SB Gaming Thread....What games are you guys running

Christopher Lindsay

May 8, 2014
Visit site
What resolution did you use?

I believe I played it at about 960. It's usually what I aim for. 1080 is cool but since the surface is so small I can get away with dropping lower without hitting 720. I ended up getting a refund from steam for the game because it would crash. Apparently they never coded it good for windows 10 and had lots of complaints.

wingdom

Feb 13, 2013
Visit site
Im a little surprised no one has mentioned World of Warcraft. The default settings it picked for the SB get ~30fps, but I went in and turned down a bunch of the particle effects and other smaller details and now get ~45+ fps.

Anyone tried Forza 6 Apex? I've been wanting to give it a shot, but am afraid of how it'll run, and don't want to give up a bunch of hdd space if it doesn't run well.

zerospace-net

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
Im a little surprised no one has mentioned World of Warcraft. The default settings it picked for the SB get ~30fps, but I went in and turned down a bunch of the particle effects and other smaller details and now get ~45+ fps.

I made similar changes (including lowering the resolution a little) for Diablo III and squeaked much better performance out compared to the default settings that were chosen. Not surprising that this is also true for WoW (does anyone play WoW anymore except like the whole one of my battle.net buddies who's been at it a lot lately? LOL!)

Reading this thread again makes me want to fire up D3 on my couch this weekend for the start of season 7 instead of playing on my desktop. Haha.

Jaysurf88

Aug 9, 2015
Visit site
Ive not checked my thread for quite some time, it seems that people are using their SB for gaming after all, I know I am. thus far Alien Isolation is the best graphical experience I've had, hands down this game runs and looks better than on my xbox one.

has anyone else had a similar experience with another game, most are trying to play latest titles and having to sacrifice graphics quality/fps.

cheers!

Christopher Lindsay

May 8, 2014
Visit site
Hello folks. As an update I should let you guys know that I'm currently experiencing some discoloration around my screen so I may be returning my sb soon for a new one. With that said I am definitely able to run some games great! I've added the intel drivers manually which has given me a little more control and graphic push. I've done the same for the NVidia graphics, getting the NVidia experience thing as well.

Christopher Lindsay

May 8, 2014
Visit site
I made similar changes (including lowering the resolution a little) for Diablo III and squeaked much better performance out compared to the default settings that were chosen. Not surprising that this is also true for WoW (does anyone play WoW anymore except like the whole one of my battle.net buddies who's been at it a lot lately? LOL!)

Reading this thread again makes me want to fire up D3 on my couch this weekend for the start of season 7 instead of playing on my desktop. Haha.

I don't play those games so sorry I have no input here.

zerospace-net

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
Hello folks. As an update I should let you guys know that I'm currently experiencing some discoloration around my screen so I may be returning my sb soon for a new one. With that said I am definitely able to run some games great! I've added the intel drivers manually which has given me a little more control and graphic push. I've done the same for the NVidia graphics, getting the NVidia experience thing as well.

Are you getting the yellow spots I've seen others mention?

VelJharig

May 31, 2011
Visit site
My general strategy is to set resolution around 720p to 1450x900, or sometimes 1080p for less intensive games, start with low settings, bump up the texture quality to medium, and go from there. I tend to focus on full game experiences where the combat is less twitch and either a bit slower or more strategic than an FPS shooter. I've got the following running in playable states (for the most part):

- The Witcher 3
- Elder Scrolls Online
- Dragon Age Inquisition
- Torment: Tides of Numenera
- Middle Earth: Shadows of Mordor
- Ori and the Blind Forest
- Deus Ex: Mankind Divided (this one is new... it's running around 15 FPS currently... still tweaking)
- And technically... Star Citizen (only Arena Commander... the PU isn't really playable due to framerate issues)

Christopher Lindsay

May 8, 2014
Visit site
My general strategy is to set resolution around 720p to 1450x900, or sometimes 1080p for less intensive games, start with low settings, bump up the texture quality to medium, and go from there. I tend to focus on full game experiences where the combat is less twitch and either a bit slower or more strategic than an FPS shooter. I've got the following running in playable states (for the most part):

- The Witcher 3
- Elder Scrolls Online
- Dragon Age Inquisition
- Torment: Tides of Numenera
- Middle Earth: Shadows of Mordor
- Ori and the Blind Forest
- Deus Ex: Mankind Divided (this one is new... it's running around 15 FPS currently... still tweaking)
- And technically... Star Citizen (only Arena Commander... the PU isn't really playable due to framerate issues)

I agree. lowering the resolution gets you a lot in favor of performance and since the SB is so small anyway its not bad on the eyes at lower resolution. I don't mind playing at 720 if it will give me room to play on medium or high.

anon(5818411)

Jun 21, 2014
Visit site
how can you guys play games? My CPU and Memory goes crazy when watching a youtube video. My computer was working so hard streaming a show on a random site that it crashed.

i have the i5, 256gb, 8gb, Nvidia model

Christopher Lindsay

May 8, 2014
Visit site
Just realized I never gave an update. I ended up getting a new Surface Book. The screen discoloration has gotten way out of hand. I really wish Microsoft would let me upgrade the base so I could game a little harder. Hopefully they change that policy.

PhalanxPunx

Aug 6, 2014
Visit site
I've been playing WoW Legion for a couple days now on the SB with Performance Base and runs really, really well. Using the recommended setting from GeForce Experience the visuals are amazing and I'm usually around 65 FPS.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb