Pros:
    - The Surface Book boots up very quickly
    - The detachable screen works wonderfully
    - Decent battery life when left on the dock
    - The full Windows 10 experience
    - Beautiful looking laptop
    - The pen is great and works very well

Cons:
    -Low memory warnings - Pops up every time I record footage using the Xbox app on the Surface. Limits me to about 5 mins of recording.
    - Desktop icons never stay where you place them
    - The lid does not open easily. You must use 2 hands to open the laptop.
    - Chrome tends to crash more on the Surface
    - Battery life of the screen by itself is not very good
    - The price does not really seem worth it. You can get such a better laptop for $1,500
    - Can not upgrade any parts
    - Still a lot of bugs that you do not get with other laptops.

This is a great laptop for those who do the bare basics. Maybe you use Excel or use PDF's quite often and need something to carry around or travel with for work. This laptop is great for that.
    For video recording I find this laptop to be terrible. Maybe it is because I bought the model with 8gb of RAM? But my ASUS laptop also has 8gb of RAM and I have never ran in to a "low memory" issue. And I made sure there were no background programs running. Maybe this isn't a issue with the 16gb model?

For $1,500 I would expect to have no issues with the simple tasks. I do not feel I get enough for my money. You can buy a gaming laptop for this same price.

My overall grade for this Surface Book is a 6.5/10
    Lower the price to $999 and the score jumps to an 8/10.
    Last edited by Lethal_NFS; 01-04-2016 at 08:02 AM.
    Bluerain and Rattso2005 like this.
    12-24-2015 09:46 AM
    I can't think of a single laptop that is as strong of a package at $1500 as the Surface Book is.
    rdubmu likes this.
    12-24-2015 11:24 AM
    Google chrome loaded.
    Low memory issues.

Sounds about right.
    zombie0 and rdubmu like this.
    12-24-2015 01:20 PM
    I can't think of a single laptop that is as strong of a package at $1500 as the Surface Book is.
    lol really? I found this one really quickly.

Look up on Newegg the Alienware AW15R2. It blows the Surface Book out of the water for the same price.

Price - $1,569

15.6"
    Intel Core i7 2.6Ghz
    16gb RAM
    1TB HDD
    256 SSD
    Nvidia 970M 3GB GDDR5
    Last edited by Lethal_NFS; 12-24-2015 at 02:03 PM.
    12-24-2015 01:43 PM
    If the alienware was half the weight, had a removable touchscreen with included pen for handwriting I'd agree with you
    WPmunkey, worwig, zombie0 and 2 others like this.
    12-24-2015 03:39 PM
    If the alienware was half the weight, had a removable touchscreen with included pen for handwriting I'd agree with you
    A pen and weight does not justify the price of the Surface Book. No way in hell. Microsoft overcharged badly for the hardware you are getting.
    12-24-2015 04:30 PM
    Weight absolutely does make up for the price and battery life. That alienware would be lucky to get 3 hours on battery power. So... battery life plus portability plus the dual duty of being a laptop with a functional tablet more than makes up for the price. I can use my surface book all day long at work and school and not run out of battery. There is no way that you could do that with the alienware. Cutting edge tech like the surface book demands a premium price PERIOD
    TechAbstract likes this.
    12-24-2015 06:27 PM

Look up on Newegg the Alienware AW15R2. It blows the Surface Book out of the water for the same price.

Price - $1,569

15.6"
    Intel Core i7 2.6Ghz
    16gb RAM
    1TB HDD
    256 SSD
    Nvidia 970M 3GB GDDR5
    It's $1300, I bought mine for that much, same exact specs. It actually could last 6-7 hours, 3 hours more than my returned Surface Book.
    12-24-2015 07:56 PM
    Weight absolutely does make up for the price and battery life. That alienware would be lucky to get 3 hours on battery power. So... battery life plus portability plus the dual duty of being a laptop with a functional tablet more than makes up for the price. I can use my surface book all day long at work and school and not run out of battery. There is no way that you could do that with the alienware. Cutting edge tech like the surface book demands a premium price PERIOD
    Completely disagree. Weaker cpu, lack of gpu, and less HDD space. The cost does not justify what you get with the Surface Book. There is no reason why Microsoft could not add an i7 cpu and gpu to all the $1499 models. No excuses.
    12-24-2015 08:09 PM
    Microsoft overcharged the public PERIOD. A premium device? Damn my surface book had so much bugs out of the box I loathed every second of my time with that guy. The alienware (that actually has 6-7 hours battery life) works perfectly right out of the box with no bugs.

Cutting edge tech? Welp if crappy battery life, loud always on fans, and a laptop with a gap is cutting edge tech, then I don't want to see cutting edge tech.

3 hours battery life on a tablet is premium? Ah then I also don't want premium.

I did do a full day with my alienware for school without a hitch other than its weight, not with the Surface Book (died after 3 classes, also ruined my chocolate in my bag).

Note this is coming from a Microsoft fan, who usually defends and advocates the Surface line.

I can't simply see how great the Surface Book is after false promises from panay, a bad product that the team had to issue an apology for, and bugs that will be fixed months after the product launch, months.

I know no product is perfect, and I'm a realist about that, but this "premium device" is not premium at all and far far from perfect, let alone it shouldn't have been launched.
    12-24-2015 08:11 PM
    A different category of machine
    worwig likes this.
    12-24-2015 11:36 PM

Price - $1,569

15.6"
    Intel Core i7 2.6Ghz
    16gb RAM
    1TB HDD
    256 SSD
    Nvidia 970M 3GB GDDR5
    It's also larger and double the weight, only a 1080p screen, has half the battery life, no Windows Hello, and no pen support. It's more powerful, but that doesn't mean anything.
    12-25-2015 02:23 PM
    For whatever reason, I am always at the upgrade cycle when Microsoft is introducing a new 1st gen device.

I have a first gen Surface Pro, Microsoft Band, and now Surface Book. I was fully expecting to upgrade to the Surface Pro 4 and was just waiting for it to be announced when Microsoft blew everyone away with the Surface Book. I agonized over the choice and the price, but after I started to read about how folks problems went away with the newer drivers, I decided to bite the bullet. After all, my experience with the first gen pro has been a good one. It's pretty long in the tooth now, and I have been really starting to need to incorporate video into my workflow, so I closed my eyes to the really expensive price tag and got the $2099 model with the GPU, 256gb SSD and 8gb ram. I also got the surface dock. With tax I dropped $2500 at the store.

What I have, after 5 days, is heartache, and a lot of these: wp_20151224_21_52_05_pro.jpg

It's really undependable. It's BSOD'd me 5 times in the last 36 hours. It randomly stops responding to keyboard commands in Photoshop and Illustrator, doesn't find printers I can find with my 5 year old HP running Windows 10, and keeps losing sync with my one drive folders. It's constantly dropping my Wi-Fi connection. My external hard drives, connected through the surface dock, pop on and off randomly. And the video I was so excited to start working on? Not capable. At all. I brought in one 3 minute clip and it dropped almost 2,000 frames the first time I ran the sequence. And it crashed out of Premiere Pro several times.

I went back and watched Panos Panay render in real time with no frame drops, (1:23:45 in the Product Launch event stream) and I have to wonder if I am holding the same piece of equipment. Don't get me wrong. It's a beautifully crafted device. It's lightweight, well-built, and the screen is amazing. But it struggles to run a half-dozen tabs of Edge browser without problems.

Cortana is also less reliable than ever, so it could be that the version of W10 shipping on the book is less reliable than the current fast ring build I am used to on my HP. But that's the operating system it's shipping with, and if it wasn't ready they should not have shipped the product. My daughter recently switched to a MacBook Pro and she loved it. I want to be able to tell her that Microsoft has answered with a great product of their own, but at this point this product is not even an Acer killer. It's too unreliable to count on, and that's a sad thing to say after all the coin I dropped on it.

I think I am going to head back to the Microsoft store and swap it for another Book. Or just return it, and get an XPS 15 (It's a DELL, I know). I just don't know what to do atm, to be quite honest. But I could not be more disappointed, and all I can do at this point is to advise anyone to stay away from this product, at least until these problems are resolved. Judging from my experience, it could be a while.
    12-25-2015 05:52 PM
    For whatever reason, I am always at the upgrade cycle when Microsoft is introducing a new 1st gen device.

I have a first gen Surface Pro, Microsoft Band, and now Surface Book. I was fully expecting to upgrade to the Surface Pro 4 and was just waiting for it to be announced when Microsoft blew everyone away with the Surface Book. I agonized over the choice and the price, but after I started to read about how folks problems went away with the newer drivers, I decided to bite the bullet. After all, my experience with the first gen pro has been a good one. It's pretty long in the tooth now, and I have been really starting to need to incorporate video into my workflow, so I closed my eyes to the really expensive price tag and got the $2099 model with the GPU, 256gb SSD and 8gb ram. I also got the surface dock. With tax I dropped $2500 at the store.

What I have, after 5 days, is heartache, and a lot of these: Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WP_20151224_21_52_05_Pro.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	276.4 KB 
ID:	119472

It's really undependable. It's BSOD'd me 5 times in the last 36 hours. It randomly stops responding to keyboard commands in Photoshop and Illustrator, doesn't find printers I can find with my 5 year old HP running Windows 10, and keeps losing sync with my one drive folders. It's constantly dropping my Wi-Fi connection. My external hard drives, connected through the surface dock, pop on and off randomly. And the video I was so excited to start working on? Not capable. At all. I brought in one 3 minute clip and it dropped almost 2,000 frames the first time I ran the sequence. And it crashed out of Premiere Pro several times.

I went back and watched Panos Panay render in real time with no frame drops, (1:23:45 in the Product Launch event stream) and I have to wonder if I am holding the same piece of equipment. Don't get me wrong. It's a beautifully crafted device. It's lightweight, well-built, and the screen is amazing. But it struggles to run a half-dozen tabs of Edge browser without problems.

Cortana is also less reliable than ever, so it could be that the version of W10 shipping on the book is less reliable than the current fast ring build I am used to on my HP. But that's the operating system it's shipping with, and if it wasn't ready they should not have shipped the product. My daughter recently switched to a MacBook Pro and she loved it. I want to be able to tell her that Microsoft has answered with a great product of their own, but at this point this product is not even an Acer killer. It's too unreliable to count on, and that's a sad thing to say after all the coin I dropped on it.

I think I am going to head back to the Microsoft store and swap it for another Book. Or just return it, and get an XPS 15 (It's a DELL, I know). I just don't know what to do atm, to be quite honest. But I could not be more disappointed, and all I can do at this point is to advise anyone to stay away from this product, at least until these problems are resolved. Judging from my experience, it could be a while.
    Swap it for a new Surface Book. That's not normal.
    SlowPokeInTexas likes this.
    12-25-2015 09:12 PM
    I love my Surface Book but I am now leaning more and more towards the Dell XPS 15. $2,299 at Bestbuy.com. Quad Core i7/1TB/16GB RAM/4k Video. Looks like a beast. Only reason I am going this directions is that now 95% of my job will be with my laptop where before it was only 5% so I just liked the fun of the tablet experience. Now I need a full blown beast to do everything from video and photo editing, web development, and need tons of storage.
    For the $1500 I think the Surface Book is an excellent product and Microsoft got it right the first time.
    12-25-2015 10:17 PM
    Agreed. I probably would have done that already if it wasn't for Christmas and the 10-15 hours I already spent copying files and installing apps. I am headed to the Microsoft store today. I will keep this thread posted with my results.

As an aside, I tried posting this from my surface book, and couldn't even type the post without delays, so I switched to my 5 year old HP running build 11082, which seems less buggy. Undoubtedly, some of my problem was how poorly Windows Central performs with the Edge browser - but that's a problem for another day.
    12-26-2015 10:44 AM
    It's also larger and double the weight, only a 1080p screen, has half the battery life, no Windows Hello, and no pen support. It's more powerful, but that doesn't mean anything.
    That was just one laptop of the many I could have posted though. The hardware in the Surface Book does not justify the price. Surface Book has more bugs, inferior hardware, and inability to upgrade anything internally.

If the $1,499 model came with a real gpu like the other models, then I would probably be a little happier with the price. But this quite bare bones for the price.
    12-26-2015 11:40 AM
    That was just one laptop of the many I could have posted though. The hardware in the Surface Book does not justify the price. Surface Book has more bugs, inferior hardware, and inability to upgrade anything internally.

If the $1,499 model came with a real gpu like the other models, then I would probably be a little happier with the price. But this quite bare bones for the price.
    There aren't any better packages. Show me some of these supposedly better laptops for the price and I'll show you laptops with bad keyboards, mediocre battery life, mediocre displays or lower resolution displays, bad keyboards/track pads, worse specs, higher weight, missing features, etc.
    rdubmu likes this.
    12-26-2015 01:12 PM
    There aren't any better packages. Show me some of these supposedly better laptops for the price and I'll show you laptops with bad keyboards, mediocre battery life, mediocre displays or lower resolution displays, bad keyboards/track pads, worse specs, higher weight, missing features, etc.
    You are trying to tell me the Surface Book is the best laptop on the market and no matter what I show you, you will tell me why the Surface Book is better.

I will pass on that one as I know what a good product is on my own. I know what hardware costs, and I know when something is overpriced. I can show you right now a laptop that is buggy as hell, lacks the ability to upgrade, missing the number pad, and crashes frequently. Hint.....it is the Surface Book.

I am happy for you that you feel like it is money well spent. I know better, and I know this is not worth this price tag. And I am clearly not alone on this one. This is why I made this thread. So I can help people from making an expensive mistake if they are looking for something more than what the Surface Book can offer.
    Last edited by Laura Knotek; 12-26-2015 at 07:14 PM.
    12-26-2015 05:08 PM
    Lethal, it is hard to take you seriously when you ignore many of the Book's features for the sake of making your point. The Book wasn't designed to be a gaming laptop and Microsoft hasn't marketed it as one, yet you are comparing it to one.

For my purposes, the Book is one of the best options on the market - one of the others being the SP4 (and SP3). Does that mean it is right for everyone? No.

I'm not even going to get into the fact that some of your cons aren't problems specific to the Surface Book. This thread just reads as you trying to appear as a neutral party giving a unbias pro/con of the Book, but fails at doing so. It is clear you don't like the device. Nothing wrong with that. Just don't pretend to be unbias - you're not very good at it.
    12-26-2015 09:15 PM
    Went to the Microsoft store yesterday and a technician pulled all my BSOD dump files and said it was the NVidia GPU driver, which he confirmed was the correct one. He removed the driver and downloaded the driver installation package directly from the Microsoft website and said I would be fine. I am not a newbie to these things, so I am a bit dubious as to how this will solve wifi connection issues, etc., but we left it that if it BSODs again I should come in and swap it out. He explained to me that he was saving me the time and effort I had already invested in installing updates, the W10 November update, etc and all my files, one drive and application installations.

Just for laughs, I asked him what he thought about my original choice between the Dell XPS 15 with the 16gb ram configuration and the Surface Book and he said he always likes the bigger screen real estate but that was a far as he would go.
    12-27-2015 07:37 AM
    I think it's a bit of an overreach to say that Surface Book is a value play. Clearly there are other choices with better specs for the same price. But some things are more about tradeoffs between what's right for the individual user. For example, LG is about to announce a 15.6" laptop that weighs less than 2.2 pounds. Does that mean that the 50% heavier 13.3" Surface book is too heavy? Not at all, any more than that the LG doesn't come with the Surface Pen, or only has 7.5 hours of battery life.

The Dell XPS 15 with 16gb of RAM has a larger display with Quad HD, more storage, a better graphics card and is about $200 less than the $2099 Surface Book I purchased. If I don't end up being satisfied with Surface Book, that's the direction I am headed. I suspect that's a choice that a lot of potential Surface Book owners are considering.

At the end of the day, you are buying the Surface Book at a premium to other devices and not simply for the specs. The bargain is that because the hardware and OS are both designed by the same company you are paying for it to just work... flawlessly... magically... dependably.

That's why to me if it isn't perfect out of the box, Microsoft didn't perform. Better to wait until it could be than to taint the user experience. You can feel sympathy for Microsoft, having to deal with delays in Skylake production and being left with a choice between missing the holiday cycle or shipping before the software was ready. But they didn't protect their brand. They built a dream device, but influencers like the folks on this board are frustrated because they can't recommend this product to their friends who are ready to upgrade.

At least I personally can't recommend the Surface Book... yet. And certainly not for folks that don't have a Microsoft store nearby. That said, I certainly hope to do so in the not-to-distant future.

The good news is that for the first time in a long, long time, the PC world has high end devices with great build quality to choose from.

Now they just have to get this Windows 10 dialed in and build a Surface phone that can run the full version of W10 (and support CDMA and GSM across a full spectrum of frequencies). Hopefully they get it done before my aging Nokia Icon gives up the ghost.
    12-27-2015 08:28 AM
    Lethal, it is hard to take you seriously when you ignore many of the Book's features for the sake of making your point. The Book wasn't designed to be a gaming laptop and Microsoft hasn't marketed it as one, yet you are comparing it to one.
    Hard to take me seriously? I could not be more serious when listing my Pros vs Cons.

Sure the Surface Book has a few nice features. Removing the screen, and the pen. But those do not justify the price and the bugs this laptop comes with. The mere fact that you can buy a gaming laptop for the same price, shows how overpriced this laptop really is. It lacks many standard options. You not upgrade the hard drive or RAM either.

I am clearly a different user than you so you have no right telling me I am wrong. This may be the right product for you, but it is not for me. And I have every right to explain this to people wanting to know if this is the right purchase for them.

And do not tell me I am being bias. I am still using the Surface Book right now. You seem to be unable to accept the fact that I am not happy with the Surface Book. You are saying I must be bias to have this opinion. Heaven forbid I do not like the Surface Book and the price it came with.

There are just so many better laptops for $1,500 out there. Only difference is that you cant pop their screens off..
    12-27-2015 09:26 AM
    In fact, I'm looking for that $1,500-$2,000 ultrabook which has:
    -12-14' 2K 3:2 screen with good enough color gamut for editting photos cause I edit photos, a lot.
    -Not heavy cause I hate carrying current heavy laptop everywhere
    -Touch screen cause that's how I use all portable devices right now
    -Include stylus cause I like drawing and take note
    -Support dGPU and has ability to play some recent games with playable settings cause, of course, sometime you need entertainment on the go.
    -Support windows hello cause that's awesome to have
    -Detachable screen then turn around and rettach to dock cause I can take the lightest part to any meeting (which won't ever last longer than 2 hours in my case)
    -Kinda good battery life cause my current laptop has worst battery life ever, and I want to change it
    -Great keyboard and touchpad but not macbook cause I don't like Apple and I type a lot.

Now all of above criterias are critical and I want all of it on my next device. What can you suggest? Don't tell me to buy multiple devices instead of one, ok? I read about the XPS13 but it has no dGPU, no stylus, no detachable screen. I also read about the Sony Vaio CZ, it's the closest devices to surface book (even though still doesn't have dGPU) but it's way over my budget. And yes, I also read about the latest ultrabook with dGPU from Lenovo but still doesn't fulfil all above criteria, not to mention I don't like the idea of facing the keyboard down. The XPS15, in the other hand, is a beast with light weight, touch screen and small form, but it doesn't have detachable screen and stylus.

IMO, if you've missed one of any above criterias, then the surface book wasn't for you from the beginning. Missing one of above features and yes, you better get something else. But to get all of those features in one piece then I don't think there's any other options in market right now. You're right with your taste, but EnemiesInTheEnd still stand corrected.

P.S: But seriously, since I'm a normal person. I already ordered a surface book i5 256GB dGPU and it's currently in my sister's hand until next year when she come to visit me. Although she said it works perfectly fine, but with all remained bugs. I'm kinda scared of it :)) So if you have any suggestion, please let me know so I can ask her to return it back.
    Last edited by Dratwister; 12-27-2015 at 12:14 PM.
    12-27-2015 09:59 AM
    You are trying to tell me the Surface Book is the best laptop on the market and no matter what I show you, you will tell me why the Surface Book is better.

I will pass on that one as I know what a good product is on my own. I know what hardware costs, and I know when something is overpriced. I can show you right now a laptop that is buggy as hell, lacks the ability to upgrade, missing the number pad, and crashes frequently. Hint.....it is the Surface Book.

I am happy for you that you feel like it is money well spent. I know better, and I know this is not worth this price tag. And I am clearly not alone on this one. This is why I made this thread. So I can help people from making an expensive mistake if they are looking for something more than what the Surface Book can offer.
    I'm saying the Surface Book is the best combination of features of all laptops the same price or lower. You also don't seem to understand that it costs more for manufacturers to make powerful laptops in a small package than it does for them to make the same thing in a larger package.
    12-27-2015 02:59 PM
45 12