Surface Book dGPU w/ USB Monitor crashing

hildey

Feb 5, 2016
Visit site
Hi all, I've tried searching around for an exact answer to this but haven't been able to find one describing this, so hopefully someone here with USB monitor experience may be able to help.

I've had my SB for almost 3 months now, and just recently purchased a Asus MB169B+ USB monitor for extra, portable space while coding. However when the monitor is connected to the SB it either remains in standby or connects and functions normally for up to 30 seconds before the picture freezes indefinitely. Before freezing, the display usually flashes on/off once or twice and the connect/disconnect device sounds 4-6 times, leading me to believe it is a problem with the dGPU. The other possibility is that it could be a power supply problem, but I would think this would instead cause the monitor to power off rather than simply freeze and I have ordered a Y split cable to see if I may be able to plug one end into an external power supply and the other into the SB (will be here on Monday). Also, when looking at device manager the monitor is recognized as normal both before and after freezing and I have had no problems connecting to external monitors via a display port to HDMI or DVI adapter.

My SB is fully updated and the dGPU is updated to 12/3/15 (which I believe is the most recent) and I have installed/updated all necessary drivers from Asus and DisplayLink and have even tried installing them and testing functionality with different combinations from each. I have also tried playing with the Nvidia GPU settings to prefer the integrated vs dGPU which hasn't helped. I can also confirm that the monitor works on both an Intel NUC w/ windows 10 and a Macbook.

Would this be related to the dock problems? Any thoughts or advice on how to fix it would be awesome, thanks!

tdf2001

Nov 14, 2015
Visit site
I had purchased a USD to DisplayPort adapter to see if I could get around some of the dual monitor dock issues I had been experiencing. I was never able to get a picture via the monitor that was connected to the adapter at the same time when the Surface Book was connected to the dock. If I recall correctly, the adapter did work properly when the dock was disconnected. I am not 100% on that as I did not care for this use case and returned the adapter.

TChrist

Jun 10, 2014
Visit site
I have the exact same monitor and use it with my Surface Pro 3. Try using the Y cable and see if that helps. I use a Y cable with an external battery to power on the road as I'm not ever plugged in. I would love to hear that you don't need this option as it's the one answer I haven't found out yet. I would like to use this monitor without the Y cable and its one of the reasons I haven't switched to SP4 or Surface Book yet as I don't know if it'll power the monitor by itself.

Also, check the cord. The USB 3.0 micro-B cable that it uses fits extremely loosely. What happens if you unplug it and plug it back in at the monitor making sure its in as far as it'll go? I've noticed with mine that the weight of the cord will actually pull it out very slightly at an angle. It's enough for the monitor to lose connection.

Please let me know what solution ends up working as I may use your info to buy, or not to buy, a new Surface.

Samuelmoxham

Mar 1, 2016
Visit site
I bought the same USB monitor and had the exact same problem with my surface book.

The monitor works perfectly with my old computer (that the surface book replaced), and my partners laptop, so I've been persisting with problem solving with the surface book.

I'm not sure what drivers you are using, I didn't install anything from the disc, and the plug and play driver is DisplayLinkUserAgent.exe

Today from control panel I went to the NVIDIA Control panel and changed the settings for DisplayLinkUserAgent.exe to use High-performance NVIDIA processor instead of the default Intergrated graphics, and it's been working fine since.

Hope this helps, because mine is working fine. Please let me know.

xenokira

Apr 24, 2016
Visit site
Hey OP, did you ever get this working? I ended up picking up the same USB monitor (MB169B+) to use with my Surface Book, only to discover the very same problems you've described. Curious if you ended up successful somehow or if you gave up.

Mike Skerman

May 7, 2016
Visit site
I have a SB512 and the same issues. Have tried lots of driver changes .etc. All to no avail. I also tried the NVIDIA control panel settings mentioned by another poster - no good. I wonder if it is still working for that poster, or was it only a temporary fix?
My MB169B+ works for a short time - 30sec to 2min before freezing. once frozen, the only remedy is to unplug and replug, but then the cycle repeats. Have tried the MB169B+ on multiple other machines and it works fine. Have also purchased a USB3 Y lead for adding external power - does not help.
With my home setup, I use a surface dock and a Dell D3100 to drive 3 x 41" 4K monitors - this all works fine.
I suspect there is is some conflict with the SB or Dock drivers.

I have basically given up after many hours trying.
If someone could confirm they have a SB working with an MB169B+, it would give me the drive to push on and get it working myself.

denstren

May 8, 2016
Visit site
I have the same problem with the surface book and the mb168B+.
I have found two workarounds.

1. Use a usb 2 cable. Not sure why this works, but it does. And I could not see any noticeable difference versus usb 3.
2. The other thing that worked was a powered usb hub. And did not need a Y cable.

xenokira

Apr 24, 2016
Visit site
I have the same problem with the surface book and the mb168B+.
I have found two workarounds.

1. Use a usb 2 cable. Not sure why this works, but it does. And I could not see any noticeable difference versus usb 3.
2. The other thing that worked was a powered usb hub. And did not need a Y cable.

Wow, I USB 2.0 cable really does work! Thank you so much for following up!!!

mcx7

Jun 6, 2016
Visit site
Wow, I USB 2.0 cable really does work! Thank you so much for following up!!!

I just bought the same monitor and can not get it work with my surface book. It works fine with my surface pro 4 but no luck with book.

Researched and tried most possible suggestions - install reinstall drivers, change nvidia settings, plug/unplug/uninstall/install/reboot cycles.

I want to try the USB 2.0 cable mentioned here but not sure which cable to buy. One end of the supplied cable seems proprietary with split micro usb type connectors.

Are you saying there is a USB 2.0 equivalent version of the supplied cable? If yes, can you direct me to the right one? I am sure Amazon will have it,

Thank you for the help.

mcx7

Jun 6, 2016
Visit site
Thanks but the monitor does not have a USB interface to plugin USB 2.0 Cable. It just has the split micro USB looking interface and I can't find a USB 2.0 cable with standard USB on one end and micro-split USB on another. Only such cables available are USB 3.0 just like the one supplied with the monitor.

KilKev

Jun 8, 2016
Visit site
Hey what they are talking about is using a standard usb 2.0 cord with a micro usb connection on one side and a standard usb on the other (both male). Plug the micro usb into the top part of the connection to the monitor (it can only go the top it won't fit into the bottom). I just did it and it worked so far.
Hope this helps

mcx7

Jun 6, 2016
Visit site
Awesome. That worked. Writing this message on the new monitor. So much for USB 3.0 split-usb and what not, a simple old school USB 2.0 sitting around for my nexus did the trick. Thank you everyone, especially denstren for figuring the hack and KilKev, Arsenic for pointing me in the right direction. Much appreciated.

Riaa

Jul 11, 2016
Visit site
Hey I just got it and I wish I did my research...

Does anyone know if it works when the laptop is on battery?

Thank you.

Tyler C1

Mar 30, 2014
Visit site
I use this monitor with my Surface Pro 3. I use a Y cable. Plug one end into your computer and the other end of the Y in to a portable battery. I use the same one I use to charge my phone on the go. Neither the SP3 or the Book have a full powered USB port.

van_mierlo

Dec 5, 2012
Visit site
I had many issues trying this with my Surface Book as well. I have the Asus MB169B+ monitor for travel and somehow it always found it and lost it immediately. But I believe it has to do with the USB port on the Surface Book as well. I downloaded the latest drivers from the display link website here.

It still didn't work however but when I just tried to put a USB 3.0 powered by USB hub in between and it works flawlessly. I use this Anker version

troygates

Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
Have the same monitor from ASUS and have never gotten it working until now. I got it because I travel a lot and want dual monitors for hotel rooms and conference rooms.

I tried using my USB micro cable from my Android phone and it worked just fine. Thinking the USB 3 cable pulls to much power whereas the micro USB cable doesn't.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vascro