New wrinkle with sleep/hibernate

zerospace-net

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
So I've said in other threads that I disabled sleep on my Surface Book. That isn't 100% true, but what happened with my machine last night falls into the realm of completely bizarre -- and it relates directly to sleep, hibernate and Windows 10 -- and the fact that everyone and their mother on the internet keeps saying that MS has solved the power management problems with the Surface Book, something I would like to call **** on after what my Surface Book did last night.

My power settings were for the machine to hibernate under all circumstances (power button, 2 hours idle, etc) except one: closing the lid. I'd left this alone just in case I wanted to close my SB for a moment while using it, for transportation purposes (you know... walking from one room to another & such).

Yesterday evening, I was surfing the web on my Surface Book prior to setting it down for the night. I did my usual routine since switching to hibernation -- press the power button and then close the lid. I made sure the screen was off before closing the lid. A couple of hours later, I plugged the machine in for the night and went to bed (I do not wake it when I do this, I just carry it to its charging spot, plug it in and then walk away).

When I woke the machine this morning -- a process that consists of unplugging it, putting away the charging brick, wandering into my kitchen to make coffee and then returning to my table, opening the book and pressing the power button. I watched the Surface logo come up on the screen, the short spinning dots cycle and .... then the camera light came on. That's when I really realized something was off -- the camera for Windows Hello has NEVER worked after hibernation/charging. At least not since the 2/17 update. But it worked. Windows Hello logged me in. I was dumbfounded. But what I actually noticed first was that when I unplugged the machine, the charging brick was warm. It is never warm in the morning. And the Surface Book itself was very warm -- both the keyboard AND the clipboard were warm. My first thought was that it was still charging (odd, but possible explanation for the heat in both areas). Anyways, a quick look at the event logs showed the most peculiar thing -- the Surface Book was "awake" all night long -- as in, it never really went into hibernation at all, this despite windows booting as though it had (if the machine was simply asleep, it should have never popped up the Surface logo and the spinning dots, but it DID). It acted as though it was coming out of hibernation, but it clearly never fully powered down, as my event logs should have been empty for the night. But they weren't.

This is, hands down, the most bizarre thing the Surface Book has done to me yet. I have no explanation for it, either. I don't know why it never entered a true hibernation state, and I can't explain why it booted as though it had been hibernating, but Windows was clearly running all night long.

Has anyone else seen anything like this? I'm utterly baffled and about ready to re-load windows from a downloaded recovery image from Microsoft to see if that will make any difference at all.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss