SB Gaming Thread....What games are you guys running

Christopher Lindsay

May 8, 2014
Visit site
I have the steam version. No issues with it except for going to exclusive full screen mode. Tomb Raider doesn't seem to know what to do with the surface book's screen but that seems to be a common thing at thing point.

scionluna

Jun 19, 2014
Visit site
Thanks for the post guys.
I'm looking to buy a Surface Book so this is great to have some feedback on gaming on the Surface Book.

Posted from Windows Central for Windows 10

Christopher Lindsay

May 8, 2014
Visit site
Well. After completeing about 30% of Rise of Tomb Raider it's safe to say for sure that it is the most taxing gpu game I own. It's harder on the computer than the witcher 3. Playing it low at 720 with pretty much everything off has yielded between about 20 and 45 fps. I know that's a big number jump but it really just depends on the environment. The game really should've added an option to turn off the weather because that's what really kills the gpu. When you're inside of a building and there's no weather it runs super smooth on low but outside you can feel the cpu hit. Right now the only thing I leave on is Occalsion and FXAA filtering which has given me a FPS average of 35. Hopefully updates will optimize the game more, making it run better.

Jaysurf88

Aug 9, 2015
Visit site
I got that annoyed with rise of the tomb raider that I uninstalled it. frame rates too poor to play.

has anyone downloaded and tried the gears of war from the windows store yet? i'm keen to see if it runs well on surface book but im not prepared to take the costly leap.

cheers guys,

jay

Christopher Lindsay

May 8, 2014
Visit site
Well just got a driver update from the nvidia update (the one mentioned in the 'how to run doom on your surfacebook' article). It seems to have fixed a lot of the scaling issues I had with games. Games I couldn't run in full screen are running in full screen now perfectly fine.

zerospace-net

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
Well just got a driver update from the nvidia update (the one mentioned in the 'how to run doom on your surfacebook' article). It seems to have fixed a lot of the scaling issues I had with games. Games I couldn't run in full screen are running in full screen now perfectly fine.

What is the date on your driver & version? I got an update too, but my updates list says it failed to install.

zerospace-net

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
Yeah I got the geforce expierence now. This update through Nvidia fixed the issues. The ones through microsoft didn't.

I may finally bite it and install geforce experience, then. I've been having some weird issues since this last nvidia driver that came through windows update and supposedly failed (but actually did install).

zerospace-net

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
What issues are you having?

Strange things that otherwise did not happen prior to that driver update like my SB not waking from sleep, but being warm to the touch and totally locked up when it should be sleeping or in hibernation. One of these actually turned out that it was a BSOD that I never saw since the screen failed to come on, but found in the event log later as the old infamous pdc_watchdog (0x14f) bugcheck -- I have not yet run the windows diagnostics on the dump file to see what the culprit was, but in the past when I got this one, it was nearly always related to the nvidia driver.

I'm tempted just to install geforce experience to deal with the failed nvidia driver update (though it is working and installed, though Windows Update's history insists that the install failed). I also guess it's time to just go grab a newer windows 10 image and run the system file checker and dism again -- I've likely got more corrupt system files (and certainly will have the usual opencl.dll problem again).

garak0410

Jan 8, 2009
Visit site
I'm playing Fallout 4...for the MOST part it runs well but I run into that lock pick bug and I have to lower resolution in the Fallout config file to get it to work.

Last edited:

Christopher Lindsay

May 8, 2014
Visit site
I decreased resolution in rise of tomb raider to the lowest possible and was able to up the fx more and get a higher frame rate. looks ok and a bit more playable. End the end you can play this game but it seriously isn't meant for SB playing lol.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
quicktravo