Hinge question

Danno

Feb 11, 2016
Visit site
My question to everyone, is there a way to lock the hinge in place while having the monitor attached? I Know when you detach it will freeze in place.

zerospace-net

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
Lock the hinge in place? I don't know about anyone else, but I'm not sure I fully understand your question. It doesn't "freeze in place" when the screen is detached, there simply isn't any leverage (provided by the screen) to really move it (and why would you want to?). There is no locking mechanism on the hinge at all, unless I've missed something in the months that I've owned a Surface Book. The only thing there is is a magnet to hold the unit closed with the screen attached.

savagelizards

Feb 7, 2014
Visit site
Mine does not 'freeze in place' with the screen detached.

I think I know what the OP means. When I detach the screen, the hinge is locked in place at full extension. There's no way to "fold" it closed until I am ready to attach the screen again. I notice this on business trips, since my case fits the SB exactly when closed. When I am on a flight and the plane is about to take off, I pop the screen off to use in clipboard more (since laptops are not allowed but tablets are during takeoff and landings. Unfortunately, the base won't fit back into my case because the hinge is "frozen" at full extension. Small problem, but I wish it could be folded.

worwig

Jun 12, 2015
Visit site
It still can be folded/bent in or out. It just requires more effort because you don't have the long lever attached to it any longer.
Unhook the clipboard. Put your thumbs on the left AND right metal posts. Fold it to wherever you wish.

Danno

Feb 11, 2016
Visit site
Okay, I will rephrase my inquiry. When you detach the keyboard from the display the hinge becomes ridged. If you had the display attached to the keyboard is it possible to make it ridged to allow an easel like posture without wobble? I hope that is better.

zerospace-net

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
You could bend the screen down toward you before pressing the release button.

This. In fact, I have done exactly this so that the hinge is in the position I want before detaching the screen. You just have to still be able to reach the detach button on the keyboard.

Mikegriffin84

Oct 29, 2015
Visit site
NO there is not. But you could try putting the surface in the tent configuration. The tent config requires flipping the screen around and then standing the device up in a triangle position.

ajj3085

Aug 29, 2013
Visit site
NO there is not. But you could try putting the surface in the tent configuration. The tent config requires flipping the screen around and then standing the device up in a triangle position.

I wonder if flipping the screen around then folding it closed again counts as a tablet when you're on the plane.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ailanamargarett