Surface Book and Surface Dock Combo = BEAST Mode

Hardcore1973

Dec 3, 2013
Visit site
Still using my Surface Book and it's a beast! The surface dock is a must have for business users. It is the greatest dock ever. Just plug the magnet charger in and I have an extra monitor, speakers, external usb drive, usb wireless mouse, and thumb drive!

When I leave for day I just unplug the magnet and walk away, done!

mcf517

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
it's been working really well lately. I've been able to detach and reattach the dock and screen, in different situations and, for the most part, it does what it's supposed to do. I still had a crash or loss of multi-display a couple of times, but those are pretty rare now. It was horrible at launch, and I'm glad they've fixed a lot of the issues. I'm still hesitant to change the configuration to fast, since the windows device manager needs a few seconds or so to reconfigure itself. If I need to do a screen flip and disconnect form the dock, I'll do them a few seconds apart and wait for the sounds prompts.

I have a second display, printer, keyboard, game controller, ethernet, and dvd drive on my dock.

savagelizards

Feb 7, 2014
Visit site
I agree that the dock performance has improved greatly. The one issue I have is with my docked external USB hard drives. They frequently pop in and out with the message that the last USB device I connected has malfunctioned. Once that issue gets resolved the dock will be a must have for the power user.

Hardcore1973

Dec 3, 2013
Visit site
Do you have the power management feature disabled for USB devices? Sometimes that will do that to external drives. I have an external USB drive and it does not do that...

lewinr

Dec 11, 2015
Visit site
I agree that the dock performance has improved greatly. The one issue I have is with my docked external USB hard drives. They frequently pop in and out with the message that the last USB device I connected has malfunctioned. Once that issue gets resolved the dock will be a must have for the power user.

Sounds similar to the issue I have with my dock and Lync phone. The only way I can use it reliably is to connect it directly to one the SB's USB ports instead of the docking station.

savagelizards

Feb 7, 2014
Visit site
Sounds similar to the issue I have with my dock and Lync phone. The only way I can use it reliably is to connect it directly to one the SB's USB ports instead of the docking station.

I have one external drive I travel with, and on the road or at home I am generally fine with a connection directly to the surface book.

When I use a dock in the office, however, the drives "bounce" in and out of connection. I already went into device manager, identified the USB hub associated with the surface dock and disabled power management, but that did not help.

pavvento

Jan 6, 2012
Visit site
I've been using the dock for about a month and love it. The other day was amazing though, I was conducting an over the phone interview and had the SB detached, but plugged in to the dock. The magnet was weak but stayed in place, and I was able to have all the materials on the monitor and comfortably hand write notes on the clipboard.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos