Hey,

Ive got the new rise of the tomb raider game that Microsoft displayed the surface book playing at launch.

all I can say is the FPS are shockingly low so bad that its virtually unplayable at 720p low graphics settings I'm getting around 12fps, I can run alien isolation at 1080p high graphics settings with 35-40fps and the graphics are gorgeous so good you would think surface book was a gaming machine.

has any one else managed to get ROTR running smoothly with decent graphics? I cant believe that the two games visually are so different in performance.

cheers for any input,

Jay
    03-11-2016 10:26 PM
    Depend on your specs though. I'm also playing it and my spec is i5 d/GPU.
    Here are my settings:

Usually I got around 25-30 FPS with these settings. And that's playable in my perspective.

P.S: The game's just updated with Dx12 supported. Tried to turn it on but the FPS drastically dropped, I guess the feature's still unfinished.
    03-11-2016 11:45 PM
    Depend on your specs though. I'm also playing it and my spec is i5 d/GPU.

Usually I got around 25-30 FPS with these settings. And that's playable in my perspective.

P.S: The game's just updated with Dx12 supported. Tried to turn it on but the FPS drastically dropped, I guess the feature's still unfinished.
    I have changed my settings so that they are exactly the same as yours and the most fps I seem to manage is on average around 20fps, on the soviet level the fps drops to around 15/16 at some parts. do you experience sudden drops? especially at the very beginning of a level.

out of curiosity where did your fps figures that you gave come from? gameplay/level/benchmark etc.

I'm also using direct x 11.

cheers,

Jay
    03-12-2016 10:02 AM
    Soviet installation and the place that I'm curently on (forgot the name) are known for stuttering bug. I had stuttering sometimes in these places too, but just at some specific area, not entire map.
    The FPS That I got is from the built in FPS counter of Steam, enable it from in-game setting of steam overlay tool
    03-12-2016 12:12 PM
    yeah its steams fps counter that I'm using. I have same surface book as you i5/dgpu and I'm averaging 16-20fps with exactly the same settings as you.

its not the laptop because it plays other games perfectly so I'm pretty stumped how your getting 25-30 fps??
    03-12-2016 02:27 PM
    Beat me to it. The only thing beside settings inside the game is that I also set the machine to prefer maximum performance while playing the game in Nvidia Control Panel

I also installed the Gefore Experience tool in case you want to know. But yah,I didn't use the setting from that tool for this game.
    03-12-2016 03:01 PM
    Wasn't it Gears of War that they showed in that launch event? Much older game.
    03-12-2016 05:04 PM
    Beat me to it. The only thing beside settings inside the game is that I also set the machine to prefer maximum performance while playing the game in Nvidia Control Panel

I also installed the Gefore Experience tool in case you want to know. But yah,I didn't use the setting from that tool for this game.
    I forgot to mention lol I also have the exact setup, the first thing I did when I got SB was set the machine to prefer maximum performance for games and installed gforce experience but do not use.

so still in same sitch really.......
    03-13-2016 04:32 AM
    Wasn't it Gears of War that they showed in that launch event? Much older game.
    I was sure it was ROTR however your post made me pull up the launch vid on youtube,....and you are right! its GOW. my mistake.

still DRATWISTER is getting 25-30 FPS with the same setup so still just as valid.

good spot dude
    03-13-2016 04:34 AM
    So I managed to play the game in window mode and screenshot it (Steam FPS counter is not captured using the built in screenshot)
    03-13-2016 08:49 AM
    crazy dude, honestly cant fathom why I'm not getting same fps as you, by copying your settings its greatly improved fps but I'm not seein 25+ more like 16-20 tops. maybe once ive got past the soviet level things will improve. but consistently so far through the game its been 16-20.
    03-14-2016 07:35 PM