keep the machine.

My decision, that I have not made yet, comes down to :

1: take a chance and invest another 10 hrs + bringing up a new surface book.

2. Make switch now to another manufacturer that values their customers time enough to give decent support.

(As I may have to do this eventually anyway.)

Does anyone know of a way to receive escalated support to a real support person?

PS: as I type this a new bug has shown up, 2 or 3 second time delay typing in chrome.

arg!!!!

I used the online support. They took remote control of my surface cool and troubleshot it for about an hour and a half but could not fix my problems. You could give that a try but you may get the same thing I got.

TwoZule

Dec 21, 2015
Visit site
Yea that was done in the in the first 1 and half hour session.
The second script reader started doing all the same stuff the 1st guy had done.
That's when I stopped them and asked for a supervisor in order to possibly escalate the issue.
Sadly there is no such thing anymore.

The good news is that I tried to run the complete driver update again and it finally ran.
This got me to 7.5 hrs of battery life. Not quite the 12 hours promised but much better than 5 hrs I was getting.
I had suggested this to the script reader but they wanted to do driver updates one at a time.

The most pressing issue now is the intermittent click and double click of the track pad.
The driver was updated with no change. Works most of the time but every so often it just will not register.
It happens on many applications and in windows as well.
Anyone else have this issue?

SurfTiger

Dec 30, 2015
Visit site
i'm debating whether to keep it or return it. heck, i can pick up an xps 13, nvidia shield tablet, xbox one, and still have 400 dollars left to pocket lol

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ailanamargarett