Surface Pro 7 deal! Save big at Amazon right now

04-17-2018 08:52 PM
68 123
tools
    I think it's playable but I definitely will play it again on my desktop lol.
    05-17-2016 05:59 PM
    Well just got a driver update from the nvidia update (the one mentioned in the 'how to run doom on your surfacebook' article). It seems to have fixed a lot of the scaling issues I had with games. Games I couldn't run in full screen are running in full screen now perfectly fine.
    05-24-2016 01:28 PM
    Well just got a driver update from the nvidia update (the one mentioned in the 'how to run doom on your surfacebook' article). It seems to have fixed a lot of the scaling issues I had with games. Games I couldn't run in full screen are running in full screen now perfectly fine.
    What is the date on your driver & version? I got an update too, but my updates list says it failed to install.
    05-24-2016 06:42 PM
    What is the date on your driver & version? I got an update too, but my updates list says it failed to install.
    I got update 365.19
    05-25-2016 03:49 AM
    I got update 365.19
    I presume you have the GeForce Experience installed, then? I meant the update from nvidia that came through windows update.
    05-25-2016 06:14 PM
    I presume you have the GeForce Experience installed, then? I meant the update from nvidia that came through windows update.
    Yeah I got the geforce expierence now. This update through Nvidia fixed the issues. The ones through microsoft didn't.
    05-26-2016 10:53 AM
    Yeah I got the geforce expierence now. This update through Nvidia fixed the issues. The ones through microsoft didn't.
    I may finally bite it and install geforce experience, then. I've been having some weird issues since this last nvidia driver that came through windows update and supposedly failed (but actually did install).
    05-26-2016 11:39 AM
    I may finally bite it and install geforce experience, then. I've been having some weird issues since this last nvidia driver that came through windows update and supposedly failed (but actually did install).
    What issues are you having?
    05-26-2016 11:46 AM
    What issues are you having?
    Strange things that otherwise did not happen prior to that driver update like my SB not waking from sleep, but being warm to the touch and totally locked up when it should be sleeping or in hibernation. One of these actually turned out that it was a BSOD that I never saw since the screen failed to come on, but found in the event log later as the old infamous pdc_watchdog (0x14f) bugcheck -- I have not yet run the windows diagnostics on the dump file to see what the culprit was, but in the past when I got this one, it was nearly always related to the nvidia driver.

I'm tempted just to install geforce experience to deal with the failed nvidia driver update (though it is working and installed, though Windows Update's history insists that the install failed). I also guess it's time to just go grab a newer windows 10 image and run the system file checker and dism again -- I've likely got more corrupt system files (and certainly will have the usual opencl.dll problem again).
    05-26-2016 04:35 PM
    Well I'd run that diagnostic to see if it can find and fix anything and then update the driver and see what happens from there.
    05-28-2016 10:46 AM
    I'm playing Fallout 4...for the MOST part it runs well but I run into that lock pick bug and I have to lower resolution in the Fallout config file to get it to work.
    Last edited by garak0410; 06-03-2016 at 01:42 PM.
    Andrea Mangano likes this.
    06-03-2016 11:37 AM
    I play scrap mechanic and the Orion project
    06-03-2016 12:02 PM
    I decreased resolution in rise of tomb raider to the lowest possible and was able to up the fx more and get a higher frame rate. looks ok and a bit more playable. End the end you can play this game but it seriously isn't meant for SB playing lol.
    06-07-2016 11:44 AM
    Anyone playing NBA 2k16 on the surface book? Using steam I mean.
    07-06-2016 01:54 AM
    Haven't tried NBA 2k16 but I did try WWE 2k16 and it ran ok. I assume it should run ok on low. Their games aren't the most optimized.
    07-07-2016 12:36 AM
    Haven't tried NBA 2k16 but I did try WWE 2k16 and it ran ok. I assume it should run ok on low. Their games aren't the most optimized.

What resolution did you use?
    07-08-2016 08:51 PM
    What resolution did you use?
    I believe I played it at about 960. It's usually what I aim for. 1080 is cool but since the surface is so small I can get away with dropping lower without hitting 720. I ended up getting a refund from steam for the game because it would crash. Apparently they never coded it good for windows 10 and had lots of complaints.
    07-09-2016 02:47 PM
    Im a little surprised no one has mentioned World of Warcraft. The default settings it picked for the SB get ~30fps, but I went in and turned down a bunch of the particle effects and other smaller details and now get ~45+ fps.

Anyone tried Forza 6 Apex? I've been wanting to give it a shot, but am afraid of how it'll run, and don't want to give up a bunch of hdd space if it doesn't run well.
    08-03-2016 01:20 PM
    Im a little surprised no one has mentioned World of Warcraft. The default settings it picked for the SB get ~30fps, but I went in and turned down a bunch of the particle effects and other smaller details and now get ~45+ fps.
    I made similar changes (including lowering the resolution a little) for Diablo III and squeaked much better performance out compared to the default settings that were chosen. Not surprising that this is also true for WoW (does anyone play WoW anymore except like the whole one of my battle.net buddies who's been at it a lot lately? LOL!)

Reading this thread again makes me want to fire up D3 on my couch this weekend for the start of season 7 instead of playing on my desktop. Haha.
    08-04-2016 12:01 PM
    Ive not checked my thread for quite some time, it seems that people are using their SB for gaming after all, I know I am. thus far Alien Isolation is the best graphical experience I've had, hands down this game runs and looks better than on my xbox one.

has anyone else had a similar experience with another game, most are trying to play latest titles and having to sacrifice graphics quality/fps.

cheers!
    08-05-2016 06:57 PM
    Hello folks. As an update I should let you guys know that I'm currently experiencing some discoloration around my screen so I may be returning my sb soon for a new one. With that said I am definitely able to run some games great! I've added the intel drivers manually which has given me a little more control and graphic push. I've done the same for the NVidia graphics, getting the NVidia experience thing as well.
    08-06-2016 05:35 AM
    I made similar changes (including lowering the resolution a little) for Diablo III and squeaked much better performance out compared to the default settings that were chosen. Not surprising that this is also true for WoW (does anyone play WoW anymore except like the whole one of my battle.net buddies who's been at it a lot lately? LOL!)

Reading this thread again makes me want to fire up D3 on my couch this weekend for the start of season 7 instead of playing on my desktop. Haha.

I don't play those games so sorry I have no input here.
    08-06-2016 05:36 AM
    Hello folks. As an update I should let you guys know that I'm currently experiencing some discoloration around my screen so I may be returning my sb soon for a new one. With that said I am definitely able to run some games great! I've added the intel drivers manually which has given me a little more control and graphic push. I've done the same for the NVidia graphics, getting the NVidia experience thing as well.
    Are you getting the yellow spots I've seen others mention?
    08-08-2016 11:03 AM
    Are you getting the yellow spots I've seen others mention?
    Yes. Getting it really bad.
    08-08-2016 12:31 PM
    Seems to happen when the SB gets really hot.
    08-08-2016 12:32 PM
68 123