Anyone else getting bad battery life?

geraldem

Jan 18, 2014
Visit site
Yes, that has been my average. I have tried all the fixes and I am on the slow ring for updates. Hopefully we get a fix soon that allows us to get at least 8 hours.

EnemiesInTheEnd

Nov 18, 2013
Visit site
I have the i5 without dGPU and I'm getting at least 8 hours at suggested brightness unless I'm playing a game. When word processing, I think I can hit 12 hours

spasell

Jun 11, 2014
Visit site
I am getting between 6-8 hours of use. I have the i5 with dGPU. Screen brightness is left between 50-75%. I don't do gaming. I use it for Office, Email, and when traveling, I watch movies downloaded from the store. Ironically, I get really good battery life watching movies. I watched two movies traveling from Baltimore to San Fran and after watching both, about 4 hours, screen at 100% brightness, I had 60% battery left. Not bad at all.

zerospace-net

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
I have the i5 without dGPU and I'm getting at least 8 hours at suggested brightness unless I'm playing a game. When word processing, I think I can hit 12 hours

I get about this, too (i5/dGPU). When I'm just surfing, email, working, etc and playing very lite casual games, my battery life is fine (prob around 8 hours or so). GPU intense games absolutely wreck the battery, but that's to be expected. I can kill my battery from nearly 100% down to 10% in a couple hours playing Diablo 3. I usually have to crank the screen brightness up for that game to 75%, which definitely hurts (I usually stay at 50% and sometimes 25% at night for everything else). I can get more gaming time with the brightness set lower, so that definitely seems to impact the battery life significantly.

coasterfreak212

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
You guys are lucky.

I have the i5 dGPU at 256gb and I average 5-6 hours in normal usage such as web browsing and word :( Would love to see that 12 hours pop up doing that

Hardcore1973

Dec 3, 2013
Visit site
I easily get 8 hours of real work. Watching Netflix, YouTube, Excel work, surfing the web. If I am just surfing the web I can get 10-12 hours. All with 50% brightness, Wifi, Bluetooth. i5/8/128 Base model. Oh I only use Chrome browser.

Mike Hammer1

Dec 12, 2015
Visit site
Has anyone else reset their SB and seen an increase in battery life? I don't want to go through the entire process without knowing it will improve things.

Stocklone

Jan 14, 2013
Visit site
Well I plan on doing it this weekend because my Book battery life has gone to crap. I really don't know what happened. I used to be really happy with it. I could walk around work all day with the screen detached and still have decent battery left at the end of the day. Even at brightness at 25%, the tablet will be near death by lunch. I wish I knew what I did to screw it up.

JOHNGAETANO

Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
Took my fully charged surface book i7 to a 8am meeting yesterday and used one note. At 10:30 am is was dead. Brightness 50 to 75.

Horrific experience.

Back to the store it goes.

John

Well I plan on doing it this weekend because my Book battery life has gone to crap. I really don't know what happened. I used to be really happy with it. I could walk around work all day with the screen detached and still have decent battery left at the end of the day. Even at brightness at 25%, the tablet will be near death by lunch. I wish I knew what I did to screw it up.

Daniel Rubino

Editor-in-chief
Staff member
Jan 19, 2006
Visit site
Used SB Core i7 with dGPU on a plane, 40% brightness, connected to WiFi and watched 90 minutes of video and surfed the web, used Slack, messaged for 3 hours. 65%

Traveling home from Vegas used Surface Book for just under 3 hours and has 62% battery left at about 60% brightness and WiFi on/connected.

I can easily push 9 hours without really trying. Note: I take my own advice and the Surface Book only hibernates with CS disabled.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rorymi6